The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Lanugo hair
26 Jun 2013, 11:56
I have noticed two lanugo hairs recently, one on my face and one on my body. It's a type of fine, long, unpigmented hair seen on people who starve or are malnutritioned.
Re: Lanugo hair
26 Jun 2013, 12:12
Hmm, I had some hairs like that before I started 5:2, so definitely not to do with starvation or malnutrition! In my case I think it is just an effect of the menopause. I don't know how you are doing your 5:2 but do you think you are starving/suffering malnutrition by restricting your foods on two days of the week? Your BMI suggests you are near to a healthy weight so I wouldn't have thought it likely?
26 Jun 2013, 12:16
Are you sure it's lanugo hair? It tends to be a covering of soft white fuzzy hair and doubt you would get 2 single hairs. Also you shouldn't be in a state of starvation or malnutrition on 5:2.
26 Jun 2013, 14:43
I don't think I'm starving or malnutritioned, no. Obviously other things can cause them too, if both Caroline and I have found some. Because of the timing, I think it likely that they are connected to fasting.

Maybe they aren't lanugo hairs, but they are white and fuzzy and very different from my normal wiry dark hair. They look exactly like the hairs I have seen on an anorexic woman.

I'm not worried because of two hairs, but it is a side-effect I have noticed and reported in case others have noticed the same.
26 Jun 2013, 14:56
Can't say I've noticed anything like this however I did used to have several 'man hairs' (as I call them) - that is, thicker dark hairs in unusual places, for example one on my neck. I used to pluck them which only made them thicker but since doing 5:2 they've vanished!
26 Jun 2013, 14:59
Lol, what a great side-effect, Moogie. I hope I get that too :smile:
26 Jun 2013, 16:50
I recently discovered that I got a looong pale hair on my chin - and thought it had to do with being pre-menopause. But it did appear about a month after I started fasting....
26 Jun 2013, 16:53
maybe we're turning into witches?? where's my broomstick.. :lol:
26 Jun 2013, 16:57
I have had a couple of those thick, long, see through 'old ladies' hairs on my chin and a couple in my eye brows. Where do they come from - they don't seem to grow, they just appear. Not had any since I started fasting.
26 Jun 2013, 17:03
Yes, it's as I thought- witches!!
27 Jun 2013, 13:17
I have one fine transparent hair right between my eyebrows! I've had it for years...maybe since my 20's? It can only be seen in just the right light so by the time I notice it in the mirror it's often quite long. I pluck it and it grows right back. I get so mad at it! LOL

If 5:2 is somehow triggering the hairs then I'd guess that it's revealing some underlying problem that's gone undetected until now.

@dhana: my stray hair isn't the only indicator that I'm a witch! :P
11 posts Page 1 of 1