The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

8 posts Page 1 of 1
'Side Effects' of Fasting
06 Feb 2013, 16:19
When I say 'side effects' I guess what I mean is a change in the body whilst going through this radical process.

I have been fasting for 5 weeks now and there seems to be 4 effects on me that are different to what my body experienced before fasting:-

1. Headaches - Appears to be a popular one with fasters and as other threads have said - it looks like sugar/water deficits are the most likely reasons. That said I had the headaches much more in the first week or so and they havent reaslly affected me since?

2. Erm..Not constipation - but certainly a change in 'cycle', etc. presumably the change in diet is the reason there.

3. Throat Dryness/swallowing - This seems to happen towards the end of the fasting day. I feel like I have something stuck in my throat and a bit dry. Not uncomfortable - just a bit irritating in sensation. Been drinking plenty of fluids as well..

4. Sleeping. This is a strange one and maybe it's just me, but when I go to bed after fasting, I sleep ok, but I wake up much earlier than normal (3am/4am) and am wide awake. Not hungry - just awake?! Strange...

Anyhow I wonder if anyone else has experienced these - particularly points 3 and 4 as the first 2 seem quite common with fasters.. Maybe it's just me !?!?!
Re: 'Side Effects' of Fasting
06 Feb 2013, 20:00
No headaches,but constipation and dry throat. I just increase my fluids for the throat and the constipation is being sorted by increase in fibre. One other side effect for me has been a sense of elation and clear mindedness on fast days
06 Feb 2013, 20:06
I am prone to headaches at the best of time - but certainly fasting days can be a step too far and sometimes I really suffer - ending up going to bed in a dark room! No signs of point 2 - possibly the opposite with all the veg and fruit that I eat! No signs of point 3 either. Point 4 - at the end of a fast day I do find myself very tired - drop off as soon as I sit down to watch a bit of tv towards the end of an evening. Sleep very well, but don't wake early - I also feel elated, like Felixcat, but that tends to be the day after a feast day. Don't know if that helps in any way - this is all a bit of a mystery tour at the moment isn't it, with us all acting as guinea pigs to see what works! Best of luck twicky and Felixcat. :)
07 Feb 2013, 08:37
I basically dont get to sleep on a fasting day till the small hours.. 2-3am, it drives me crazy but not enough to make me stop fasting.. Im in 23rd week now so its not one of those "it will pass" things
07 Feb 2013, 08:50
Insomnia is a natural side effect of fasting due to the slight stress on the body releasing cortisol which increases alertness. Dr M says he keeps a few calories for a small glass of milk at bedtime which helps. I mentioned this to someone on one of the other threads where insomnia was discussed and they said it helped them too.

I sleep pretty badly all the time anyway and apart from the first few fasts it's not been any worse and on feed days it is often better, so that's a positive effect for me!
07 Feb 2013, 15:29
No I cant say I have experienced any of those side effects, I sleep really well and that hasnt been affected.
09 Feb 2013, 08:28
The biggest side effect that I have found is that it seems to be extremely detrimental to my golf! I have been fasting for three weeks and my weekly golf game has been exceptionally bad today I had my worst game ever! :?
11 Feb 2013, 11:21
Since I started 5:2 I don't feel like eating yoghurts. They are waiting for me in the fridge. What's going on? I'm known to be a big fan of them.
8 posts Page 1 of 1