The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

23 posts Page 2 of 2
It sounds like a wonderful trip, though bad news about you not feeling too good while you were there. I know what you mean about the motherly advice, @peebles!

My daughter is, as I write, making final preparations for the opening of a second outlet for her bakery in Madrid, Spain. She works incredibly long hours and is having to deal with all sorts of problems, including having her new premises sold from under her only a few days before she was due to open, but loves what she does and doesn't seem to feel the pain! All I want to do is fly out there and help her but I'm not allowed! :smile:

If ever anyone is in Madrid, PM me and I'll let you have the address of the undisputed best bakery in Madrid! - Red velvet cupcakes -Mmmmmm....! :grin:
Goodness @peebles just tell us where it is!
I think I'm quite glad that this fabulous restaurant is not within a 10 mile radius of me or I would be regaining my lost 3 st. ( 42 lbs/19kgs ) in no time. You must be one very proud mother and why not? You've obviously done something, actually make that a lot, right with you parenting techniques. congratulations to your son and also to his very supportive parents. :like:

Ballerina x :heart:
@carorees, Well, if you insist <g>!

It's The Carvery in Columbus, Ohio.

WARNING DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE FASTING!

http://www.carverycolumbus.com/

You can see the latest review here: http://www.columbusalive.com/content/st ... ntown.html

The food in the pictures at the head of the review is the actual food we ate, as after the photographer took the pictures right before the restaurant opened on Friday, and when he got done we got to eat them.

I realized reading some other posts here that it is common to have pork sandwiches in the UK. It's not here. In fact, this is the first time I've ever seen a pork sandwich at an American restaurant. And these ones have crisped up pork belly wrapped around the pork loin. Uh-oh! I'm fasting today. Must think of something else!
Peebles - how utterly great!! I loved your post and I think your son is a brave and clever man.

Letting go and let the kids live their own lives is hard. Most know that Sam left home when he was 16 for secondary school in a town 180km south of us and by time, now he is 18 of age and with a brand new drivers license in his pocket and I have learned not to poke my nose in or give him advice he hasn't asked for. At times he ask for them, but don't heed them at all. Hehe, you can see John's (15) glaze over when The DH rants or advise him on future educations or occupations....
peebles wrote: @Merlin, Having watched a lot of my friends' kids grow up, I have come to think it is a bit unfair to link their outcomes to our parenting. I know some very good parents whose kids have turned out very badly due to mental health issues that they had no control over. And some of the most successful, creative, loving people I've known, including OH, grew up with toxic, neglectful parents in downright Dickensian circumstances. My OH could have easily become a criminal with the childhood he suffered which included a long stint of slave labor on a remote farm. Instead he has become a very successful artist who has become wealthy selling his work--and who treats everyone he meets with incredible kindness and generosity.

So while I am thrilled with how well my son is doing, I will try to resist the temptation to take credit for it. He has worked insanely hard to get where he is, at times under very difficult conditions, 60 hours a week, with shifts that ended at 4AM most of the time and only one day off. His work ethic is very much his own, as is his remarkable ability to get along with people. Since his parents and step dad are all antisocial hermits, the social abilities must be a genetic mutation.

Thanks @peebles and @Merlin. I relate to you both - Merlin your life journey fits part of mine, but I also relate to you peebles as your journey also relates to a part of mine.

That is why I love this community. We share our challenges, perspectives, accomplishments and above all we are honest.

Liz :heart: :smile:
Oh my Peebles - that looks fab!! I love restaurants where you can see into the kitchen - and everything looks great! :-)
It looks a fabulous place, @peebles, and the review was amazing! I can only wish your son the very best of success! :smile:
23 posts Page 2 of 2