The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

614 posts Page 38 of 41
Previous 1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 Next
Re: BUDDIES SET #19
13 May 2015, 16:40
Yippeeeeee, here you are. I know you were not far!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sorry to hear you are not feeling well - I thought so. What a shame I can't be of more help to you. Your medical conditions (IBS etc.) must make it very difficult for you and I really can't give you any advise on that. All I can do is try and motivate you. But that is not always possible and if you need some space and possibly some weeks without fasting then just tell me. there is no pressure at all, just motivation.

Just think of the service you did to Adam for eating his candy. :razz:

On Sunday night, I didn't eat the ice cream but I had already eaten over TDEE and enough sugar on the day.
On Saturday I went shopping and didn't have lunch so I ate a packet of biscuits. When I looked at the calories (afterwards) I noticed that EACH biscuit contained 110 cals and I must have had about 12. That was my whole TDEE. But I also had breakfast and had to have something in the evening.

So I had to fast on Monday and it did go all right. I didn't eat until I got home from work and then had a plateful of red cabbage (I love my red cabbage cooked with onions, an apple and some finely cut smoked bacon for flavour + a table spoon of wine vinegar)
After that I had some lentils and carrots cooked similarly but without the apple with a lovely smokey flavour. I don't know how much that was but certainly not above 500cals.

I will fast again on Friday. I wonder if that is better for me because it is closer to the weekend which is my weak time and if I can shorten that time.

Take Care BIG HUG
13 May 2015, 22:14
Good for you for not eating the ice cream!!! :victory: I still have to work on my all or nothing thinking. I just can't do moderation. My stomach issues are so intermittent that I never know what to eat. I made the mistake of eating more fats when I cut out the sugar and carbs and my gut doesn't process fats easily. I just made the same mistake at supper making curried squash and coconut soup. Too much fat in the coconut. Yesterday I went a little overboard on the walnuts and pecans which are also high in fats, even though they are the good kind. Just so many things to think about that it seems inevitable I will forget something. Anyway, I am very full now from my soup but hope I will be hungry later for a snack. I went to water my friend's plants today and resisted the Lindt Easter chocolate she left for me. Small win! I plan on fasting on Friday, too. No big dinner plans so shouldn't be so difficult. I will keep on fasting Ieramul or I will quickly lose my motivation to lose weight. Strictly counting calories did not work for me. Low carbs is also difficult but I will continue to combine that with the fasting.

Your red cabbage and lentils sound delicious! My Oma would make red cabbage with vinegar, apples, whole cloves and some sugar. It was soooo good, my favorite part of Sunday dinners. Christmas now doesn't seem like Christmas without red cabbage. :smile:

Have a good evening! and thanks so much for being my buddy! :heart:
14 May 2015, 16:19
That's my girl, steph, you are a strong lady - no giving up.

I really feel for you wanting to cut down on carbs but not tolerating fats. I am sooooo lucky to have no health issues (bar back pain) I have taken to eating a lot of nuts since cutting down on sugars/carbs. I love them and then I worry that I have eaten too many calories but to my eternal surprise it never seems to show on the scales. I have since heard that the calories in almonds are not all digested, so not a big problem. I am sure this is true for other nuts as well.

I toyed with the idea of fasting today, but then decided not to because I was quite "empty" this morning and felt I should have breakfast as I couldn't imagine lasting out until this evening. So had a boiled egg and a small roll with jam for breakfast and then throughout the day I had about 100g mixed nuts. It was someone's birthday here in the office and I had two small pieces of cake, which I didn't enjoy all that much. I dont' know why I tried the chocolate cake as I don't like it and the Victoria sponge was OK. There was nothing wrong with the quality, they were excellent cakes but I didn't fancy any more. WOW great news indeed.

Now I am fasting tomorrow and have to go for lunch with a colleague. Not sure how to tackle this. She generally just has some chips/french fries so I am going to see how many calories that has.

After a few wonderful days the weather has turned miserable again. Rain, rain, rain.

I hope your fast is going well, I am rooting for you. Take Care and lots of hugs.
15 May 2015, 03:20
Hi Ieramul, I wasn't strong today, gave in to crackers and even bought a chocolate bar- something I haven't done in what seems like ages. I think this week's terrible eating started on Sunday when Adam gave me cookies and ice cream for Mother's Day, and has just lasted throughout the week. I briefly contemplated calling one of the OA members tonight but decided that I really wanted the chocolate. A choice I consciously made. Why? I don't know. I haven't stepped on the scale for a few days now, not wanting to see how much I've gained. I will fast tomorrow, have some lovely soup I'll eat when I get home. I also have some cooked chicken breast to have in salad if I get hungry in the evening. The soup really filled me up on Wednesday so hopefully it will do the same tomorrow.

I love nuts, too. Had some today. How wonderful that you can eat them without worrying about the calories! Odd how sometimes the treats, like cake, don't taste as good as we think they should. That has happened to me in the past too. I remember at my friend's birthday party I had both cakes served and didn't like either but went back for more. Something to do with the sugar brain I think. :bugeyes:

It was lovely today, not too hot and not too cold. The sun came out after a few days of rain and cooler temperatures. I think it is supposed to stay sunny all weekend. The trees have all leafed out now, and it sure feels like spring! Spring and fall are my favorite times of year. Sorry to hear you're dealing with rain. I hope it doesn't bring you down.

Can you have a small salad at lunch tomorrow? with the dressing on the side? or a small bowl of soup at the restaurant? tough to go out when you are fasting! So far I haven't had to deal with that, except when I visit my friend, Ille, but she has stopped offering me cake when I'm there. Makes it so much easier to have such an obliging friend :smile: Does your co-worker know about your fasting WOL?

Time for bed again. Just finished my second cup of Chai tea. Crazy to be drinking tea right before bed, I'll be up several times tonight heading to the bathroom! :lol:

Good luck on your fast! :clover: We CAN be successful! Enjoy your time with your colleague. :heart:
15 May 2015, 14:34
Hi Steph, well I did go for lunch with my colleague and had a portion of french fries and (what I thought was) diet coke. Beforehand I ate half a cucumber and a bell pepper with some dip so I wouldn't be too hungry going into a pub. Now, I don't have any idea where I am standing because I don't know if my coke was diet.

I can either do my fast tomorrow or eat below TDEE for the next two days and start afresh on Monday - which is probably what I am going to do because I don't think I can fast at the weekend when I am at home. Hey ho, that is life. As long as I can stay below TDEE I should be fine.

Steph, have I told you that I have taken up Yoga recently? I had been looking to join a Pilates class after work but could not find one. They seem to be either during the day or at eight o'clock in the evening when I don't feel like going out again. So I stumbled across this class straight after work at 6 o'clock and I reaaaaallly, really enjoy it. Sitting at a desk most of the day, my shoulders and back have become so tense. Yoga is such a relief, I can't even describe how wonderful this stretching feels. It looks so easy and as if no effort is needed but it seems to address every muscle in my body as they are all aching at the moment.
I can't recommend Yoga, Pilates or plain Stretching enough.

So, one day I will send you a picture with me having my legs wound around my head. :razz: :lol: BTW the first time I went I could not balance very easily on one leg but now it is already so much easier.

Take Care BIG HUG
15 May 2015, 21:15
Hello Ieramul, yoga is great for strengthening muscles and increasing balance. I'm so happy you've found something you enjoy! and that it fits into your schedule! Wonderful! Last time I tried yoga I kept falling over and that was when I was on my hands and knees. LOL. There are no classes for it I've found that fit in my schedule. Tried pilates, too and oh my! it is tough! The class I go to does some cardio and then lots of strength training and mat work. It targets the entire body and I come home exhausted :). I used to go three times a week but now only twice as Fridays I work. My coworker, Terri, has just been hired for a full time sales position at a rent-a-centre. I'm sorry to see her go. She was so much fun to work with, calling all the customers darling and hon. She was always chipper. I met her replacement today who seems warm and personable. I kept messing up on cash today. I was flustered and anxious when I started my shift and felt the same when I finished. Some days are just like that for me. Oh well.

Isn't it great that we can jump right back into fasting or low cal eating on another day if we go over on other days? You do so well with low cal days! My fast so far is going well. Although, I've eaten about 350 cals so far and really want to keep eating. It has only been 2 hours since eating and I shouldn't be hungry. Another 6 to go until bed time. Will I make it? :bugeyes: I'm telling myself I can have tofu soup from a Thai restaurant just down the street for my meal tonight. It will be a treat. I'm thinking of calling someone from OA, not mentioning I'm fasting, though, just that I am trying hard not to binge (which is the truth). It is supper time for many people and I'm not sure who to call or if I should wait an hour or so. OH! I will call my good friend, Jane, who lives in Alberta. There is a two hour time difference so she won't be eating supper.
I'll do that right now!

Take care, big hug :heart:
16 May 2015, 13:24
OMG! I don't know how I did it. I lost 2 lbs this week! :victory: I made so many poor food choices this past week I was not looking forward to this morning's weigh in. I had a great fast day yesterday stayed at or under 500 calories. Phoning a friend when I still wanted to eat in the afternoon was a great strategy because I wasn't hungry and the desire to keep eating was gone by the time I hung up the phone. Perhaps I should call the OA members more often during the week when I want to binge. Adam brought home a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie for me from school yesterday. I wasn't even tempted last night but am thinking I will eat some of it after lunch and then chuck the rest in the compost. It is a large cookie :). I shudder to think how many calories are in it. Shocking when each small cookie is 110 calories as you mentioned. This one must be over 250.

I'm off to the library and then to the OA meeting. I'm not sure these meetings are helping but perhaps I can become more comfortable with the members and that will translate into not being so shy when thinking of phoning someone. It is a strange format, though, with all the reading we do. Last week I didn't say much after I read my piece. Was too shy to express my opinion. Hopefully, today will be different.

Enjoy the day! :heart:
18 May 2015, 12:00
Whopeeeeeee, Steph, well done for losing the two pounds. I hope it has given you the motivation to make good food choices over the weekend.

How are you doing today? How was your weekend?

We had a glorious weekend here and I went for a 10km walk with the rambler's club and it was phantastic. I walked in a fasted state and had lunch only on my return at 2pm. But once I started eating I couldn't stop and snacked all day. Silly really. In the evening I went for another 3km walk and afterwards I did some Yoga. Depsite all this the scales showed my typical dispapointing Monday weigh in of 50.5kg. Mid-week I am usually 49.6 and then mess it up at the weekend. But I have now revised my arbitrary goal of 49kg up to 50kg which was my original goal before I revised it downwards for some wiggle room. But I have been this weight since October last year and I need to accept that this is probably my set weight.

I am fasting today and so far I am fine (it is 1pm here) I very rarely have a problem with not eating until the afternoon but once I start eating, I just want to tuck in properly or treat myself. Once I give myself permission that is it.
Take care and BIG HUG
18 May 2015, 14:06
Hello Ieramul, I've decided to weigh myself only on Saturdays. Weighing everyday and seeing the numbers go up and down and up is so discouraging and then I throw in the towel. Yesterday was a right off, in terms of sweets, I ate three little Lindt chocolate easter eggs, yes I finally gave in when I was watering the plants at my friend's. When I got home this flu hit suddenly with a very sore throat, body pain and exhaustion. I think I've had a fever since last night, don't have a thermometer. I spent all day yesterday on the couch feeling rotten. I didn't eat much so it was a half fast, unintentionally. Don't know what I'll eat today my throat hurts every time I swallow. Enough complaining!

Wow, you go girl! all that walking and yoga to boot. And maintaining since October. It is so difficult not to gain, after losing weight, it just wants to creep back on, in my experience anyway. You are doing so well to keep it in check.

Do you have someone you can call to distract yourself when you've eaten but still want to eat more? I now have a "sponsor" from OA. She called me last night but I was so ill I couldn't talk with her. It will be interesting to see how this works. Once I'm well enough to talk on the phone LOL.

Time to check in on Adam and perhaps make him something to eat. He hasn't been eating well. Yesterday he had two pieces of pizza and some ramen noodles. I couldn't make him anything to eat and he was so busy with his video games he didn't want to take the time to eat! I get so damn frustrated! and concerned. He is so skinny. 6"1' and only 120 lbs! The doctor says that's fine. Grrr.

Have a lovely day! no hugs today- don't want to get you ill! :wink:
18 May 2015, 21:48
Oh, Steeeeeeph, that is just too bad, being so ill now. I hope you get better very soon. I hope you are like me and never feel hungry when ill. My DH is the opposite, he can eat even more when ill. I don't understand it. I always believed that when ill the body shuts down the digestive system in order to repair itself. If you can lose another pound this week then at least the illness had some positive effect. :wink:

Steph, don't worry about Adam's weight just try and get him to eat some healthy food and make him see the danger of soda. Unless you think he is not eating on purpose, as long as he gets nutritious food, the weight will be OK.

I managed to fast until after I got home from work at 6pm and had some french bread with cheese. I know it is not the healthiest food but DH had bought it and I always fancy fresh bread. I might have had about 600 cals so I am happy. It is late now and I am getting hungry again, so I need to go to bed.

I hope you are getting better very soon, maybe Adam can look after you and pamper you a bit. :smile:

Take care, BIG Hug (I don't mind your germs)
19 May 2015, 16:30
Hello there Ieramul,

Fresh bread is one of my favorite foods! I rarely have it, though, as it just sends me into binge mode, even worse than candy. So glad you could enjoy it! and that you managed a fast regardless of your treat. :victory:

I'm still sick. I got up early to get ready to go to the school and my throat was hurting terribly. Decided I should probably stay home so I don't spread my flu germs all around the school. I went back to bed and awoke with sneezing and a runny nose which I think are allergies not related to this bug. But I did feel better, regardless and did some laundry and put some chicken to marinade in anticipation of tonight's curried stirfry which I haven't made before and hope will taste good. Adam requested a coconut curry chicken dish that I've made before but I don't have any chicken breasts in the house for it and I just bought the chicken legs for this stirfry so I am making that. I will make his "yellow chicken" later in the week, or maybe Adam and I can make it together on Sunday. We have gotten out of the routine of making supper together and must get back into it! Now, after doing those two things I am exhausted so the dishes will just have to wait until I rest for a while. So frustrating to be sick! Adam did laundry yesterday and made his own supper, the ramen noodles again, but at least I didn't have to get off the couch to help. I'm so glad I feel better today.

Oh my, what complaining! I managed a low calorie day , under my TDEE not a fast, yesterday and may do the same today. I don't usually feel that hungry when ill but think, somehow, that healthy food is needed by my body to hasten healing. Hadn't thought of the digestive tract shutting down. Some people I know will go to exercise classes or to the gym when they have a cold but I won't. I think the body shouldn't be stressed anymore than it already is by the illness. You have to let the body do it's healing work.

I checked my blood glucose this morning and it was higher than it should be. I'm hoping to get it down, somehow -maybe get back into walking every day- before I see my doctor in July for my A1c results. He keeps saying I am doing alright because of the good A1c but I don't like my morning levels. I must start to eat better, although from what I've read the glucose level has nothing to do with what I've eaten the night before but with the hormones pumping, or rather, not pumping through my system while I sleep. "sigh" But, overall I have to stop eating sweets, I know they can't be good for me!

Time for me to head to the couch to recoup some of my energy. Enjoy the day Ieramul! Your walking puts mine to shame! I'm amazed at how far you can walk. That must be helping you stay within your maintenance range. :heart: big, sick, hug :smile:
21 May 2015, 11:01
Hi Steph, I hope you are feeling better again and managed your food OK.

I can't believe it is already Thursday. I am attempting a fast today, but it will probably be more along the lines of a low cal day. Anything is a bonus for me.

Tomorrow I am taking the day off to visit my oldest daughter who is getting married next month and spend a couple of days with her - probably making some decorations or so. DH is away until Sunday so it will be a girls only weekend. I am always quite happy when I am away because I know that when not in my own house I don't over eat (generally) - but nonetheless I want today's fast to be the reason for a guilt free weekend. However, I don't think we will be overdoing things as DH no doubt will not want to put on weight but rather try and lose a few pounds before the wedding. If I can, I will be posting from my DH's house.

Next Monday is a bank holiday so after today I am a bit in holiday mood.

So that leaves me to wish you a speedy recovery, a great weigh-in on Saturday and lots of hugs from Adam. :lol:
21 May 2015, 23:24
Hello Ieramul, I'm so happy you get to spend some time with your daughter before the wedding as you most likely won't get the chance very soon after it. Where are she and her husband honeymooning? And a 4 day holiday! what a treat.

I am feeling so much better now, and my allergies aren't acting up today, thankfully. I've been reading some OA literature and I realize after reading Step One again I still am having trouble with it as I must say that I am powerless over food and give myself over the a higher power. I don't know if I am powerless as I am able to fast and eat properly when I decide to. Perhaps it is the other times, when I binge, that are indicative of not having control. I figure I should be able to do it on my own, that there is nothing to gain by saying that only some other being or entity can give me the power to eat sensibly. Hm. I have yet to connect with my sponsor this week. Not sure what will happen when I do, don't have a clue what to expect but perhaps she can help with this inability to "work " Step One.

I think I will make yet another cup of tea and sit outside for a bit. Adam is watching tv and eating his take-out sandwich that he bought. So much easier on me, not having to cook for him.

Enjoy your time with your daughter! great big bear hug :heart:
26 May 2015, 10:56
Good Morning, my lovely buddy!!!

Sorry for neglecting you for so long and hope you are doing fine.

I hope you have been able to talk to someone in the OA group re step 1. I understand your dilemma re higher power if you don't believe in a God or higher power. I also understand that you would think that it would signal to yourself that you can't do anything of your own. It would not be a problem for me because I do believe in God and that in him I can place my trust. It does not mean God is using a magic wand and we don't need to do anything but that he gives us strength. It also does not mean that we will never fail, but that we keep trying and not give up on ourselves because God never gives up.

Wonderful to hear you are feeling better in yourself with regards to allergies. I like the fact that you can sit outside - do you have a garden or a balcony?

My weekend with DD was lovely and we got quite a bit done. She is a perfectionist and that can be a tad trying. :lol: The wedding is now in less than three weeks. I can't believe it has come round so fast.

I thought I had overindulged quite a bit since last Thursday and was prepared for the worst this morning when I stepped on the scales. Luckily I am just at top of my maintenance range and with a fast today, I should be OK again. Have you been able to fast? I look forward to hearing how you are doing.

Lots of love, hugs and take care
26 May 2015, 12:17
Well, hello there! Good to see you back and to hear all went well with your visit with your daughter.Before you know it the wedding will be upon you. Three weeks will just fly by!

I am doing well except these darn allergies are on me full force. I'm hoping once I get to the school this morning they will abate. They usually do when I am inside a large building. Sitting in my apartment is the worst it seems.

I lost another couple of pounds last week but then blew it on Saturday eating pecan butter tarts and chocolate. After the first tart the second and third did not taste very good, just way too sweet but I ate them anyway! Story of my life :(. I attempted a fast yesterday but only managed a half fast eating between 7 and 800 calories. Better than nothing I suppose. Perhaps I can do another low calorie day today or tomorrow and then a proper fast on Friday. I'm always motivated on Fridays because my weekly weigh in is Saturday morning.

I did talk with my sponsor only one day this week and my home phone isn't working right now and I haven't had a chance to call the phone company yet. Dreading it actually. I've had so much trouble over the past 6 years with this company but I am stuck with them as my landlord doesn't want a satellite dish on the house, the only other alternative for phone, internet and cable tv that is available. Anyway, Betty, my sponsor, just said that many people have trouble with step 1, admitting they are powerless and that life is unmanageable. I overeat but I don't find my life to be unmanageable. Sometimes I wish I had faith like yours as it might make things easier I think but I cannot get my mind around it. Too logical or something.

I don't have a balcony or flower garden at the house so I sit on the front steps, either on my house or the neighbour's next door if he is out. I did have a community vegetable garden for 4 years but gave that up last year. Someone kept stealing my vegetables. They actually dug up all of my potatoes! I was so ticked and called up the coordinator to cancel my involvement in the project. She said, theft of vegetables was to be expected and is just one aspect of community gardening. To heck with that! I am not growing vegetables for everyone else, spending all of my time and money. Not only were my potatoes stolen but so were my melons, tomatoes, and cucumbers. So darn frustrating. I do get to sit on my friend's veranda later this afternoon and gaze at her incredibly beautiful flower garden, though. I look forward to it all winter.

Enjoy the day Ieramul! It is bright and sunny but it is supposed to get quite warm again with high humidity. Take care! and good luck on your fast, I know you can do it! :clover: :heart:
Previous 1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 Next
614 posts Page 38 of 41