The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

614 posts Page 39 of 41
Previous 1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 Next
Re: BUDDIES SET #19
26 May 2015, 14:31
Well Steph, only another pound or two to go and you will have hit your target. Well done!!! I think 125lb will be a big milestone and well worth putting in the effort for. I am willing you on to succeed!!! :lol: :cool: :heart: :clover: :like:

May is the most wonderful month of the year, with spring being in full force and the whole of summer still ahead. I hope you allergies abate soon, I have problems like that too. I haven't found the culprit yet - some days are better - some are worse.

It is now half past three and I have had four dried apricots at midday and a couple of hand full of mixed nuts. My fast days are not as strict as they used to be, but as long as I can fit in a few low calorie days into the week I should be OK.

Take care and good luck with hitting your target by the end of the month.
27 May 2015, 02:45
OMG I did it again! I visited my friend and brought some melon and walnuts for my lunch - it's a non fast day - and then asked her if I could have a slice of bread, the first actual bread from a loaf - not a roll or bagel- but real German rye I've had in months. Well, I had three slathered with butter. Then she brought out some German chocolate which she didn't want so I, of course started eating it. I finally put it aside and Ille told me to take it home. I was proud of myself when I got home. I took it out of the package, broke it all up and dumped it in the compost on top of some taco meat that had been sitting there all day. WELL. All that wasn't too bad but then I had to buy chicken and ribs with french fries, a bread roll, coleslaw which I gobbled up. Then full to bursting I sent Adam to the corner store to get me some pop and chocolate smarties! Again, with this all or nothing thinking. "I already ate some chocolate I might as well eat more and then refrain starting tomorrow". But, the really awful thing? I rooted in the compost, took out a piece of chocolate, washed it off and ate it! Washing chocolate no less! don't know how clean I got it but it didn't taste like taco meat LOL. Now I feel so awful physically and am berating myself. I don't know if I'll maintain my 2 lbs weight loss this week. Certainly not if I continue eating this way! Tomorrow I will eat healthy leftovers from our Sunday dinner and perhaps the rest of the stir fry I had for yesterday's fast. Good grief, just wanted to say I messed up LOL.

Did you succeed on your fast day/low cal day? I'm sure you did! I just came in from a short walk and I think I will go out for another before bed. Have to make sure Adam takes a shower first and brushes his teeth. He is 19 and hates me nagging but if I don't he doesn't take care of his teeth. He had 3 cavities in December which were all fixed in January and February and now he has three more! The dentist said he has too much and the worst kind of bacteria in his mouth eating away at his teeth and his poor oral hygiene doesn't help.

Night, night/good morn! Big hugs and lots of love from your long distance buddy.
27 May 2015, 08:43
Hi Steph, so sorry, you got sucked into eating all that food. I don't know why our brains think that once we have done something silly, we can might as well continue until midnight and be good tomorrow. Does this only apply to food? I don't think that when we behave badly socially we apply the same logic. For example when we have an argument with someone we don't think "Oh, well I have been really unfair to that person but what the heck let's continue rowing and be nice to her tomorrow" Very strange but it sadly happens to everybody.

I am a bit alarmed by Adam's teeth problem. I watched a you tube clip where they say that many American children are losing their teeth because of all the soda they drink all day. I know it is difficult with a 19 year old but if you could persuade him to give up sugary drinks, that would be more important than the brushing of teeth. My oldest daughter has taken to drinking diet coke (in her adulthood) and I am not happy about it. I think she is addicted to the caffeine but does not like coffee. She gets quite edgy when I tell her about the evil of diet drinks.

My fast day was not very successful yesterday so I will try again on Thursday. I had dried apricots at midday, about 100g of mixed nuts in the afternoon, a couple of boiled potatoes with butter (one my favourite food) and finished it off with a punnet of grapes. I probably ate to TDEE but it was all healthy and that is OK.

I have found that I can avoid sweet food if I eat nuts and fresh fruit instead. This morning I had a banana, some blueberries and two slices of crisp bread with a bit of butter as well as quite a few mixed nuts. For lunch I am going to have fresh raw vegetables with quark dip and tonight I am going to have a steak with vegetables. Lets see if I can pull it off and not have anything sweet (apart from fruit). Your account of yesterday reminded me how close we are to a binge at any time.

A sugar binge is only a processed carb away. :lol:

Take care and courage, BIG HUG
27 May 2015, 08:44
Hi Steph, so sorry, you got sucked into eating all that food. I don't know why our brains think that once we have done something silly, we might as well continue until midnight and be good tomorrow. Does this only apply to food? I don't think that when we behave badly socially we apply the same logic. For example when we have an argument with someone we don't think "Oh, well I have been really unfair to that person but what the heck let's continue rowing and be nice to her tomorrow" Very strange but it sadly happens to everybody.

I am a bit alarmed by Adam's teeth problem. I watched a you tube clip where they say that many American children are losing their teeth because of all the soda they drink all day. I know it is difficult with a 19 year old but if you could persuade him to give up sugary drinks, that would be more important than the brushing of teeth. My oldest daughter has taken to drinking diet coke (in her adulthood) and I am not happy about it. I think she is addicted to the caffeine but does not like coffee. She gets quite edgy when I tell her about the evil of diet drinks.

My fast day was not very successful yesterday so I will try again on Thursday. I had dried apricots at midday, about 100g of mixed nuts in the afternoon, a couple of boiled potatoes with butter (one my favourite food) and finished it off with a punnet of grapes. I probably ate to TDEE but it was all healthy and that is OK.

I have found that I can avoid sweet food if I eat nuts and fresh fruit instead. This morning I had a banana, some blueberries and two slices of crisp bread with a bit of butter as well as quite a few mixed nuts. For lunch I am going to have fresh raw vegetables with quark dip and tonight I am going to have a steak with vegetables. Lets see if I can pull it off and not have anything sweet (apart from fruit). Your account of yesterday reminded me how close we are to a binge at any time.

A sugar binge is only a processed carb away. :lol:

Take care and courage, BIG HUG
27 May 2015, 13:14
Hey there Ieramul,

I like your rowing analogy. I must remember that the next time I am tempted to throw in the towel. You know, I didn't even think to call an OA member until after I had binged. Funny that, I guess my mind just took over. My sponsor and I haven't really gotten anything off the ground which is too bad because I think doing a daily call in to her submitting a food plan for the day would really help me keep on track. Perhaps she will be at Saturday's meeting and we can talk. Another OA member who lives in my town -the OA meeting is in a nearby city- and I have a phone date for this evening. I met her at a coffee shop a few weeks ago. I'm so pleased she's been thinking of me and has reached out.

I hadn't really thought of the pop connection to Adam's teeth. Strange as I want to him to cut down for other health benefits. He has been drinking less these days. He buys cans of it and then drinks a bit and puts the opened can in the fridge. A day later he throws it out because it has gone flat. Small steps. I've decided not to buy juice for him anymore because of the high sugar content. I want him to just drink milk and water. He wants a new water bottle to take to school so we will buy one this weekend. I'm really rethinking the food he takes to school. It is all processed, high in sugar, fat and salt. I struggle to find healthy food he will eat at school. I've sent fresh fruit with him in the past and he hasn't eaten it, not even fresh strawberries! I found a recipe online for cheddar crackers using real cheese. I will make them on the weekend and see if they turn out. He always takes packaged crackers to school.I'm also going to look for a healthy alternative to granola bars that I can make myself, perhaps with Adam's help so he may be more inclined to eat them. I have to do something, Adam eats so poorly. I usually just think about calories, trying to make sure he eats enough but I have to change that thinking and try to find better choices.

You sure did eat healthy foods yesterday! good for you. I will try for a low calorie day today or at least stay under my TDEE. I plan on waiting until 4 pm to eat my first meal. I will be out of the house and busy until then so it shouldn't be too difficult. I eat fresh fruit when I'm looking for a sweet fix too, although if I eat a banana I start wanting to eat more and more of everything in the house. It is a trigger food for me and I love bananas. So, I stick to melons and berries. I've been taking to eating fruit with walnuts or pecans. Raw nuts. The roasted kind send me into a tailspin. Dried fruit does the same thing. I bought some dried cranberries last week to put in salads and ate the entire container in a few days, not even in salads. Then I bought a little bag of dried currants, also ostensibly for salads and ate them in one sitting.

Your eating plan for the day sounds sensible. Quark here is very expensive so that is not a practical choice of a dip :(. I don't eat many raw vegetables but do have lettuce all washed and prepped in the fridge and have no desire to eat it. Nutty.

Anyway, enough talk of food! Time to get on with the day. Take care Ieramul! enjoy the day.

p.s. my new car's front brake has been squealing for the past couple of weeks so I took it into the shop. The guy took off the tires and checked the brakes, spent 45 minutes doing this, then told me my brakes were in excellent condition they just had too much brake fluid on them. He offered to take them apart and clean them but I said NO WAY, not if the car is safe without doing it. I'm not spending money on unnecessary repairs. Well, the guy came out of the garage and handed me the car key, said, "have a good day!" He didn't charge me a cent! I was so happy. I thought I would have to spend hundreds on new brakes! Yippee.
28 May 2015, 09:58
Hi Steph, I am so glad you didn't incur any costs with regards to your brakes. That was very nice of the guy in the garage.

Yesterday (eating day went according to plan until after my steak when I attacked the orange jelly in the fridge and then much later I finished off my tub of ice cream. Oooouuuuuch. Sooooo good all day and then blowing it after 6pm.

Today I am attempting to fast - I am now worried that if I say something I might jinx it and break my good intentions. :lol:

This weekend we are going to see FIL and I am looking forward to it. The weekend after is the wedding and then DH has to work every weekend until beginning of July when we are off on holiday to Germany to see family and friends.

Are you fasting today too? Take Care BIG HUG
28 May 2015, 13:20
Hi Ieramul, so sorry to hear you gave in to that ice cream! but I'm sure you will negate its effects by fasting today. I won't be joining you. I'll fast tomorrow, hopefully I will be more successful than Monday. Last night I gave in to crackers again and didn't have a proper supper, just grazed all afternoon/evening. However, I still think I stayed under my TDEE. I won't eat now until I get home from work at 2:30. I'm a bit nervous about work today because there are so many new menu items which I don't know. Oh well, it will all work out.

Do you go to visit family in Germany often? I haven't been to Germany since my son was 14 months old, that's over 20 years ago! It was springtime and the trees were lovely and I woke up every morning to birdsong outside the window, such a different sound than the birds here.

Time for me to write some letters. A letter to my Mom is overdue. She'll be getting antsy wondering why I haven't written. I also have a penpal in Germany I write to.

Take care, happy fasting! I know you can be successful today :clover: :heart:
29 May 2015, 08:57
Hi Steph, well my fast day yesterday went down the drain. I am wondering why I am finding it harder to fast these days. I end up with not eating until 1pm and then start with something quite healthy like a few nuts or apples and then blow it in the evening. I had two handfuls of hazlenuts last night at 11pm. I never used to eat late at night and I am not sure what is going on. Maybe my body needs the food and doesn't want to go lower. I seem to have shifted my eating window by 6 hrs rather than shift and reduce it.

I haven't had breakfast and didn't bring any food to work and a new colleague of mine and I have started a pattern of going to the pub for some chips (fries) and vegetables on a Friday lunch time (not every Friday). I never eat chips at home only when eating out and the portions aren't big.

I try to visit my parents twice a year. Last year I managed but this year I haven't managed so far, partly because they are having building work done at the moment and partly because I am going to see them at the wedding in two weeks' time and in July. We will be driving in July as DH loves it. It is only 830 km from door and we set out in the morning at 7am with a couple of hours of break at my sister's at about 2pm for coffee and cake and then arrive at my parent's for supper between 6 and 7 pm.

This year due to my parent's stressful building work (new heating and plumbing and a few other things) we are just passing for a few hours and stay with my best friend who lives in a most enchanting area of the Black Forest. When the building work is over I will probably fly back and help with the clean up.

How far away do your mother and your daughters live? Take Care BIG HUG
29 May 2015, 21:50
Sounds like your parents have their hands full. How wonderful that you can see them so often! I'm sure they'll appreciate your visit after they are done all the renovations and certainly if you help clean LOL.

My daughter, turning 30 in a week! lives in Charlottetown, PEI on the east coast. I fly to see her when I can. My other son lives in Calgary, Alberta also too far to drive, although he took the bus when he moved out there in August. The flight is about 4 hours. My mom lives about 650 to 700 km away, depending on which route you take to get there. I plan on going a rather round about way by train and bus so I can see my brother, his wife and my stepmom as well as my mom in August. They all live in different towns/city along the Ottawa river. It's been 10 years since I've seen my mom! Can't believe that. Have I already told you all this?

It is now 5:30, ONLY 5:30 and the evening stretches before me. I REALLY want to eat although I've had a salad with chicken, a few walnuts, blueberries and a banana, about 350 calories worth. I plan on making some squash and red pepper soup later for my evening meal. Thinking perhaps I should make it now and perhaps stuffing myself without really being hungry right now will take this urge to binge away.

I tried calling my OA "sponsor" but we can't seem to connect. She emailed me some questions I'm to answer to help "work" my way through step 1. Should really work on them. I was talking with another OA member last night discussing "higher power" and what it means to various people. The only time in my life where I felt something was guiding me was when I had Thyroid Cancer. I started going to the doctor and saying there was something wrong, I didn' t know what it was but that it was serious. The doctors poo-pood my theory. I went to doctor and doctor after doctor never giving up and making these doctors think I was a hypochondriac. Lasted 8 months before finally, after asking to have my thyroid checked I was vindicated! I had cancer! Something in me pushed me to not give up and it knew there was something seriously wrong with my health. If I had not pushed for this I would be dead. The cancer was stage 3 and it wouldn't have been found unless specifically looking for it. So, what I'm trying to say is that perhaps if I can tap into whatever it was that just KNEW something was wrong, then maybe that something can help deal with this overeating/bingeing behaviour. Don't know if that'll work. Can't quite get my head around how it would work. Oh, well, perhaps answering the questions could help.

Ok, after that long winded bit I think I will make more tea and maybe try calling Betty again, or perhaps someone else from the list. I won't share that I am fasting today, just that I want to binge. I think fasting would be seen as a step in the wrong direction. Apparently being abstinent means eating 3 meals a day with not bingeing or snacking in between. I'll settle for 2 at the moment.

I hope your day went well! Sorry yesterday's fast was a bust :(. How were the chips? salty? finger licking good? I'm daydreaming about possibly going out to lunch with a friend after the OA meeting. Don't know where we'd go but anything would be a treat. I haven't been out for lunch in months and it would be a nice change.

Take care, Ieramul. Sweet dreams! :sleepy: :heart:
30 May 2015, 12:17
:cry: :curse: I gained! this week. But, I almost met my May goal of 128, ended up just above. Something must be happening, though, as I can fit into a pair of capris that I couldn't fit into last week. Yeah for that.

I'm off to a few stores this morning, wanting to get some ingredients to make those crackers and granola bars. I hope they both turn out. Adam has requested rouladen for Sunday supper again so I must pick up the meat.

Gotta run, take care, big hug :heart:
01 Jun 2015, 12:30
Hi Steph, well done for almost meeting your May goal and I am sure you can meet your June goal without problems. It is summer now and losing weight is easier as we are more active and happy.

My weekend away went well. We brought a lot of stuff back to help FIL to clear clear a bit of the house. MIL was a hoarder but he has got rid of a lot of stuff although you wouldn't think so when you walk into the house. He keeps asking us if we don't need all these things or he will take it to the tip, so I take a car load home and give it to a charity shop. This time I took lots of electrical goods, like a toaster, blender, radio etc. and already found some grateful recipients at work. Every time we visit I will take some more stuff so that one day when he has to move into a smaller place, the sorting task won't be as great.

I was all right weight wise until Sunday and then I always blow it on Sunday night, knowing that I will be fasting on Monday. So I am fasting just a lb above my maintenance weight. I hope by tomorrow all will be fine as I think my fast today will be successful. I have a good feeling about it - it is now half past one and I am not hungry and I am sure I can hold out until this evening and have a small meal. I haven't had a good fast for a while but I am determined today.

I hope you had a good weekend, too. I am glad about your capris fitting better - great motivation. Take Care BIG HUGS
01 Jun 2015, 14:09
Don't feel so bad Ieramul about Sunday. You're in good company LOL I went crazy yesterday and even on Saturday. I ended up going to my friend's house for lunch and had some cookies for dessert. Then when I got home I ate chocolate covered raisins and I forget all else! Yesterday I made the granola bars which were horrible and then the crackers which were great, although addictive, hence my crazy binge on the little things. There were only enough left for Adam's lunch today so I'll be making them again today which I WILL resist as I am fasting today. I also plan on trying my hand at another granola bar recipe. If I can find one that uses just a little sugar/honey/maple syrup. Some of the recipes online call for honey, sugar, AND corn syrup altogether! no better than the sugary ones in the store. I intend to make peanut butter bars today and hope they taste better and Adam likes them.

That said, I have stuff to do, I have a long list to get through.

It's great that you can donate stuff from your FIL's stash. So much better than throwing it all in the garbage. I have a pile in the corner of my room of clothes and books and such that I add to and then take to the second-hand store.

Take care, happy fasting! together we can do it! :clover: :wink:
02 Jun 2015, 10:42
Hi Steph, how did your fast day pan out? I am not sure I could resist peanut butter bars, so I better don't make them. I don't bake very much any more although I used to but I just can't stop eating cake once it is in the house/fridge.

My fast day yesterday went well. I managed to fast until 7pm and then had a normal meal (no desert). I try to keep the portions moderate and eat until I am full but that's that. So I might go over my 500 cals but I don't go to bed hungry either.

The weather here is awful, cold, rainy and windy - not spring like at all. I hope you are having a better time.

Take Care BIG HUGS
02 Jun 2015, 12:20
Hello Ieramul, happy to hear your fast went well. I can't imagine not eating until 7 pm on a fast day. Of course my fast yesterday was a bust. I ate so many crackers! of course. And had some of the granola "bars". They didn't stick together so it was more like pieces which Adam liked none the less. Then I went out and bought some garlic bread which I wolfed down. Terrible day! I aim to fast today instead.The morning will pass quickly enough at the school, then I'm off to visit my friend, Ille for the afternoon. I won't bring any food with me and won't eat anything there. I'll be home around 4 so I will eat then. Should work out. As long as I don't pig out when I get home!

My allergies were fierce during the night. still are :(. I left my bed to sleep on the couch hoping that would make a difference, perhaps the pollen isn't so bad in the living room? no such luck. So, I didn't sleep very well. Kept waking up with a runny nose. Oh well.

It is beautiful here today after a couple of days of rain. The birds are chirping, the sun is shining. I hope your dismal weather doesn't get you down. Enjoy the day! Love and hugs :heart: :heart:
05 Jun 2015, 08:28
Sorry, for the long absence, but not much to tell. I hope your allergies have improved and you are feeling better. I must be horrible to not be able to sleep. I also have hayfever but it affects me mainly during the day when my eyes and nose are streaming. However at night I am fine.

I seem to be struggling with losing a couple more pounds for ease which I don't seem to manage. I have been at this current weight (50kg) consistently for most of this year (end of last year I was 49kg) and I don't seem to lose any more for ease. So now I am thinking that there might be no point in trying so desperately to lose another two pounds and acceptance may be in order.

I have had too much sugary stuff this week so I attempted two fast days but none of them were really successful. I manage not eating until late in the day just to catch up/ruin it in the evening. Yesterday I didn't eat until 3pm, when I had a big pot of yoghurt. When I got home I had supper and then later on some trifle sponges, which I am very disappointed and annoyed about. I am attempting another fast today but it will probably end up more like a half fast.

BIG HUG and take care
Previous 1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 Next
614 posts Page 39 of 41