The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

50 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: My so called life
29 Jul 2015, 14:18
Very good luck to you MaryAnn
29 Jul 2015, 18:12
MaryAnn wrote: @Lizbean, I'm applying for US, UK, and Japan jobs. There are more jobs right now are in the US, so I'm not surprised my first interview was there. I keep running into the problem in the UK that they already expect you to have a work permit. I'm disqualified before I even apply :-( I guess there has been a change in the law? Some places still seem to consider people without a work permit--maybe they're the only ones willing to try to help you get one? I can't figure it out.

Hi MaryAnn - I work for an international organisation, we recruit but have recently been limited to numbers of permits we can issue per year. How mad is that! I'll check out the latest with my colleague and PM you the details / links.
Good luck! x
29 Jul 2015, 19:51
The U.S. appreciates capable people no matter where they are from in a way other countries don't seem to. My daughter was offered an extremely prestigious all expenses paid scholarship in Physics for a degree that would have been done at a UK university she wanted very much to attend. But there was no way her boyfriend could come with her so she passed on it and took another offer.

Now we learn that had she accepted that offer the UK would be throwing her out in 2 years even though the program would have taken 3-5. She's a brilliant scientist who wanted very much to live in the UK but with an immigration policy that doesn't distinguish bums from highly motivated hard working scientists, it won't happen.

Plus, Mary Ann, from what my daughter tells me, there is a lot more openness to women in the sciences here, with women heading increasing numbers of departments.

Hope it all works out for you!
29 Jul 2015, 21:55
Good luck with your job hunting MaryAnn :like:
29 Jul 2015, 23:51
Thanks so much, @Lizbean. I guess it's possible that some of the universities have already run out of slots for foreigners.

@Peebles, I agree that the US is different from the rest of the world about only considering qualifications and not country of origin/passport. It's annoying because it means more competition at home, but no chance or a reduced chance abroad! The UK used to be much better. I easily got work permits there twice before and had no trouble extending when I needed to. Clearly my mistake was leaving. The department I worked in at Sheffield Uni had a really great male: female ratio, probably the best of anywhere I worked. In that respect, anywhere will seem like heaven after Japan!

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. I'll keep you posted. I had a lovely email back from them saying they liked me, but that they had a few more interviews.
30 Jul 2015, 09:26
Small world, MaryAnn, I studied at Sheffield Uni (psychology) :smile:

Wishing you lots of luck with the outcome of this interview - it's really nice of them to get in contact with you to let you know they liked you.
30 Jul 2015, 11:57
Good luck Maryann. :victory: :like: :clover: :heart:
Xxx julianna
30 Jul 2015, 19:17
Thinking of you MaryAnn and wishing you all the good luck in the world!
@julianna so nice to see you - i was wondering where you were. ..hope youre ok xx
30 Jul 2015, 21:19
Any news @MaryAnn? xx
30 Jul 2015, 22:39
Not yet! I'm having trouble focusing on anything else!
11 Aug 2015, 21:22
Update: I got the job! NYC here I come!

#1 non job worry: getting my cats from Okinawa to NYC
#2 American food making me fat again
11 Aug 2015, 23:00
Saikō no kōun

Unless Google messed up the translation, That is.

:victory:
11 Aug 2015, 23:27
Congratulations, @MaryAnn! So happy for you.
50 posts Page 2 of 4