The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

41 posts Page 3 of 3
Re: Words that make you cringe.
26 Jan 2015, 19:16
Tracieknits wrote: I can't stand the word "literally" when used in the new, inappropriate manner. I immediately lose respect for the speaker. "OMG her dress was, literally, so ugly."

"I literally died with embarrassment"... do they ever actually think what they've just said?
26 Jan 2015, 19:43
This is like, the sickest thread ever on fastday. It has literally made me laugh my head off. Perfect (and I do mean perfect).
26 Jan 2015, 21:41
"At this point in time" Aaaaaaaahhh WTH is wrong with saying ..... now.
26 Jan 2015, 22:45
Loving this thread!!!
Many of the phrases ring very true, and like @Rawkaren, we play w word bingo in meetings, our manager has a number of gems so we take bets on how many he will say out of: 'Let's status that', 'dial in to the conversation', amongst others.
My pet hates are moving forward, well, we are hardly going to move backwards are we? Discharge is also on my yuck list, honourable, or not :oops: With apologies to our American forumites, I really hate gotten. Yes, I know it used to be in common use in the UK and it was taken to the States, but I just can't bring myself to use it.

Having said that, I take great delight in the use of old words, especially at work here in a multicultural office, mostly Aus, Kiwi, SA, Irish etc. So, I try and use some old gems whenever possible, gormless, pompous git, trollop, bint, and my favourite word of all time Bo****ks!!!!!!
27 Jan 2015, 00:51
My supervisor for my first job in England used to speak in a stream of cliches/sayings. Bobs your uncle, push the boat out, etc. He used to like commercials, too: just wash and go (??), suck it and see, etc. Every now and then he threw in some rhyming slang to keep us on our toes. Some days it was endearing; the rest of the time it was a bit annoying.

Certain grammatical errors drive me bonkers: people who don't know how to use less/fewer or reflexive pronouns.
27 Jan 2015, 01:17
Oh, yes @MaryAnn, when did it get to be more "proper" to say myself when me is called for? My theory is that some people have the idea (almost said "have gotten" :smile: ) that me is egotistical or crude; but myself is modest and refined.

The word that bothers me a lot, though, is not one I hear, but one I am afraid I might have to say: physician. Those f and s and sh sounds so close together make me sure that I'll pronounce it incorrectly. I go to great lengths to say: doctor, or PCP or PA or the dreaded "health care provider" instead. :oops:
27 Jan 2015, 06:12
I'm enjoying laughing with this thread.. ...There's a lot of annoying language in the teenage arena that makes me cringe. "Cool" for starters.
At school when asked "How are you to-day?" The answer is nearly always "Good, thanks". I often say "I know you're GOOD!" but they don't get it!!!
Also the use of saying LIKE and WENT instead of pausing to think or using proper language. One hears the reporting of something someone said - " she went, like ,.... you know like...? kind of like....." Hours of meaningless chatter.
Then TV presenters saying they'll "see you again". I jolly well know they won't!!! And how about "Alright?" spoken with rising inflection as a greeting. (What is the world coming to and I must be a Grumpy Old Git.)
27 Jan 2015, 08:34
"Trust me".
No, never will now!
27 Jan 2015, 10:49
Has anyone said the word

JOURNEY (in relation to some weight loss strategy)

hate that word and used by so many taking the bariatric surgery course for weight loss though i see it applied for 5:2 dieting as well now.

dont know why it makes me cringe
27 Jan 2015, 11:40
Great thread Wildmissus, thanks everyone. There are many things that I find difficult considering English is not my first language:
1."I love...." other than a person or a pet close to us. The overuse of it has demoted the emotional meaning. People seem to not distinguish between liking and loving. They seem to love strangers, actors, colleagues, a films, games etc. I will never get that. What is wrong with like, enjoy, delight, hold in regard, being fond of. This is similar to the use of perfect. Perfect is the ultimate so is love.
2. When the word "like" is used other than instead of love or in a sentence comparing things.
3. When people use the singular form when there should be the plural form. "There's ten people over there...."
4. All empty business lingo as mentioned above.

I have noticed that a lot of people in England cringe when they hear the word "diarrhea" :lol: whilst vomit seems to be OK???
27 Jan 2015, 12:01
Thinking again when did people start being 8 years of age instead of 8 years old?
41 posts Page 3 of 3