The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

17 posts Page 1 of 2
So disappointed
28 Mar 2014, 09:21
Really fed up have not lost any weight since the 14th March. It just wont shift. Could pack it in so easily right now. I have had no failed fasts i don't over eat on non fast days and I'm exercising. where am i going wrong. :?:
Re: So disappointed
28 Mar 2014, 09:28
Hmm, sometimes you will have a sort of "stale mate" where nothing seems to happen. I also think that certain exercises can keep you at the same weight for a bit. What exercising do you do? Another thing is to look at the way you fast. If you are currently doing 5:2, maybe you could try every other day. Thats what I did! I found that 5:2 didn't suit my metabolic person (typical for me, its always harder losing weight!). Since doing ADF (Alternate Day Fasting) I haven't looked back. I started at 12 stone and am now 11:4. Thats since 10 Feb (I know that because I haven't eaten chocolate since then either :cry: )

Anyway, don't be disheartened. This glitch is pretty common. We've all bean there! Just don't give in...stick with us and you'll be fine :smile:

Bean :starving:
IMG_1164.JPG
(57.3 KiB) Downloaded 624 times
28 Mar 2014, 09:32
Over a month ago I was feeling the same and did pack it in, not a great idea as I gained and have it all to lose again. Stay strong and even if you're not losing at least you're not gaining. Maybe add another fast to your week or eat a little more on nonfast days, what ever you do don't get out of the habit of fasting. I hope this is of some help to you, good luck :)
Dee
28 Mar 2014, 09:41
I'd suggest checking your carb intake, too.
Take a look here

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/th ... z2kwmupjR1

Keep at it!
28 Mar 2014, 09:42
sometimes I go months without losing anything. Then, out of the blue, I start to lose again. The body is a mysterious thing. You have to take a long term view. This is not a diet. It's not like you will do it for a month or 2, lose weight and then resume your previous way of eating. This is a life style. You're going to do it for ever. Therefore, it doesn't matter if you lose those kilos this week or next week, or in a month's time. Hold the faith. What's the alternative? You could fast for more days, and that might help, but what's the rush? Personally I can't do that. I'm happy to do 2 days and I know I will lose the weight eventually.
28 Mar 2014, 10:39
You haven't lost weight for 2 your weeks. That must be frustrating when you feel like you're doing everything right. I've been on this journey for a year now. I've had a month or so here and there where I've not lost but due to bodily composition, christmas celebrations,women's cycles etc I accounted it to that but in the long run I lost a pound a week with 5:2. Even though its frustrating I know if it was me I would gain weight if I stopped. 5:2. Like @Sue.Q and I have been on long plateaus but we have faith that it worked before and it will work again. Who best to practice delayed gratification ( with weight loss results) than us 5:2 fasters?
Best of luck @LUVLEEJU and please don't give up,
Xxx julianna
28 Mar 2014, 10:55
LUVLEEJU wrote: I have had no failed fasts i don't over eat on non fast days and I'm exercising. where am i going wrong. :?:

You aren't doing anything wrong, you are doing brilliantly! Assuming that your start date is 13 Feb and your weight loss is 3.18 kg as shown in your stats, then you have lost 7lbs in 6 weeks. That's great! You'll see that the average for members of the forum is a pound a week. Some people lose faster, but they often have a lot more to lose than you do. Some people lose slower - it took me over a year to lose 30 pounds, starting from a similar BMI to you. But it doesn't matter how long it took me - what matters is that I'm coming up to my first half-year of maintenance, and looking forward to many more years of happy slimness. I look forward to welcoming you to the maintenance club in due course. Stick with it! It really does work.
28 Mar 2014, 11:19
How often are you weighing yourself? If you only weigh weekly it is quite possible to believe you have plateaued or even gained weight when the reality is that you have continued losing weight.

Here are a couple of graphs I prepared showing my actual weigh-ins over a month and how infrequent weighing can give a false idea of how the weight-loss is progressing compared with daily weighing and a trend-line:

If I had only weighed myself at the points indicated I might have thought I had gained weight or plateaued
Infrequent weighing.png

But by weighing daily and applying a trendline I can see that my weight is steadily decreasing.
Frequent weighing.png

Also, please read this thread to understand why the scales are not a reliable measure of progress: not-losing-weight-f27/5-2-diet-weight-gain-t1006.html
28 Mar 2014, 12:42
Whatever you do @LUVLEEJU Don't pack 5:2 in that would be the biggest mistake of your life Dee is an example and regrets her decision just as you will.
2 weeks isn't very long at all to give a true picture of what's going on, I fully understand your disappointment because I'm in a similar situation have been for 3 months!!!
We do sometimes pay to much attention to our scales they're only numbers and the tape measure is a far better way is there any change with your waistline?
As Penny has said lowering your carb intake may kickstart your weightloss once again (worked for me last year)
Keep doing what you've been doing because were all losing our weight at differing speeds some members haven't lost
until week 5or6 and were all getting the health benefits that fasting brings to us please don't forget that.
I banished my scales to the garage about 3 weeks ago when they were behaving very badly and I was becoming depressed I'm not weighing again until good Fri for the Easter challenge which no way am I going to meet, and as my week starts on a Fri I've yet another new plan for this week back to 4:3 for me.
:clover: :clover: :clover:
28 Mar 2014, 13:53
I just wanted to thank all of the forum lovelies who jump in and help make us all feel better when we are down. I woke up to a 2lb gain since last week (after 2 successful repair days and some pretty good regular ones), and was feeling a bit down in the dumps, until I "listened" to all of you. It is nice to know that we all struggle with the same stupid "scale disappointment," and it is also good to be reminded that there are deeper changes we are making to better our health and our lives.

Don't be discouraged @LUVLEEJU!!!

:clover: :heart:
28 Mar 2014, 14:15
Thanks everyone for all your encouraging comments. I'm not going to pack it all in. I know it's a way of life and if I did would soon pile on the pounds and be back to square one.
I've stopped feeling sorry for myself and been out for a run which always clears my head so I start thinking straight again. I guess I'm just being way too impatient.
@sallyo You are right there is no rush.
All of you on this forum are so supportive and I really appreciate it I'm going to stick with the 5:2 as it is so simple and sustainable for me.
My 7lb loss since the start is correct and I have lost 3inch off my waist so when I look at it like that you're right it is pretty good in the short time I've been trying this woe.
Heres to the next however many weeks/months to reach my ideal weight on wards I strive for a healthy,fit drop dead gorgeous ME :wink:
28 Mar 2014, 15:45
Great explanation with graphs @carorees has this been published elsewhere in the site?
Keep plugging dear. Just remember if it fell off at that rate for ever the "diet" would have been a restrictive, unsustainable one. At Least this way you're not depriving yourself for weeks on end.
28 Mar 2014, 20:07
Glad you're going to stick with it - it does work but you have to be in it for the long haul. This month for example, I have had 4 weeks where I've either stayed the same or even put a bit on and was getting despondent because it IS disheartening - then this week I dropped a kg. Persistence is the thing (and daily weighing as carorees said above) to give you an idea of the trend of your weightloss. Plus reducing your carb intake really works (as well as reducing hunger).
28 Mar 2014, 21:37
Good to hear you sounding more positive now xx thanks for the graph @Carorees. It's funny, I didn't think I'd like daily weighing but it is amazing how much more reassuring it is. I highly recommend it

Bean :smile:
29 Mar 2014, 10:46
Well I've taken your advice and thought I'd try daily weighing jumped on the scales and this morning I've lost that stubborn lb not getting too excited as guess tomorrow it will be back up again . I am interested to see how it fluctuates though to see if there is a particular pattern. will only record my weight on here though on a Friday
17 posts Page 1 of 2