The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

19 posts Page 1 of 2
I know it's very personal, but I wanted to get your feedback as to which fitbit you have and whether you like it (sorry if this question has been asked before, I didn't see it) :oops:

I have a polar heart rate monitor which I used for cardio and a pedometer for walking, I'm not sure if the fitbit will be of use? does it monitor general movement more so than a pedometer? (My pedometer doesn't track my steps when I'm indoors, I guess I'm not taking big steps!)

So for the fitbit, the latest one "Force" is now available but it hasn't had great reviews. Then there's the "Flex", "One" and "Zip". The flex and one are the same price

I've been looking to buy one for about 6 months and I'm not sure which one to buy or if it would be useful for me.

Let me know if you love yours and why :?:

Thanks!!

Jen :grin:
Hi Jen,

I've got a flex and it's great. It's made me conscious of how active I am. It records steps around the house, outside and your sleep. There are far more people on this board who are far more knowledgable about FitBits than I am but I'm impressed with mine. As far as I know it is not a heart rate monitor.
I have Fitbit One and love it! It has a really strong clip, I wear mine clipped in my pocket so if there is a problem it will end up inside. I love having the display easy to check and use it often to check the time of day.

Here is a discussion about choosing fitbits from July chat-f12/fitbit-flex-yes-or-no-t7180.html
I have the one, and my husband has the flex. He now wishes he had the one. First, the flex doesn't count stairs, or have solid numbers on the band for him to check progress. He has to find his phone and sync to find out any specifics. Secondly, he's not sure it is counting accurately. One time while we were out together, my one showed a few thousand more steps for me than for him. While I was walking a bit more than he was, I don't think it was *that* much more than him. My mom complains that she doesn't feel it records all of her treadmill steps when she holds the handrails - and since she's older, she feels she needs to steady herself by holding the rail.

I'm super happy with my one. I wear it clipped inside my bra, so I can check it easily during the day
This is a very timely thread for me, so here I go ....

I got a Fitbit Zip way back in March or so, not long after starting 5:2, prompted by discussions on this forum. I love it, I got my OH one, and wear it as soon as I get dressed. Someone else on the Fitbit thread has referred to "feeding" her Fitbit and that's exactly what I do.

When changing the battery (second battery change in 7 months) I broke a tiny bit of plastic inside the battery compartment, and had to keep it secured with Sellotape. Not an ideal solution, so I got a One from ebay, which arrived today. I am looking forward to recording Floors and Sleep.

I wouldn't be without it, and prefer to have one on a clip to a wrist band. Happy deciding

Quick Edit in response to Tracie - I am shorter than my OH so take more steps per mile walked, but being male he uses more calories :smile:
I adore my Fitbit! I have a One, and at the start I used it to monitor sleep, and consulted it several times a day to see how I was doing. But I no longer tend to monitor sleep as the strap is getting tired, and I got the useful information in the first few months. Also I'm happy to wait till bedtime if necessary to check my steps if i'm away from the computer, as I have a good idea now what 10000 steps feels like. So if something happened to my One, I might well buy the simplest (and cheapest) Fitbit, provided I can clip it inside my bra.(not sure if you can) I wouldn't now be put off by the fact the older bracelet one doesn't show the number of steps.
If money isn't too much of an issue, I'd definitely go for the One again, as it's great, and I enjoyed doing the sleep monitoring at first.
I've had it since mid August, and we 'feed' it most nights; it's still making me do more walking than I would have done before!
Edit: I've just remembered the cheapest one doesn't record the floors climbed, and I think you do want that!
Thanks all - One it is

The clip on sounds like it works and is discrete, and the display is a big plus showing progress so its a winner over the flex, and yes I do want to track stairs climbed so the zip won't be as good

Thanks!! I think I now know what I want for Christmas. :grin: :grin:
I have a flex and just love it. It lives on my wrist (until I get an email saying to charge it, then I take it off and charge it overnight, probably every 5 days or so) so never have to worry about washing it or having it fall off (I've lost too many pedometers to entirely trust a clip on one).

The choice would be a very individual thing - I like only having the little lights on my wrist (and check my phone or computer for all the pretty graphs) but I know some people would rather be able to see more on their device. I never use the sleep function either, seems a bit pointless to me (I know when I'm awake and when I'm not :D). Yes, I probably would enjoy the step function, but not enough to not have the ease and comfort of wearing it on my wrist.
I have a one. Bought it second hand on ebay. And if it breaks I will replace with "another one " no pun intended.
Come join the gang.
I have a fitbit one since July. Love it. Tracks steps, stairs, calories, sleep, distance & aerobic pace minutes.
Love the online dashboard & email reminders too. I bought the one over the flex because I read the flex didn't always track steps.
I found out I'm much less active than I realized, so am able to step it up as needed.
Good luck with your choice.
I love my fitbit one! Once yours arrives, come join us on the monthly fitbit chat thread. We also have a 5:2 group on the fitbit site. There are some super active members, but it's great fun to see yourself going up and down on the group.

The cold weather has put my fitbit on a reduced feeding plan...but watch out the first warm day!
I'm the proud owner of a fitbit One, all set up amd synced with myfitnesspal ... I did over 10,000 steps today which I'm really pleased about. I aim to do the same thought the christmas break

It seems pretty accurate, I was using my old pedometer at the same time and both gave almost the same number of steps and calories spent

Does anyone know how it does during yoga? Going to try it to tomorrow but I suspect it won't work because its static motion (like bicycling)
Its my fitness year so i think im going to invest in one. Might do the ebay thing to get it though. i love winning ebay bids and theres a few going in the next few days.
my ebay search reveals theres one that
a) clips onto a belt
b) on wrist

seeing im a gal and dont wear belts even when i wear jeans does that mean i have to get the wrist one.

i wish there was a pendant one as i hate wearing things round my wrist. last time i war a watch was like 10 years ago.
You can also clip it onto your bra or hang it on a lanyard?
19 posts Page 1 of 2