The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

35 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Alternative to fitbit?
26 Dec 2013, 22:34
@Rwkaren - is the data your showing using the fitbit software on your PC or is it some other software/app?

I ask because my data output dont have half the info and doesnt look like yours ... I wonder if I'm missing a trick. :?:
27 Dec 2013, 00:47
jeninboston wrote: JulianaRivers - the Basis band is the kind of thing that makes more sense, does everything, measures heart rate, steps etc. I did a quick google search for reviews and those on Amazon gave it on average 3 stars out of 5.

Another strapless HR monitor is the MIO alpha at the same price point, but again it's not great (based on amazon buyer reviews)

http://www.runnersworld.com/electronics ... te-monitor

It sounds like you need something with HR functionality for cardio, and for that I don't think the fitbit will fit the bill. Unfortunately, until such times that there is a good strapless monitor, you're stuck with one that does have a strap. May be for the price of the Basis 1 you can get a basic Polar and a basic fitbit? The simple £20 pedometer you had may not have been the most accurate

For me, I find all my gadgets motivating - what I love about the pedometer (I have a basic omron model) and more so the fitbit is that you can download your daily charts to your computer and track progress overtime. The more advanced polar allow you to do that (there are other HR monitors but I've only ever owned polar, I find them reliable and relatively simple to use)

Keep looking, technology is definitely improving and I'm sure all manufacturers are looking to develop that one product that does everything (like they've managed to do with smart phones)

Keep sharing anything else you find - my fitbit can still be returned ;-)

thanks Jen. problem is that the Basics B1 is only available in US. hey someone can buy it from me on the forum and send it? .. anyone willing. somethig to do with approval needed by authorities.

the Fitbit Force one too is only available in U.S i think but im defintely interested in basic B1 though not finished my research.
27 Dec 2013, 00:49
rawkaren wrote: I bought a Jawbone UP a couple of months ago. I wanted a FitBit Force but there is no date for release in the UK just yet. Jawbone UP has had mixed reviews on some sites but I absolutely love mine and it has been very reliable. My fitness has improved immeasurably since I had it.

It calculates steps accurately, allows you to log your gym workouts separately (and also which type), and monitors your sleep. The latter alone was worth it as it has helped me to focus more on getting better quality deep sleep as I had been struggling. It syncs to an app - that's the downside - you have to plug it into connect your smartphone to see what you have been doing. However that is no big deal - the data upload is seconds and after a while, you get to know yourself whether you are hitting your goals. It also connects to myfitness pal. Battery life is about a week and the re-charge time is really quick.

I also wanted something with a heart rate monitor too, but didn't find anything really, so I have the cheapest polar heart rate monitor for the gym, but to be honest I don't really use it anymore.

thanks @rawkaren the Jawbone UP does get some positive reviews when i google it.

i think FITBIT are going to hate me opening up people to alternatives. i guess they better get a Heart monitor in theirs real soon now.
with the comments on sleep monitoring, never thought about that at all and i can sleep with a bomb blasting outside. If im anxious about stuff ive been known to wake up at 4am in a hot sweat but otherwise, I am an extremely deep sleeper and can sleep 10 hours if my work and personal commitments let me.

My OH on the other hand had real issues with "sleeping through" and has found the ultimate solution .. ill post this separately as it doesnt belong to this thread
27 Dec 2013, 06:56
jeninboston wrote: @Rwkaren - is the data your showing using the fitbit software on your PC or is it some other software/app?

I ask because my data output dont have half the info and doesnt look like yours ... I wonder if I'm missing a trick. :?:

On the iPhone @jeninboston
27 Dec 2013, 13:27
rawkaren wrote:
jeninboston wrote: @Rwkaren - is the data your showing using the fitbit software on your PC or is it some other software/app?

On the iPhone @jeninboston

@Jeninboston , Rawkaren is using Jawbone UP, that's why her data is different than the Fitbit data display.
I have a fitbit one love it. I log my sleep on my sleep cycle app on my iPhone. I can tell it when I've fasted, exercised, drunk alcohol etc. it's a great app.
Does the sleep monitoring work by a movement sensor? If I wake up at 2.00am, and not get back off till 5.00am (quite often :( ), I'll lie totally still, reading my phone, so how will the fitbit know I'm awake?
Minumonline wrote: Does the sleep monitoring work by a movement sensor? If I wake up at 2.00am, and not get back off till 5.00am (quite often :( ), I'll lie totally still, reading my phone, so how will the fitbit know I'm awake?

Yes it's a motion sensor but tracks micro movements. I find mine pretty accurate
any thoughts on those mentioned in this article
http://www.techshout.com/alternatives/2 ... ternative/

1) Jawbone UP (this one mentioned here earlier, thanks)

2) Nike Fuelband

3) Moves

4) StrivPlay

5) Digifit iCardio:
Thanks @rawkaren - that's clinched it - I'll order a Fitbit One
Hi @Minumonline
Not sure if you caught that Rawkaren has a Jawbone Up NOT the Fitbit One.

I have the Up as well and really like its sleep tracker function. Good luck with your decisions, everyone!
I have a Withings Pulse which is a pedometer, activity tracker, sleep monitor and heartrate tracker all in one. Got it for Christmas and I love it, especially combined with the data from my Withings body monitor scales. They also do a blood pressure monitor as well I believe, though it's not something I feel I have much need for at the moment.

www.withings.com for more info
Moogie wrote: I have a Withings Pulse which is a pedometer, activity tracker, sleep monitor and heartrate tracker all in one. Got it for Christmas and I love it, especially combined with the data from my Withings body monitor scales. They also do a blood pressure monitor as well I believe, though it's not something I feel I have much need for at the moment.

http://www.withings.com for more info

That Pulse looks awesome Moogie. and i think its available in Oz and only $129

ill look into it, thanks.
Moogie wrote: I have a Withings Pulse which is a pedometer, activity tracker, sleep monitor and heartrate tracker all in one. Got it for Christmas and I love it, especially combined with the data from my Withings body monitor scales. They also do a blood pressure monitor as well I believe, though it's not something I feel I have much need for at the moment.

http://www.withings.com for more info

I like the look of this and it's had really gat reviews on amazon! I'm going to look into exchanging my fitbit for this. THANKS!!! :grin: :clover:

Edit - got too excited and looked at the wrong Withings product on amazon!! average customer review is 3.5 stars from close to 300 reviews; 2/3rds give 5&4 stars which is good but the other third didt rate it so much. Plus it looks like it doesn't do continuous HR monitoring which is the functionality I was looking for to accurately calculate calories spent; I certainly need to do more research
35 posts Page 2 of 3