The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

35 posts Page 3 of 3
Re: Alternative to fitbit?
29 Dec 2013, 21:33
jeninboston wrote:
Tracieknits wrote: Fitbit also knows your weight and height, which is used to adjust the calorie burn for the other activities.

Has anyone checked how accurate this is? I know gym machines (ellipticals, bikes, running machines) aren't accurate at all

Thanks

Pretty sure they're assuming a "normal" person with normal metabolism. But they can't be perfectly accurate. Your own metabolism may change depending on the hour. I have a slow thyroid, so I'm pretty sure the estimated burns are too high.

But it's good for a ballpark estimate, certainly no worse than the old days where we would look it up on a chart.
Ordered the Withings Pulse today. Delivery on Thursday. Bring on healthy 2014 :grin:
Minumonline wrote: Ordered the Withings Pulse today. Delivery on Thursday. Bring on healthy 2014 :grin:

congratz
Tell us what you think of your new tool !
Minumonline wrote: Does the sleep monitoring work by a movement sensor? If I wake up at 2.00am, and not get back off till 5.00am (quite often :( ), I'll lie totally still, reading my phone, so how will the fitbit know I'm awake?

I don't use the sleep tracker at all, because it tells me when I've been lying still, not when I've been asleep. I used it for a couple of weeks when I first got it, but it was too unreliable to bother.

Ultimately, yes, it is just an expensive pedometer. But the key features for me, which make it absolutely worth the price tag, are:
- just hangs out on my wrist, I never have to think about putting it on/taking it off (I have the flex);
- related to above, I haven't lost it like I've lost all the clip on pedometers I've had;
- it syncs so easily to lots of cool data on my phone and computer; and
- I have discovered a competitive side to me wanting to climb up on the couple of leaderboards I'm on plus my friends list.
- the novelty still hasn't worn off and I'm walking loads.

Though you would get all those features on an Jawbone Up or any of the others on the list.
35 posts Page 3 of 3