The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

25 posts Page 2 of 2
P-JK wrote: As I am Dutch, I am an experienced cyclist: I cycle to work almost daily (20 minutes, twice a day). In summer cycling for fun. It's great fun (if you live in a flat country :grin: ). Just keep on practicing, the pain will go away as muscles will grow.

Same here so I have done it all my life and only experienced soreness on one of those uncomfortable racing bike saddles. I do find running so much harder, and using weights, so do that for fitness as my daily bike rides to work (15 mins each way) are too easy. They do make me feel better though, particularly after sitting in an office all day.
I commute to work on my bike everyday! I love it and I'm so happy to be outside and moving through the streets and the weather. It's 6 or so miles to work, so there and back again is around 12 miles a day for me! I am glad not to be burning gas and also so glad not to be sitting in a car. Changing to a bike to commute has changed my life! I love it so much, and now that I do that, I don't really have to exercise like I used to with so much overdoing the cardio and pushing myself so much to do it all the time... it's just part of my day! :victory: Yay for riding bikes!
It's funny how it changes a lot of things. I mean, I am beginning to understand people who say they need sport. Even to my tiny level, and even if I am not looking forward to it because it's still hard (but less than it was some time ago), I know I need it and I don't feel good when I have to cancel it (except on Sundays, my only day off in the week). I just hope it won't snow as it's suppose to in a few days as it will mean I'll have to stay at home
Living on the outskirts of Croydon, it's not really cycling country - roads are so very busy etc., etc.,...... now then..... Whitstable and the lovely stretch along the coast could be a different matter. Plan on getting me a second hand bike and doing some riding - it'll be a nice change and the shops are about 20 min walk away.... or 5+ mins on a bike.... something else to look forward too - though not sure I'm looking forward to a sore butt :confused:
The seat on the stationary bike at the gym is an item of torture. Even the experienced users there complain about it.
I am enjoying the cycling, I'm already upping the difficulty a little bit at a time. I can't wait till I have my operation and can exercise properly again.
Manderley wrote: Forget my English, I nearly wrote "any bikers ?" except that I think that "bikers" means "riding a motorbike" and that would be way beyond the point so, to be safe, anywone bicycling ?

I know, I know, it's not the perfect time of year for that, however I began to do it because I was bored of walking and, to my surprise, I discovered my whole body worked during these cessions. Arms, stomach, legs (of course)... woaw...

I am about to go for my daily hour and I already dread when I'll go back barely able to go up my stairs as my legs will be wobly.... Anyone with tips and experiences about this kind of side effects ?

Re the side effects. Sounds like you've been doing some good work. Keep it up!

As it's low impact I find I recover much quicker from cycling. I never get the dreaded Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). In fact I'm almost always good to go for a ride the following day. Some days the legs feel less energetic than others, but that's OK.
The cold outside doesn't bother me but damned I hate the wind !!!! My butt doens't hurt as much as it did a few weeks ago, but still a little. My body has changed a lot, I am meting away as my OH says even if I don't really pay attention to what I eat on my feed days. I began cycling a month ago and I lost a few centimeters, even my face has changed :shock:

Still don't like it thought, it's a duty,not a pleasure but that's OK, I can deal with that :wink:
Hi!
I love being out on my bike!all be it rather cold at the moment,I do find it difficult to find a happy medium between freezing to death and over loading with layers and over heating!
Mind you I believe you burn more calories in the cold as your body has to work harder to keep warm...every cloud eh!
I used to do a lot of cycling - up (and down, yippee) the Welsh hills; my last competitive event was in 1994.
Since a replacement knee in 2009 I haven't done any, but have a hankering to get back in the saddle. Gently does it, I know,
LOVE my bike! I did my first cycling tour this last October - a week on Kangaroo Island (off Adelaide for non-locals) - 6 days with 200 cyclists for 320 km, it was a bit more challenging than I thought, but beautiful! Came back & got a severe cold (like adult croup!) but started 5/2ing the day I got back.

I find it's actually quite hard in summer in Melbourne, to ride - you have to start early to avoid the heat - I really start to melt above the high 20s. But it's such a wonderful place to cycle, there are dedicated (well, you have to watch out for wandering pedestrians) bike paths everywhere, one of my favourites is the Main Yarra Trail, so beautiful! Kangaroos & black swans in Watsonia! Oooh, wanting to go out this morning, but still more christmas prep for me unfortunately. But I'll be out tomorrow morning, come hell or high water!
25 posts Page 2 of 2