The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

25 posts Page 1 of 2
Anyone doing some bicycling ?
05 Nov 2013, 08:58
Forget my English, I nearly wrote "any bikers ?" except that I think that "bikers" means "riding a motorbike" and that would be way beyond the point so, to be safe, anywone bicycling ?

I know, I know, it's not the perfect time of year for that, however I began to do it because I was bored of walking and, to my surprise, I discovered my whole body worked during these cessions. Arms, stomach, legs (of course)... woaw...

I am about to go for my daily hour and I already dread when I'll go back barely able to go up my stairs as my legs will be wobly.... Anyone with tips and experiences about this kind of side effects ?

I love cycling. I use my bike as transport or for the fun of it, not as dedicated exercise. I have done some pretty long bike rides over the years, but I actually never dreaded the wobbly legs after a long day on the bike - it doesn't last, and for me is a good tired (rather than exhausted) muscle feeling.

Yeh, cycling sure does build up muscles all over - I remember about a week into a couple of month cycle trip around Spain popping muscles and getting all excited, and the novelty of finding new muscles the entire trip never wore off. Hahaha, the funny things that entertain me!
I didn't know that you could have soreness on your butt but yes, you can !

Yesterday my whole body was in pain. The good news is, I have muscles; the bad news is I hope it's just a phase because I really hate it. I mean, I do some exercises because I have to, I made a commitment and know that, somewhere, it's good for me. But it's a chore, really.

Does anyone knows how to prevent, cure or deal with soreness ? Also, how do you deal with sport when you have your periods and the pain which goes with them ?
Exercise with periods has never affected me, I find that a good old burst often helps. Also the general aches and pains should decrease when your body gets used to it. The muscles tear and repair to grow. So when it stops hurting you should really step up the distance, or intensity. My legs ached like crazy when I started running a few months back but then settled into it. Had a fortnight off with a cold and short holiday, then on Sunday I restarted and they ached again on Monday. It's all part of the journey I'm afraid. But it's nice when you suddenly realise that it doesn't hurt.
A warm bath with epsom salts helps ease aching muscles after exercise. :)
With only a shower it will be difficult to take a bath :razz:

Do not worry, it's much better now, only my butt hurts but it should be better in 2 weeks.... I also take a painkiller sometimes, just before going to bed to help me sleep with the little aches. :wink:
I do a really intense class every Saturday and coupled with peri menopause it can trigger an aura migraine as it did last Saturday,and a few other Saturdays, no coincidence, but this class really challenges me, and puts me in another level of getting even fitter. I do a tough class on Tuesdays and a 30 minute class on fridays. I really prefer it to outside, drivers have no respect or patience for cyclers in Australia.
Drivers are rude here as well but, lucky for me, I take a lot of countryside roads so, not too crowded and I don't get intimidated easily, even being a bit provocative at times.... :razz:

We were talking about getting an indoor bike but I don't think I would use it as regularly as I do now. I find it a bit boring, in fact but I may change my mind when it will be freezing cold and snowing, who knows... :grin:

I don't want to take a day off, yet, because of my coccyx, it's the only big problem left, no headaches, less tired in the afternoon, only that damned pain in the butt :silly:
Does a stationary bike count? I have just started at the local gym (only 500 metres away) and the only thing I can do at the moment due to my neck injury is the stationary bike. Even the cross trainer when I tried it using the handles caused neck strain so I had to stop.
I am so unfit its horrid to realise. I can manage a 20 minute session on the stationary bike at a really low level for now and that's it. Wobbly legs here to. But the burst of feel good hormones has been great to feel.

The gym does circuit training twice a week, my aim is to be fit enough to join in within 6 months or after my surgery, whichever comes later.
Of course it does count, the pain is the same, outside or inside

I was a bit scared at first because of my knees (a robocop knee and a not too well healed broken one 2 years ago) the fear of osteoporosis in the future is much stronger. And the truth is, my body surprises me everyday. Even after 20 years without sport, it has strength I never new it to have.
I love my bike, I use it for transport as much as I can but unfortunately as I've often got my 2 kids with me I can't use it as much as I'd like to. I'm hoping that next year my 5 year old will be steady enough on his bike to be able to go on a cycling holiday!

I went on a long ride to the hospital on the other side of Paris with my son on the back on Monday and my legs are still aching now :( so although I use my bike quite a lot as soon as I do something different I get sore legs again.

Manderley - re your coccyx - try a bigger saddle? I've got a very wide, padded saddle which makes riding much more comfortable even if it doesn't look very good.
Sadly not. All monster hills where I live and I'm not fit enough. I cycle with my legs off the ground as a stomach exercise and it kills them as well as my hip flexors but I suppose that does not count!
Hello Manderley,

Bicycling is great, I hope you will think so too. Get a good pair of padded cycling shorts to protect your coccyx, make sure you start and finish your session gently to warm up and warm down, and do some stretches.
I hope you get to enjoy the benefits soon. Social group rides tend to involve eating cake too!
Here's the stretching exercices I do before and after the ride. It begins at the second page.

For the saddle, I already tried that plus having gel on it which is supposed to make it more comfortable. Do not worry, my but is much better than a few days ago and in a few days it should be perfect. I can't stand padded shorts, I find them very uncomfortable and they gave me the impression of wearing a nappie :bugeyes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5E1DW_0qhhoQkQ0RjVXY1FTdlk/edit?usp=sharing
As I am Dutch, I am an experienced cyclist: I cycle to work almost daily (20 minutes, twice a day). In summer cycling for fun. It's great fun (if you live in a flat country :grin: ). Just keep on practicing, the pain will go away as muscles will grow.
25 posts Page 1 of 2