The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

23 posts Page 1 of 2
Does anyone Yoga?
28 Apr 2014, 11:28
I was just looking through and have seem all these super fit, high impact fitness things but I can't see any yoga.

I used to love Pilates but had to give up with over a year of stomach problems. I'm now just gently easing my way back with some yoga. Does anyone else participate??

:?: :)
Re: Does anyone Yoga?
28 Apr 2014, 12:21
I have done yoga in my life, quite intensively in my younger days. I have it in mind to enrol again in a class and I am going to check one out in Devonport. I keep saying that, but I haven't done so yet. It's on the cards. I do love yoga but I have had difficulties finding a teacher and class that suits me. This new one may be it but I won't know until I go along and find out. Thanks for your question.
28 Apr 2014, 13:27
Me,I started pilates 13years ago and love it
Then two years ago I started yoga,once a week and now go almost every day.i loves it.my strength and flexibility have improved hugely and it's also been very good for my mind
I do power yoga and ashtanga yoga and I think it's harder than a gym workout.
I still do pilates once a week.
28 Apr 2014, 14:36
Yes I do Ashtanga and Iyengar. I prefer the latter because it gives a deeper stretch.
28 Apr 2014, 16:15
I've done Pilates for several years and yoga on and off since I was about 18. Now doing yoga once a week which I love though I've noticed that now I'm in my fifties and arthritis has set in in a couple of places that I am no where near as flexible as I was. Restorative yoga is my favourite before a yoga nidra session. I run or walk 3 or 4 times a week as well and occasionally do a strength and flex class. My son had some problems with trapped nerves recently and was recommend Iyengar yoga to improve his posture. He loved it but couldn't afford to keep going (student) at the moment.
28 Apr 2014, 16:36
I love Yoga, but as I go to classes in the week already, I can't really justify another one. So I do Tara Stiles yoga vids on YouTube. I love her.
28 Apr 2014, 19:04
Thanks for the replies! :grin:

I've done Pilates at the gym but prefer being at home. I've tried several versions of DVD yoga, though I wouldn't say I'm great at any, but just about to embark on the Diamond Dallas Page's version of Ashtanga now I'm feeling well enough. Should be interesting! I just like the balanced feeling I have from the inner focus. And the feeling of used muscles without abused joints of course!!

Namaste :smile:
28 Apr 2014, 19:54
I do yoga. I was a 60s flower child but let it lapse when the kids were young. I went back to a modified version after I lost about 50lbs and needed to tone up. FMS and arthritis mean I can't achieve the levels I could in the 60s but that doesn't make it less effective. It meshes well with my Reiki practice.
29 Apr 2014, 08:23
Oh I really love yoga. Its supposed to be the best form of exercise, too, isn't it. You tone rather than add bulk. Your muscles are stretched and you always feel so good afterwards! I've never bean to a class I just use DVDs at home...one of my favourites is Barbara Currie...a great advert for yoga...as is Karen Voight! I love Karen Voight and she doesn't only do yoga, she is a great exercise instructor.

This link is a fantastic advert for the benefits of yoga!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n1GtOaL7XU

Bean :sleepy:
29 Apr 2014, 10:58
Wow! She was amazing!!

This is the one that clinched it for me. If Arthur can change with all his problem, so can I with my few!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
03 May 2014, 08:31
Hi @Milly107 Ive just had a look at this guy. Man Alive! That is truly amazing and so inspirational. As you say, if he can do yoga, anyone can! Look what its done to his life. Wow! Thanks for sharing that

Bean :grin:
03 May 2014, 08:48
I try and do bikram yoga once a week on a Friday, but it depends on my workload, I have had to give it a miss for all of April because of holidays and work...hoping to get back to class next week. I'll have to have a look at youtube, I've never tried a yoga video but that might be an idea for the weeks when I can't get to class.
03 May 2014, 08:53
I've never tried Bikram yoga. Does it get incredibly hot?
04 May 2014, 20:15
nursebean wrote: I've never tried Bikram yoga. Does it get incredibly hot?

It is hot so most people wear skimpy clothes, but personally I wear 3/4 leggings and a vest. I'm not great with heat, but funnily enough I don't find it too hot, it's really at the end that I become aware of just how sweaty I am. I like it though, it feels clensing and you are more flexible than you usually are.
05 May 2014, 08:12
Actually, it must be great to have more flexibility. I always find if I do a bit of yoga in the afternoon, that I can stretch that little bit extra than I can in the morning...and yet they advise you to workout first thing. Bizarre!
:shock:
I'm talking as though I constantly yoga! I wish! I haven't done if for a while because I've bean trying to conserve my energy. I guess I'll try and incorporate some yoga when I'm on holiday...and I may even have a quick swim. Just need a swimsuit because I haven't bean in the water for quite some time
23 posts Page 1 of 2