The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

20 posts Page 1 of 2
February is heart month
11 Feb 2015, 09:21
I've signed up for the British heart foundation's Heart challenge

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/pre ... -challenge

My first 10 minute challenge?

To dance like nobody's watching for 10 minutes.

Who'll join me? Whether you're a real fitness fanatic or a bit of a couch potato, there'll be a challenge for everyone, I'm sure.
Re: February is heart month
11 Feb 2015, 11:19
I've just signed up, @PennyForthem, and posted it on my Facebook page as well. I should receive my first challenge tomorrow!
11 Feb 2015, 23:35
Yes I signed up. Awaiting the email with interest!
12 Feb 2015, 00:52
I'll read your link at the weekend, bit busy till then! I'm very happy to dance and wiggle it, if that's the challenge :shock: :lol:
12 Feb 2015, 13:39
My email didn't arrive this morning, so another day before my challenge starts!
12 Feb 2015, 15:31
Took 2 days for me, too.
12 Feb 2015, 15:58
Mine was there this morning.
13 Feb 2015, 00:06
I sure hope your heart association is better than ours!

Ours has been enforcing disasterously bad diet advice for the last 35 years, telling people to eat high carb diets and avoid fats to lower cholesterol, which turns out to be completely wrong. They also promoted the use trans-fat laden margarines until very recently, which also promotes heart disease.

Then, having prescribed diets that raise cholesterol rather than lowering it, they agitated for everyone to be put on statin drugs. Not so surprisingly, the companies selling statin drugs are heavy contributors to our heart association. Statin drugs turn out to raise the risk that someone will develop diabetes, which worsens heart health.

There isn't a disease-related association in the U.S. that actually works for the good of patients. They are all funded by whatever industry woudl suffer if the real cause of their disease was known. The American Diabetes Association is funded heavily by the cereal manufacturers and other junk food companies. The American Cancer Society was funded for decades by the chemical companies--decades during which the ACS kept telling the public there was no clear association between cancer and industrial chemicals and that "further studies were needed." They also took a lot of funding from the cigarette companies until the 1970s. There was solid evidence in the 1920s that smoking caused cancer, but the ACS acting as a spokesperson for these toxic industries suppressed it with its veneer of authority.

The Komen Breast Cancer Foundation takes money from companies that sell products that have chemicals in them suspected of causing breast cancer. They participate in fund raising campaigns where industry puts a pink ribbon on some crappy product and then gives 1% to the foundation and keeps the rest. They put pink athletic shoes and hats on NFL wife-beaters every October. They have done very little that anyone can actually point to actually improve women's health.They have however improved the bottom line of their corporate sponsors and the bank accounts of their executives.

I get almost weekly requests for money from the Alzheimer's Association, but I can't find any evidence that they do anything save "raise awareness" which seems to mean "collect money and pay execs huge salaries." There isn't any difference in the treatment of dementia since my mom was diagnosed with it a decade ago.
13 Feb 2015, 09:17
@Peebles
I don't suppose the Charity is flawless but it is well respected over here https://www.bhf.org.uk
Most of our major charities are.
13 Feb 2015, 12:33
How brilliant is this. I hope that you all enjoy your healthy heart month everyone.
Can just visualise you ladies jigging around in your kitchens.
13 Feb 2015, 13:11
Just signed up
Also thinking of joining their Dechox for March campaign,which as name suggests,is give up chocco for March xx
Good luck everyone with our BHF Challenges! X
image.jpg
image.jpg (5.98 KiB) Viewed 703 times
13 Feb 2015, 13:31
peebles wrote: I sure hope your heart association is better than ours!
I get almost weekly requests for money from the Alzheimer's Association, but I can't find any evidence that they do anything save "raise awareness" which seems to mean "collect money and pay execs huge salaries." There isn't any difference in the treatment of dementia since my mom was diagnosed with it a decade ago.

Well, thankfully, the very act of joining this (free) challenge will do more than raise awareness. I have had quite a few people sign up for it via Facebook and 2 other forums. I'm on my third challenge today. And if nothing else, I am becoming much more active!
14 Feb 2015, 13:25
My challenge arrived today and it is to 'eat a vegetable or fruit which I have never tried before'. I'm not going to be able to do that until I next go to the shops on Monday so, until then, I am going to make sure that I eat five portions of vegetables and one of fruit each day - not much of a challenge because I do that most days anyway but the best I can do when it's a ten mile round trip to the nearest shop! :smile:
I think that I am going to have to try swede, turnip, kale, cabbage and other unspeakable things! :shock: I haven't eaten any of those since 'school dinners' back in the 1960's, so I think that they will count for the challenge! Wish me luck!
15 Feb 2015, 02:04
Just signed up and received my email too. Our UK Alzheimer's Association has been a great source of support to many friends and they are now supporting my parents and family with weekly home visits. My Mum supported the Kidney Foundation for decades, raising funds, so I'm pleased she is receiving back some support today from AA as she cares for Dad.
15 Feb 2015, 09:26
@stowgateresident I tried chicory for my veg challenge. I roasted it with garlic and bacon. Enjoy your 'new' veg!
20 posts Page 1 of 2