The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

29 posts Page 2 of 2
I avoid fruit in general, too high in carbs making fasting more difficult. A banana will spike your blood sugar, it will drop and make you tired and hungry after the first sugar rush. Long term, it should be better to let your body get used to burning fat instead of sugar.
I must admit, I've done a bit of a double whammy on that one this week. When I first started exercising on a fast day, I didn't suffer from dizziness, but I did feel a bit weak with a very poor performance in the gym. As my body has adapted though, I felt fine by the following week and sometime, I actually have my best performances in the gym when I'm going there on an empty stomach as the body is no longer relying on its glycogen stores for that.

In fact, this week has been the most challenging one of all in that respect because to make up for my weight shooting up to 75.5kg over the weekend, I am doing 4:3 this week instead of the normal 5:2, with every single feeding day being a 16:8 day, even over the weekend (although I am still having some leeway there by not having any of my fasting days over the weekend).

I have already fasted both yesterday and on Monday, and I will be doing my third fasting day tomorrow. That is already paying off as my weight has plummeted all the way down from 75.5kg on Monday, to 72.1kg this morning, which is 11 stone 5 pounds. That has set another new record for my lowest ever weight, and is a loss of half a stone just since Monday.

That shows that the 75.5kg which I recorded on Monday, was in complete isolation from the results from all of my other readings. However, I'm not taking any chances after last weekend's events, and intend to see this week's plans through to the full in order to ensure that such a jump in my weight doesn't happen again.

What this plan means is that I'm never eating before 12 noon any any given day, so that I'm actually doing a 16 hour zero calorie fast on every single day. Yesterday, I did a gym session on a fasting day, and on an empty stomach. My performance there showed that I am on really good form there just there.

However, that came with the previous day being a feeding day (albeit a 16:8 one). However, this morning brought an even bigger challenge as I did a full step class on the day after a fasting day. Although today is technically a feeding day, I did that class in a fasted state as a result of today being a 16:8 day, and before I had therefore, not had any chance to break that fast properly. That means that if any, my body would be running on an even lower store of energy than yesterday.

Yet despite that, I still got through that class feeling really really good and with a lot of energy. I did feel a little bit light-headed during that class, but not enough to make me feel dizzy or to affect my performance in that class in any way. I'm also sure that the more I go through challenges like that, the more that any light-headedness will go away.
Congratulation, John for your progress, that's really great :like:

No dizziness today. It's still a chore but not a torture anymore, which is good progress, the aches have almost dissapeared and I only stopped once, for 2 minutes, to catch my breath and drink some water.

For now I'll keep doing that way, only with water, it's simpler I suppose

The body really is a wonderfull machine, mine didn't work for years but waking it up is not as hard as I thought. It's the biggest lesson I learned yet :grin:
Progress is great, but I just wish that my blood pressure would come down as that still hasn't really come down by any amount since last weekend's events that caused it to rise by quite a bit. However, I'm aware that this might be due to the extra fasting that I'm doing this week. That is bound to raise cortisol levels and in addition to that, even that greater determination than normal to ensure that my next official weigh-in on Monday doesn't show a weight gain from last Monday, is also probably acting as an extra adrenalin to push up the cortisol levels even further.

That is all bound to have an impact in terms of preventing my blood pressure from going down in the manner that I would expect. However, this week is only a one-off in that regard, and I should be able to return to a normal 5:2 week next week (with Monday and Thursday being my fasting days), albeit with more 16:8 days to prevent any massive increases in my weight.

That should make me a bit more relaxed and I'm hoping that this is when my blood pressure will start to come down as a result.
I suppose it takes several days for the body to recover from excess. For me it's not my blood pressure but my breathing I have a problem with, that's why I have to stop once for 2 minutes to catch my breath after 30 minutes. However, it's better than it was monday so there's hope.

The dizzyness is gone, the aches are almost completely gone, the only thing now, and it's quite funny actually, is my legs and arms are wobly for a while and I even have troubles to go upstairs for about one hour after I came back

I hate to admit, my lovely man was right, even I can do regular sports.... :razz: :grin:

I just hope today the wind will be nicer to me and there wont be the usual annoying shower :wink:
I had dizziness today accompanied by queasyness. Heavy workout the morning after a fast. Serves me right I suppose. @manderley liking the new avatar. Is that your cat?
Had to look was queasyness was
Even if I don't feel dizzy, I still feel very weak after a big workout. I have to stay put for a while as I can't walk, my legs don't react. It doesn't last long, however.

In fact the only big problem now is with my butt.... :grin:

Thanks, the avater is one of my 2 beauties :heart:
A friend of mine told me he got on a roof the day after his very first fast and he started getting dizzy up on the roof. He got down quick smart and ate a banana and it took 30 minutes for him to feel better.
Does dry banana works as well ?

Thanks for the tip about salt, maybe I could try with salty mineral water (St Yorre here) to take with me

Yesterday was dreadfull, it rained just in the middle of my ride and I was soaking wet when I came home. I guess I should try to find something to put on my head but I hate it and I am wayyyyyyy too old to wear a cap... :razz: :grin:
These days I'm enjoying my workout the morning after a fast although I do take it easier on the treadmill (but not the weights). By the time I get home I feel I have well and truly deserved my cafe latte with a bowl of porridge with chia seeds and raspberries or Bircher muesli.
:heart: :heart: Well Done Manderlay :heart: :heart
You're doing great and it doesn't matter what you look like or your age if wearing a hat is the only way to get the cycling done wear it and sod everyone that see's
you with it on. :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:
Now you never expected to be doing all these different excercise sessions thinking this time last year well
did you ? Keep with it and your butt will catch-up and in the unlikely event that it doesn't well it's got to be a hell of a lot better than it used to be :heart: :heart: Sue :heart: :heart:
I was told once that the fastest way to get sugar into your system is diluted fresh orange juice. Apparently the watering down of it makes it hit your bloodstream faster. Better than an isotonic drink! I like coconut water, it does the same job.
Sue, the cap don't even cover my ears so it's no use
I sure didn't think I would do exercises everyday a few weeks ago...Today is beautiful so, even if I didn't plan to go (it's a bank holiday), I will in one hour or so. the only change will may be for how long.

I'll try the diluted orange juice, Karen. Somebody told me about banana and peanut butter I may try that as well :wink:

It seems that even after only a week, some results can be seen. :cool:
29 posts Page 2 of 2