The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

29 posts Page 1 of 2
Today is a fast day for me and, as I do since a few days, I did 1 hour cycling. However, it's the first time I do it on a fast day and in addition to the aches, I feel dizzy which is normal, I suppose but I don't know how to deal with it without breaking my fast

What can I do to not feel so weak ?
What can I eat on fast days after exercises which doesn't have too many calories and helps to recover ?

Thanks
Hi Manderley,
I don't fast on the days when I do a lot of cardio, I feel that my body needs fuel to be effective, and I'm sure I would feel a little dizzy afterwards.

How about a banana? I know they're not super low in cals, but would give your body much needed nutrients and sugars. Maybe just factor it into your calorie allowance for the day? Or maybe a small protein bar that doesn't have too much sugar? Check the cals first though.
It may be a need for salt rather than calories you need. I cannot imagine the human race surviving if they got dizzy after hunting down a dear after a fast. So try a mug of boulion to get your salt levels back up, it should be a maximum of 30kcals per mug.
I have a banana about an hour to an hour and a half before I exercise & don't feel dizzy at all
I think you may need to see, as your body gets used to it. Is it a new exercise regime? there shouldn't be any dizzyness. I exercise the evening of a fast, the morning after a fast with no breakfast. All just on a cup of tea, I have a fitness instructor friend who has a banana before every class she teaches but she says its just out of habit, but never has tried without.
The banana seems too high in calories for a fast day so maybe the bouillon is better.

Imagine you didn't exercise for 20 years. Sure these past months I did a bit of Pilates and walk but nothing compare to cycling in the rain and wind.... The aches seem to get better as days goes by, the dizziness surely happened because all I had in my stomach since last night was black coffee and water....

My body is not used to work that hard on a fast day...
I always exercise first thing in the morning on fast days so my body doesn't have time to realise its burning fat (I hope!)
Then you need to be patient dear M. It will come good. Your body is shouting at you and saying Oy what are you doing! Cycling can be deceptive, it's very energy consuming. I suspect if I joined you I would also feel a bit wobbly. But keep it up
Karen, first thing in the morning, I do the 30 day shred..... And I hate cycling when it's dark outside (I get up at 6:30)...

Even if I still hate it, I made a commitment so I'll continue to suffer... I am feeling much much better than yesterday, which is really good, less tired and I can move, which is a miracle ! Tomorrow I'll try to take salty water with me as it seems my body crave salt during or after a big effort. Today the wind seemed to follow me and I had it in the face for the whole trip, except just before I came home.... of course.....

One of the very positive things with exercising is how proud I feel... It's a really good feeling
Manderley wrote: Karen, first thing in the morning, I do the 30 day shred..... And I hate cycling when it's dark outside (I get up at 6:30)...

Even if I still hate it, I made a commitment so I'll continue to suffer... I am feeling much much better than yesterday, which is really good, less tired and I can move, which is a miracle ! Tomorrow I'll try to take salty water with me as it seems my body crave salt during or after a big effort. Today the wind seemed to follow me and I had it in the face for the whole trip, except just before I came home.... of course.....

One of the very positive things with exercising is how proud I feel... It's a really good feeling

Caroline is right M, it gets easier. I have been exercising again for about a month and the first couple of weeks I got dizzy if I put my head down or did a squat or lunge too fast. Remember to drink lots and lots of water so you are not dehydrated.
:heart: Hi Manderlay. :heart:
Keep up yout water intake make sure you've actually had lots Before you go out on your bike. :heart: :heart:
I always walk on each of my F/days with no dizzy feelings at all, except once when i overdid it with very little water taken with me to top-up on the way, and always have more water on my return while the kettle is boiling to make a hot drink of oxo/boullion. Well done on all this excercise you're doing a great job and such dedication, I think you must be getting very close to your goal now. Good Luck :clover: Sue. :clover:
Like @rawkaren, I exercise on the morning of a fast day which I find not only feels good, but also I'm not hungry for the rest of the morning so it makes the fast day more comfortable.

I once exercised the day after a fast, but found it very hard going, so I don't do that now.

Everyone's different though. It sounds like you're doing a lot of exercise, and at that level of activity you perhaps need to be quite precise about what you eat and when, so experiment with the suggestions here - maybe it's your salt/potassium levels, maybe lack of energy.

The only time I've experienced actual dizziness/sickness when exercising was walking the Inca Trail, no doubt due to the combination of altitude and exertion, but I felt almost instantly better when someone shared with me their electrolyte drink.
Hi Manderlay!

If you're schedule is more flexible, you can try pushing your exercise time to as close as possible to your breaking fast time. That way you'll get to fuel soon after your big workout (30 day shred + cycling is a big workout in my book ;)). I've been exercising mostly in fasted state the last two months, and I've often used this approach with good result (no dizziness).

Adopted this approach from Martin Berkhan's Leangains protocol:
http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

... although his protocol is more geared towards 16:8 IF, his workout is more focused on strength training and he reccommends taking BCAA supplement pre-workout. But I do without the BCAA and I alternate cardio and strength training and it works just fine I think.

Anyway, keep it up with the 30 days shred. + cycling.. I've never managed to finished the whole 30 days :D.
I have a question,what do you think about eating dry fruits while exercising ? A friend of mine told me it could be good and help with the sense of weakness
Manderley wrote: I have a question,what do you think about eating dry fruits while exercising ? A friend of mine told me it could be good and help with the sense of weakness

From what I gather from my runner friend, runners tend to fuel during run, with things like dried fruit, energy gel, etc. But the runs are long runs >1 hour. So I guess it depends on what kind of exercise intensity & duration you're doing.

Personally my exercises usually lasts only up to 1 hour, so I don't feel the need to do so. But as they say, you gotta try and find what works for you ;).
29 posts Page 1 of 2