The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Gym
10 Jan 2014, 16:17
Want some advice. I go to Zumba classes every Thursday suits me down to the ground as it is so much fun and doesn't feel like a workout. As this is on my fast day just wondered what you do regarding meals when working out. do you eat your meal beforehand or afterwards ? Do you make allowances for the calories you are burning so eat a bit more? Also what do you tend to eat before or a fter a class? Sorry for all the questions just trying to find a happy balance!
Re: Gym
10 Jan 2014, 16:40
I don't go to the gym but I have been known to do a good bout on the exercise bike on a fast day. Personally I would find it better to eat after the exercise as it would make me hungry, rather than before. I would think something like a banana would be a good choice if you felt you needed an energy boost for the class, and then you'd still have around 400 cals left for your dinner :) The sugar in the banana may just make you more hungry though.

Ideally you shouldn't eat extra calories on a fast day even if you've 'earned' them from exercising. The idea is to minimise on food intake on those days. If you're relatively new to fasting and find it difficult with the exercise I'd suggest you try splitting your calories between lunch & dinner so you can eat before and after, then as you get used to it you may well find it no problem to do the exercise on an empty tummy and enjoy your 500 cals for dinner after.
10 Jan 2014, 21:00
The science shows that exercising in a fasting state burns more fat and helps your overall fitness as it encourages your body to use fat as a fuel and save your sugar stores (glycogen) for emergencies so your endurance improves. So I'd eat afterwards!
10 Jan 2014, 21:07
Muftanza wrote: Want some advice. I go to Zumba classes every Thursday suits me down to the ground as it is so much fun and doesn't feel like a workout. As this is on my fast day just wondered what you do regarding meals when working out. do you eat your meal beforehand or afterwards ? Do you make allowances for the calories you are burning so eat a bit more? Also what do you tend to eat before or a fter a class? Sorry for all the questions just trying to find a happy balance!

Hi Muftanza, I love zumba too but my class is at the slightly awkward time of 1pm. As I don't eat breakfast anyway that would mean an even longer fast than my usual 16:8 if I didn't eat before then so what I tend to do is have a handful of almond nuts and/or some greek yogurt about 30 mins before and then have my lunch afterwards around 2.15. Seems to work for me and keeps me going!
4 posts Page 1 of 1