The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Does anyone run for exercise?
03 Mar 2013, 09:38
I went running for the first time yesterday, well I was walking and running in spurts as I have never run for exercise before because I have a bit of a dodgy back. I looked into the correct posture for running, how you should land on each step etc, and when I went yesterday, I really enjoyed it.

Does anyone else run for exercise? How often do you run and how far do you go? Does it build muscle as well as burn fat?

I am really hoping to stick at it as I go through phases of doing different exercises and never stick at one thing!
Hi there, there is a really good running blog on the Guardian website which offers lots of info for people new to it like me. I am currently doing a couch to 5k program which is a free app but I have to do mine on a treadmill as I find it too hot to run outside although I would much prefer to.
I would love to run for fitness but I think you need to be doing resistance exercise such as weights to build muscle.
I'm working up to it. I'm generally broken so having a take a more gentle approach so I went on a Chi running course last year and am going to have a go a t more barefoot running, once it warms up. Interestingly, as I've done the majority of my exercise (Pilates for my dodgy back) over the years, I'm finding it easier than with shoes but it does need some care with posture, form and distance. I don't do distance atm, as I'm pretty heavy and not very fit.
Running is my only form of exercise atm, i really need to incorporate some strength training though.

You should work on improving on your endurance if anything and C25K is a great program for that.

It takes time but hopefully the running will grow on you. 10X better than actually going to a gym when you can easily just run outside for free and take in some beautiful scenery.
Hi Sophieh, have a look at the parkrun website - there is probably a 5k Saturday morning run quite near you. All sorts are welcomed, from top athletes to dieters wanting to shift the pounds & it's all very friendly - no pressure. You register & print off a barcode then when you finish a run it gets scanned into the system & all your results (time, position, age grade) are available on the net for comparison (and hopefully show a steady improvement with time!) Friendly rivalry with similar people is the order of the day - highly recommended, wife & I are devotees and she got a Personal Best yesterday - (she is doing a 6:1 style fast and cutting out snacks (and chocolate for Lent)...
I use to go running but haven't been since having my last baby. I might start again once the weather warms up a bit, but im with the baby all the time so it's difficult to find the time. After my first child i was running when she was taking her nap at lunch time but my new son hardly sleeps during the day, anything from 10 minuets to half an hour, so i hardly ever get a chance to do anything without him. He is 20 months now and i'v got the feeling im not going to get any free time from him till he starts nursery when he's 3.

I'v stopped and started running many times, mainly i run in the summer when the weather's nice. I'm not a very sporty person and i don't do marathons or anything, im just running round the block to try to keep fit. When i start running i can only run for about 2 minuets then have to walk for a minuet then run again, but once iv been doing it every day for a few weeks i can really push myself and can run the whole way without stopping. I probably run about a mile. And that's the extent of my exercise really. I don't have time to go further as i have to get back for the kids. I'm a full time mum to my two young kids and they take up all my time. I sometimes do sit ups and tummy exercises, but the baby jumps on me and doesn't give me peace lol
I run, only up to 10k at a time, but usually it is 5km 3 times a week, or 6 times a week in summer when it is lighter in the morning (I like running as soon as I get up in the morning). I've been doing it for a year now, I'm 47 and I'm still not sure it is the best thing for knees due to the stress exerted on them. But I enjoy doing it and much prefer outdoor exercise to being inside a gym.
Yep, me too, but on treadmill due to damaged ankles. For the rest i do yoga, and a strength class at work. As far as strength is concerned you really should look into some other form of exercise. Might also be good for your dodgy back. And more muscles burn more fat :-)
The NHS choices website has lots of info and a series of instruction podcasts for running (Couch to 5k) and strength thatt mey be helpful.
Android users might like Rundouble.com which is an app with C25K and other interval based running programs, it tracks your speed etc via GPS and uploads resutls to the web.
Hi,
I walk twice a day I do 3-4 miles I use runkeeper its a good app for any kind of exercise.
Hi
I've been running on and off for the last 2-3 years .... Usually end up not running over winter due to health/weather then starting a couch to 5k plan again to build back up.

I find running on a fast day no problem but on the day after if I run before I eat then I feel a but sluggish /light headed when I finish

I ran further than I gave ever run before on Sunday 12.5 miles on just a herbal tea and black coffee but on Zmonday (fast day) ran 2.5 miles to try to avoid being stiff snd sore.....

It is fantastic exercise and can help keep weight loss moving - and it doesn't have to be hard.... You should run at a pace you can still talk..... for me that's about 11 mins per mile.....

Give it a try... You just need a pair of trainers (and sports bra for females ;) )
eckat wrote: Hi
I find running on a fast day no problem but on the day after if I run before I eat then I feel a but sluggish /light headed when I finish

That's my experience too. I felt so light headed this morning before breakfast after a fast day yesterday there is no way I could have run! But running on a fast day, no problem.
Ive started running again after a year off as its so cheep and easy to use for weight loss. I have a running buddy and shes helped me get up yo 15k! ! I could only manage 5k before. I feel so much fitter and the fasting is just addingvto that as I know its amazing health benifits. So far ive lost 1/2 a stone and 3 ins from my waist!!
13 posts Page 1 of 1