The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

24 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Horse riding!
03 Jun 2013, 09:31
I have an ancient palomino gelding of indeterminate breeding. He is at least 31 years old (equivalent to 93 in human terms) so I haven't ridden him for ages as I felt my increasing weight was too much for him. He came out of the winter in very poor condition, despite feeding him haylage rather than plain hay, but he has started to look a bit better now. I may risk getting on board again soon. Anyone have any idea of what kind of weight I could assume he is OK with? He is 14.3hh, cob type with a fair amount of bone but not huge...probably similar to a Welsh cob or a little lighter. He still has poverty lines down his rump and no topline to speak of!

Here he is when he was younger and I was thinner!
03 Jun 2013, 13:22
If I'm totally honest, depending on when you last rode him, I'm not sure I'd put him back into work now Caroline - I stopped riding our elderly mare because she has COPD & after a winter off work I think it was much to ask of her to come back into work in the spring - a youngster/middle-aged horse can handle that but the old folks need constant light work to stay riding fit.

Love the picture by the way, looks like a real stunner (& yes, I'm talking about the horse !!!)
03 Jun 2013, 13:50
I was thinking of just an amble to the end of the road and back (about 10 mins walking) rather than "work". But starting with walking in hand to the end of the road for a week or two rather than ridden at first...do you think that would be possible? I've not ridden him for a couple of years :-(
03 Jun 2013, 16:08
You'll know best Caroline, I wouldn't ride either of my 2 oldies but that's because one has arthritis & the other one COPD - if you think your babe is up to it then I'm sure he is, just take it careful as you suggested :)
08 Jun 2013, 14:07
I saw in an article a few months back that vets reccommend rough guidelines that the rider should be no more than 10-15% of the horse's weight, although breed,leg bone, strength of back etc would affect this too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... blems.html

I am 14.5% of my horse's estimate weight but with the help of 5:2 hoping to get down to 12% (10% would be 45kg and unhealthily underweight!)
11 Jun 2013, 13:02
Another horserider here! I got to the point I was too heavy for my horse and had to stick to leading him out in hand which helped shift a few pounds. Now 2 stone lighter than my heaviest weight, I went to mount (mounting block) and nearly threw myself over the other side! Note to self, doesnt take as much effort to get on nowadays!!!
11 Jun 2013, 16:46
I recently sold my pony as I was too heavy for her. I am still riding though, at least twice a week I hack a friends horse. Once I get my weight down again I will look for another pony. Really want a highland.
11 Jun 2013, 17:25
Hi everyone - I am 56 and just returned to riding. I also have a Clydesdale-X so she is quite chunky and we are both now losing weight :) I have pretty dodgy knees after 25 years of karate (I no longer train) and find dismounting hard as knees dont always support me when I hit the ground, so have decided to do something about the weight which has crept up!
11 Jun 2013, 17:48
Welcome to the forum Imocat! Lots of tips, advice, support, and information (5:2 related and not, lol) to be found here. Browse around and enjoy. :)
24 posts Page 2 of 2