The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

40 posts Page 3 of 3
Re: Fasting and HIIT
25 Apr 2013, 06:09
I do mine in the pool, mid session, after a 500m freestyle warm up, wait till heart breathing have slowed down and then do 5x50, 25 out gentle gentle breastroke then 25 back all out free with only one breath (15s ish). For me the intention is to do each one at max capacity which means resting until I`m ready to go again so i don`t have a set interval between each one.

Would like to do it in the ocean but am worried a passing whaling vessel might harpoon me.
25 Apr 2013, 06:16
Dr M responded via twitter to a similar question about recovery time and he said about a minute between reps of high intensity or until you can talk normally...but the last bit was not via twitter, I think it was on a segment on the radio (you and yours, r4 he did a few months back).
25 Apr 2013, 06:39
My VO2 max testing memories are not happy ones. To get the truest recording you need to be going flat out for at least 30s or so (whilst someone is collecting or measuring the o2/co2 content) of your exhaled air, after gradually building up to that intensity over 20mins or so. It used to really hurt. The reading was also dependent on how motivated you were to take yourself to your absolute limit.
I can@t remeber what being a non responder on the Horizon prog meant exactly, can anyone remind me?
I would have thought that a one off vo2max reading wouldn`t indicate if you are a responder. I guess you need to do one before starting an exercise regime and then another a few weeks (6?) into the regime?
25 Apr 2013, 07:31
His aerobic capacity didn't improve but his blood sugar sensitivity was significantly reduced.

You can see the full documentary here: http://video.pbs.org/video/2364989581
25 Apr 2013, 08:08
skippyscuffleton wrote: I can@t remeber what being a non responder on the Horizon prog meant exactly, can anyone remind me?
I would have thought that a one off vo2max reading wouldn`t indicate if you are a responder. I guess you need to do one before starting an exercise regime and then another a few weeks (6?) into the regime?
It meant two things: he was measured twice, I can't remember how long between the readings (was it 6 weeks?). He also had the genetic markers tested, and his prediction based on that was right at the bottom.
19 May 2013, 12:13
5:2 & HIT longterm rather than to lose weight.
There are HIT or HIIT groups and forums but they are a bit too extreme for me. Also a lot of the 5:2 discussions are about weight loss rather than long term maintenance.

I set up a facebook group before realising there was discussion on here about HIT. Does anyone think a group is needed ?

The group is http://www.facebook.com/groups/5.2HIITlifestyle/
but if you know of another one already please pass me the link. There's only me in mine so far !

(I got kicked out of the 5:2 group I was in for daring to suggest another group. So much for free speech ! )
19 May 2013, 12:20
How do we know that out primordial ancestors were actually healthier? How long did they live for?

What diseases did they suffer from?
19 May 2013, 18:13
tomtank wrote: How do we know that out primordial ancestors were actually healthier? How long did they live for?

What diseases did they suffer from?

I expect they mostly died before diseases got to them. that's why we didn't evolve resistance to age related illnesses. The immune system weakens during starvation so infections would have been a problem without the medicines of today.

I think the argument is more that we spent many 1,000 years evolving on the paleo diet. Intensive agriculture and highly processed food is recent.

However I believe there is evidence young people today have more in the way of cardiovascular disease than cavemen did.
27 Jul 2013, 01:23
Decided to try and revive this thread as I am going to start HIIT to get this plateau moving if that's ok :D

I did my first HIIT today. Fifteen minutes of alternating walking/slow jogging with bursts of sprinting.

It was brilliant! Although during my sprints I was ranting and raving under my breath (most of the words began with 'F'!) it gives you a wonderful adreneline rush when you do the cool-down walk. Will definitely be making this a regular thing, but no more than twice a week for now and mayyyyyybe adding an extra one if I am brave enough!

A tip that helped me get through it: use an ipod and choose a song with verses and chorus and the faster the song the better! Then I walk/jog in the verses and do the sprint during the choruses. The timing works perfectly so you can concentrate on the exercising and the you get lost in the music so the workout passes by in a flash!

A few of the songs I used are: Wake Me Up - Avicii, I Love It - Icona Pop and Hunting High and Low - Stratovarius and Still Take You Home - Arctic Monkeys.

If others could give their experiences and advice it would be great to hear from you. Best of luck everyone trying HIIT :D
28 Jul 2013, 11:08
I've been doing HIIT for several months now based on the TABATA regime. However the 8 reps I started with have now turned into 10, 20 or more depending on how I feel. The exercise I use is squats assisted by a face height pull up bar using Tabata HIIT app (Android) for timing. I then also do some less intense aerobic work. Strangely the 5 or 10 minutes HIIT passes more quickly than the same time at aerobic.
I've had to skip my last fast day as my weight fell below the minimum I've set.I certainly don't seem to experience the bounce back in weight that's talked about. I don't have a greater appetite, despite having lost 9 or 10 pounds in the last year and even have less of a craving for sweet things.
40 posts Page 3 of 3