The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

27 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Fasting and weightlifting
20 Aug 2013, 20:55
Me. Take it easy until you're adapted. If the body is used to a carb pathway, it takes a while to adapt.

I train fasted but eat well the day before & after.

What sort of weight are you looking at?

I also do the met cons fasted.
20 Aug 2013, 20:55
Me. Take it easy until you're adapted. If the body is used to a carb pathway, it takes a while to adapt.

I train fasted but eat well the day before & after. I might drink a glass of milk as soon as I get home.

What sort of weight are you looking at?

I also do the met cons fasted.
21 Aug 2013, 06:18
Yes, I'm weight training and fasting. Some day I fast and train. Sure, you shouldn't do too much on fasting day, cause, as you said, you're exhausted from fasting. I urge you to read Brad Pilon's blog on fasting and weight training. He debunks a lot of myths of the weight lifting world.
21 Aug 2013, 06:25
Thanks, I tried Brad Pilon's blog last night, but found it hard to find what I was looking for.

Maybe I first let my body get used to fasting, before I start training on a fast day. What is your experience with fasting after a training day? Might the extra muscle pain be a result of fasting?

BBT053 wrote: What sort of weight are you looking at?

Do you mean what I do in the gym? It is not impressive yet. I for example squat with 45 kilo, deadlift with 42,5 and I do 'benchpresses' with 2 dumbbells of 14 kilo each.
Fasting and weightlifting
09 Oct 2013, 14:57
This is an article that helps weightlifters if you are serious about lifting weights. Based off of my experience with wrestling in High School and College, running on fasting days would be fine, weight training, DEFINATELY NOT!!! You muscles require calories and protein to build. The act of lifting weights itself does not build muscle, it actually breaks down your muscles, the growth only occurs when the muscle rebuilds itself.

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/5 ... or-lifters

Note: It's not an article, it's an advertisement. Please consider all advice contained in it accordingly. - Tracieknits
11 Oct 2013, 07:58
Hmm.., I lift some weights sometimes on the beginning morning of zero cal days, and sometimes the morning after. I feel fine, and I don't really care about the workout performance. If I lift until I fail and can't do it again, I assume good things happen.

But am I actually losing muscle mass by not eating on my gym days? It seems odd to me, putting stress on your muscles, and your body responds by destroying muscle mass instead of burning fat of which there are plenty. Really?

Repairing damaged muscle fibers should only require tiny amounts of protein.

I didn't find the article above very credible, someone selling a product.
11 Oct 2013, 09:06
I train fasted but I do eat after (and I eat lots, inc fats and carbs) and now I've switched to 16:8 so I can eat as soon as I get in.
10 Jan 2014, 01:43
oops. I probably should have bumped this thread instead. Funny to see that I posted on it. I had totally forgotten that I lifted some weights this summer. I think we went to the gym all of twice to do that. haha. (A different friend was helping me then. And I broke my arm not long after that)

I'm copying my other post here because this thread has a more general title and therefore a greater chance of surviving.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm starting a weight lifting program for toning up and for strengthening muscles for running. I'm a total newbie to weight lifting and I've no idea what I'm doing. I have help from a friend who was certified as a personal trainer (this is something that has to be updated, which she hasn't done, but she certainly knows more than me!)

I've been reading around a lot about it. It seems that the old advice given to women who don't want to bulk up - lift lower amounts for more reps - is not accepted now. Evidently it doesn't work the muscles enough to make any difference. Do any of you have opinions about this?

Also, these weight lifting sites are crazy. No wonder people never picked up IF from them. They're off in their own little world of getting nutrition out of frickin' bottles. OMG the supplements. It's scarier than processed food! However, having said that, after reading around a bit (like on the precision nutrition site)… I wonder if branched-chain amino acids are worth looking into, especially if I'm working out on fast days, not near meal times. Opinions?
10 Jan 2014, 16:13
I wouldn't worry about supplements until you are lifting heavy. I don't glug protein or BCAAs, whereas a lot of people in my gym do.

I have started with creatine but it's played havoc with my weight graph!

I think the idea about bulking up is that women do not have enough testosterone to bulk, even with heavier weights.

http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitnes ... g-debunked
11 Jan 2014, 10:59
Thanks BBT053. I have a genuine worry about bulking up because I have massive thighs--so big I've been getting rude comments about them from people my whole life. They are the only excessively large muscle I've ever had though, so I'm coming around to the idea that it's genetic. We'll see how it goes. I'm unlikely to bulk up over night in any case.
11 Jan 2014, 13:30
Yep, it will be. I think there's a thought that you can shape your body to your will but it's just not possible, I'm just a smaller version of myself now. I think you have to do a lot of isolation exercises to do this possibly but they're not functionally useful.

Think functional, useful thighs as you'll be able to squat at 75 and won't need help with the toilet.

I have massive thighs too but I'm really short between hip and knee and shoulder and elbow, so any muscles are squashed up. Apparently this means I'm typical weightlifter shape and if I'd started at 10 not 41, I'd be good! :-)
11 Jan 2014, 13:52
I do 10 minutes of HIIT and and 40+ minutes of strength exercises 4 times a week, sometimes 5 times a week. So I have at least one day when on a fast. As I don't eat on a fast day, at all, I have to listen to me body. There have been some fast days where I feel i run a maraton (self delusional there) but others where I have just felt that I didn't have the energy for it. So I missed out the high intensity stuff and just rode the stationary bike at a lower level for as long as I felt able, then did the usual strength exercises. My gym instructor has me on lots of reps at light weight for now, just to get the muscles used to exercise again. Plus he has avoided anything to do with my neck (nasty prolapsed disk, waiting for surgery) except for incidental strengthening because the back and shoulder muscles are being worked. I find I have no problems with the strength exercises with the weights, but the are light weights. The cardio gives me problems.
27 posts Page 2 of 2