The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

27 posts Page 1 of 2
Fasting and weightlifting
10 Jun 2013, 20:33
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this blog, and only started doing the fast diet last Monday. Today marks my 3rd fast day, and so far I've found it easier than I anticipated.

I'm a massive exercise lover, and I was concerned about exercising on my fast days in case I didn't have enough energy, or incase it made me really hungry that I'd ruin my fast post workout. But today I just bit the bullet and went for my workout anyway. Turns out that my energy didn't waver at all, and the exercise actually suppressed my appetite! And that's with consuming no calories beforehand - I wanted to save all my cals for a meal this evening.

Very happy with that!

My workout consisted of 40 mins HIIT on the stairmaster.

I've recently (in the past few months) got into lifting weights and have built muscle. I really love how its shaping my body and really don't want that to change on this eating plan. If there are any weight lifters out there that can share their experiences whilst fasting I'd be very grateful. I know that I am not going to build muscle whilst on the plan as I will have a calorie deficit, but I just don't want to loose the muscle I do have!

Re: Fasting and weightlifting
10 Jun 2013, 21:46
I do aerobics and participate in a weight training class on fast days and find it no trouble at all and my muscle seems good--very good for my age, actually. Of course, I'm not in your muscle-building category being in my early 70's and lifting weights in a class at a senior citizens center! The class ranges in age from 50's through the 80's. I use weights heavier than most of the other women but my husband, at age 80, often attends the class and has fantastic muscle tone for his age.

We get a lot of comments on how good (and young) we look. I attribute it to good luck first, and exercise second.

It's the morning after a fast day that I feel a little weak before breakfast, so I forgo the early morning workout that day. The weakness goes away after eating breakfast and being sure to drink lots of water, too.

I don't know if any comments from an oldster like me is any good to you, but hope it might be somewhat helpful. Good luck!

btw I started 5 2 on April 15 and am only 1 pound from my goal!
10 Jun 2013, 21:53
Good question. I'm running, and I find cardio is perfect for fast days just like you have because of the appetite suppression (mid-day is perfect, tides me over until evening meal or so).

I'd say that there's no rule that fits all people, that you should try it and see how it goes. I'm going to start incorporating weights/resistance into my workouts soon (for the last 6 months or so I've been focused on treadmill running, so now I'm going to branch out a bit and give some form to the muscle that's finally exposing itself after a several years-long nap cuddled up inside layers of fat...). I was planning on running/cardio on fasting days and weights/resistance on feed days, but I'm certainly interested in others' experiences with this.
10 Jun 2013, 22:05
I go to the gym and do bike, cross trainer and then a program of weights using gym equipment and in between it all stretches. It has all been vetted by an exercise physiologist as I have some old injuries to mind.
If I have eaten or have not waited long enough past my last meal I feel awful, eg it is not as easy to do and much harder work. But I do feel the need to eat a snack of protein afterwards
Being a past couch potato I can't assure you enough how good it feels
10 Jun 2013, 22:06
I sometimes struggle with running on fast days. I get it done but I'm sluggish. I also do light weight lifting and prefer doing that on fast days.
11 Jun 2013, 02:46
I also sometimes struggle with running on fast days. I don't seem to have any problems with the elliptical or yoga on fast days.
11 Jun 2013, 07:41
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I will just do a bit of experimenting and see what works for me. It's always good, and interesting, to hear other peoples experiences. These forums are cetainly good for that!

Thanks!
16 Jun 2013, 21:57
Hi I do a pump class twice a week ( one hour heavy weights). I have recently started skipping breakfast so do my classes on an empty stomach. I have found this to be fine with no extra hungar problems. Must admit that i have not done a pump class on my fast days though, I avoid that.
I love the sculpting effect that weights have on my body - much more toned and less flabby and helps reduce the onset of osteoporosis and keeps the weight happening.
18 Jun 2013, 14:02
Sorry, a bit late to this discussion. I workout much better in a fasted stated - both cardio (HIIT running) and weights (I am trying to lift heavy - ultimate goal to lift my bodyweight in squats/lunges/deadlifts). If I eat before a cardio or weights session I feel sluggish and bloated and tired. Checkout the Leangains site for more info on lifting in a fasted state.
18 Jun 2013, 14:14
Hi SarFran! Have you heard of Brad Pilon's work? He wrote a book on fasting and weight lifting. He also has a blog with lots of information on the subject. I myself am considering taking on resistance training to give my body some shape.

What puts me off is the fact that it is a male dominated sport and being surrounded by bulky men scares me.
18 Jun 2013, 14:17
Try a Crossfit gym, it's very inclusive and I'm very comfortable in mine, even as an older, larger woman.

We do a fair bit of Olympic lifting.
18 Jun 2013, 14:24
Can't help with weight lifting, but I don't have a problem running on fast days. But I do the day after a fast day before eating something!
25 Jul 2013, 08:21
On Tuesday I started the Venus Factor 12 week workout program. What attracted me to it is that it is designed for women specifically and it can be done at home. I only had to buy an exercise bench and some dumbbells.

The author advocates fasting for weight loss and weight lifting for shapely and healthy body. There are some pretty impressive success stories on the VF website.

I'm still sore after Tuesday but will bite the bullet and get on with the workout today again (it's for 3 days a week).
25 Jul 2013, 08:23
Oh, and it's fasting day for me today too, so will see what that is going to do to the exercise routine.
20 Aug 2013, 20:18
Hi, I am brand new here and have some doubts about the combination of fasting and strenght training. I mean the heavy weights: the barbells and the dumbbells (in my gym there are some bulky men, but they are actually very friendly and helpful).

First of all it asks a lot from your body, because you are supposed to lift almost until failure. Secondly, your muscles do need quite some protein afterwards to repair.

I have just had my first fast day yesterday. I did a strenght training the day before yesterday and I experienced a lot more muslce pain the next two days than I am used to. This can be a coincidence of course, but I was wondering if it might have to do with less calorie intake. I am also hesitating to do strenght training on a fast day.

Is there anyone who has experienced the combination of fasting and heavy strenght training?
27 posts Page 1 of 2