The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

18 posts Page 1 of 2
I'm training for a half marathon in October. I've done 10ks before, but my times are really slow (1h15m ish). Those were all done at a very overweight or obese weight. My training consisted of running slowly 2-3 times a week.

I know I have to get more serious for the half. I've sort of naturally upped my game by running faster--I think I previously was subconsciously protecting my knees, which ached a lot when I ran, but were otherwise uninjured. Anyway, my knees are doing much better ( I still ice as a precaution), but its muscle soreness I have to contend with. I haven't had that for ages!

Anyway... I'm worried about all the training. How much pain is to be expected and just worked through? Should I wait until my muscles aren't sore to run again, even if it means running less than the 4 times a week in all the running plans I find? Right now taking one day off isn't always enough, especially after long runs. Most of the plans are 8-10 weeks, so technically I don't need to be on them yet. Should I use this time to ease myself into it more?

My biggest worry is injury, which luckily so far Ive avoided. I guess I'm panicking a bit because I've forgotten what muscle pain feels like!

We have 3.5 hours to finish btw. I haven't set a goal for time. My goal is to finish uninjured. Anything else is icing.
Hi MaryAnn - where to start?

I don't know how old you are, which does have a bearing on any advice, but knowing that you have had knee problems in the past I would advise you pay attention to muscle pains and take things steadily with no sudden increase in volume or intensity.

That said, a plan would be to run 3 times a week with one shorter/faster, one medium length/pace, one longer slow run which needs to get gradually longer but probably not more than 8 or 9 miles - there should be no need to test yourself over the full distance until the big day.

Don't forget the benefit gained from fast walking - if you can't face running one day do a decent walk instead, or anything else to get you breathing a bit harder.

I trained for my first marathon at age 31 by running an average of 16.5 miles a week for 3 months, longest run 15.5 miles - I got round OK but could not walk very well for a week or so - not recommended but just shows it is possible!

Obviously everything gets harder as you get older but I still managed to get back to half-marathons in 2009 - 2010 but this time it was from a base of 5 or 6 mile runs at lunchtimes twice a week and a 12 - 13 mile slow run on Sundays.
This worked well given I was nearly 60 and was getting stiff with hip problems, to the extent that age-graded results were my best ever over the distance, but it could not last for ever...

Currently all the running I do is 6x400 meters intervals on Wednesday evenings and 5km parkruns on Saturday mornings, so only 5 miles total per week, and this seems to be working and I am running better than I have for a couple of years. The rest of my exercise is walking, biking and a bit of climbing wall work.

Fasting worked well for me but I started to get nervous about losing lean mass after hard/prolonged exercise - make sure you get something suitable to eat/drink immediately after your longer runs to allow glycogen stores to refill and repair muscle damage - chocolate milk comes well recommended!

Good luck, although good training is all you need, let us know how you are getting on as the event approaches...
Good advice. Could I recommend that you include a hilly run every couple of weeks as well. The main thing is to listen very, very closely to your body. You know it better than anyone else.

Good Luck and have fun.
I've done 3 half marathons (although not for a while) and don't think they are actually that much harder than 10ks on the day, as long as you are not aiming to run them super fast. I think if you are fit to do a good 10k, then upping your training judiciously and listening to every ache and pain will work fine. I have often found that 3 or even 4 days off running makes me feel fitter and faster on the next run. I imagine my muscles have had time to repair and replenish themselves. If I take a few days off, I try to have a good long swim instead. Its good cardiovascular exercise and improves fitness, works different muscles and protects your knee and ankle joints. Good luck!
I also have had a knee problem for many years, but took up running recently. I would recommend you have a look at how to improve your running technique. Landing on the front part of your foot, and never on your heel, and not letting the foot land in front of your body might very well solve your knee problem, it worked for me.

It's basically running the same way as if were running barefoot, the knee is not designed as a shock absorber and should not be used as such. You should let your foot and wrist take the impact, not your knee and hip.

Use very short steps, and a high cadence, about 3 steps a second.
Thanks so much, everyone! I'm 48 if that makes any difference to anyone's advice.

I've got a good place for a hilly run, so that should be easy to incorporate. I don't have easy access to a pool, unfortunately, but I use the elliptical sometimes to ease off my knees and there's always the ocean!

Thanks again!
Michael is right about forefoot running but it can take a very long time to make the transition. I actually use both techniques and can change it mid-stride.

Post-exercise muscle aches can be handled quite easily with gentle post exercise static stretching, typically in the evening.

Another effective solution is to take BCAA's both before and immediately after the race. These are branch chain amino acids - the stuff your muscles are made of. Part of their effect is to rebuild the muscles fibers that are damaged during exercise (post race). The other is that they are sacrificial, saving the muscle from damage during the race.
The training is going ok, but I just lost my training partner to 'busy'. I'll do ok on my own unless I start to feel unmotivated. Hopefully she'll be 'unbusy' by then.
Apply here for motivation! Keep going...
Keep it up, you can do it!

I did a half marathon last year before starting 5:2, I'm debating whether to enter again this year now that I'm a bit lighter; my foot is a bit sore, so I'm not sure.

As others have said, make sure you stretch afterwards, and I've been advised to take in protein just after a training run.
Hi !

You can certainly do it !

My best advice is hurry SLOWLY - don't increase your mileage to fast.

Try to think of the training in minutes and not miles or kilometers.(as said before here walking counts)

If you can I would recommend at least one long run of at least 16-18 km before the race but not to close to race day
Thanks Calvin. My training got messed up when I broke my arm. I hope the cast will come off September 5. I hope that leaves enough training time!
Snap again, MaryAnn - September 5th for my cast as well. I have been running with both the original plaster and the replacement fiberglass one but it has been slow and not much fun, missing riding my bike!
So... I'm at it again. Training for a half-marathon on feb. 1. I did a 13k run today, and can do another one or two long runs before the big day. I'm thinking of HIIT between runs, as well as weights, because I don't have a lot of time. Any comments? Is this crazy? Am I better off with more classic interval training?
What sort of HIIT might you do? Tabata sprints look really effective but punishing and might not be a good idea with only a few weeks to your race. Cycling HIIT would be less likely to damage your joints, I think, but I have no experience. I would carry on running as normally, but mix up the pace and distance a bit. Maybe@carorees could help here?
18 posts Page 1 of 2