The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

22 posts Page 1 of 2
Was having a natter with the husband on the way home from the zoo today and we got onto the conversation of exercise DVDs, one of his friend at work swears by one of Davinas fitness DVDs, another says she swears by her yoga DVD, I myself love the Fiona Phillips Bodyshape Solutions as it's gentle but does a great workout.

So what ones do you guys and gals love/swear by?!
Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone. Most of them are now on You Tube so you try them out before buying. They just aren't 'bouncy' so there is minimal damgage to arthritic knees or hips.
I've bought Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred - it's bloody tough but even I (with very loose skin!) am toning up. It took me to day 6 before I could complete it without stopping!
Have to agree with Chickvic, 30 Day Shred is really good and it is available on YouTube.
30DS for me too, I only managed to more or less finish it once but I was super toned by the end of it!
I don't swear by them,they make me swear! :lol:
I got a Mr Motivator dvd from the charity shop but no way could i keep up with him :curse:
Quite like Rosemary Conley's Ultimate Whole body work out
3 levels and even a section on armchair exercise!
:bugeyes: Love Billy Blanks Tae Bo but my streams are failing, so not doing them. they're tough and great fun.
Davina McCall annoys me but I do quite like the one she does with the male trainer. Don't like the dame.
Fighting with Jillian Michaels just now. Like that they are short , intense and hard.
I completed the 30 days once :shock: and am now trying to do it /doing it on alternate days with HIIT on Madmax the rowing machine.
Used to do one with Beverley Callard which was fun and gave me the 'buns of steel' phrase
Also did Callanetics and still dabble in that back and forth- aiming for a perfect peach instead of buns of steel :lol:
Does anyone else find themselves conditioned to start the moves if they hear the music :bugeyes: :doh: :shock: :oops: I have embarrassed myself more then once in public...
I am with@candiceMarie here, you could put every fitness DVD in a pile next to me and I'd merely swear by them :shock:

Ballerina x :heart:
You beat me to it again @Ballerina - it's so tiring watching all those people exercise ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I used to own 30 day shred , 6 week 6 pack and No more trouble zones dvds, then got completely sick of Jillian Michaels and got rid of them :lol:
My go too exercises now are Jessica Smith on youtube. Really like her personality and she has a good variety on there, so can go with the mood and how energetic you are at the time.
Leslie Sansone is good too, and also free on youtube.
Dont like Davina McCall and I dont even know why, she just irritates me terribly
I also used to have Beverly Callard dvd. I quite liked that one :wink:
As far as I am concerned there is no-one to beat the 'mouldy oldie' of callenetics. They are deceptively simple, but they totally change your shape. I am 64 and first did them in the late eighties but they work. Simples!
Anything by "The Firm" out of Charleston, SC. WHEN I use them consistently, I get cardio/strength/flexibility all in one workout with amazing results. They come in assorted time lengths, workout foci, and time periods - the classics are awesome, but it's strange to see high cut leotards with leg warmers and big gold chains! Still the best I've ever used and if I would have used them consistently for the last 20 years, I wouldn't have met all of you!!! The later ones kind of get faddish with step aerobics and other pop fitness stuff, but the ones from the 90's & early 2000's are still relevant and effective. They also promote sensible eating and positive body image through weight training. I'm sure they'd be onboard with 5:2 & HIT. They introduced interval training in their videos in 1993 and have kind of always had up/down heart rate cycles in their workouts. ALSO, the cuing is great and I don't get sick of the instructors. Since I own such a collection, it isn't always the same person or team of people so I don't find myself doing things by rote because I've memorized it. My faves.
David Kirsch New York Body Plan I go back to time and time again. Always gets results.
Erin O'Brien. Strong Body, Fit Body. A good antidote to Jillian Michaels who is not my cup of tea.
If you are fit, P90X is fantastic.
Something a bit different Ballet Beautiful from Mary Helen Bowers. You can stream from her site. No kit needed.
Ooh not heard of David Kirsch, Karen. What sort of routines does he do?

I guess my absolute favourite is Karen Voight. I first saw her on the Elle "The Body" Macpherson DVD and now have several of her own DVDs including her yoga routines. Yes, she's the best.

I also used to religiously work out with Cindy Crawford. Now those are tough!

Years ago I bought Cher's video and used to have fun doing that one with my sister..."one pony, two pony..." Don't ask!

Obviously I can't so these workouts now. I can only stick with yoga routines for 10 mins at a time (although I'm working in doing longer ones :wink:) for this, I follow Barbara Currie.

Like a couple of others, I bought the 39 day shred, but I find the woman a bit too harsh...and she doesn't stop talking! I can understand Davina can be annoying but I do enjoy her workouts and she has some great workouts for batwings, oh no bingo wings! I have to say, while I'm talking about her, I was extremely impressed with Davina who had 7 gruelling says of running, cycling and swimming. The poor thing went through hell ...but she did it!!

Blimey, I've gone in a bit here. Sorry, it's just I have a rather large DVD collection :shock:

Bean :starving:
Hi Bean. @nursebean We must be similar ages. I had The Body for years. I loved it. Voight is amazing. Cher too! With her reebok step workout!

David Kirsch NYBP is a 14 day tough workout. Results guaranteed. You need a Swiss ball, a medicine ball and a set of dumb bells but honestly the best investments I made. Used it for years to get in shape for summer. You have to go low carb and low fat with it to get results. Plus cardio every day. http://ultimatenewyorkbody.com/. Yoga. Try Trudi Styler. She does a great video.
22 posts Page 1 of 2