The FastDay Forum

Fasting today?

Every day there will be a new topic in this forum for today's fasters to chat & support each other.
Please don't make extra threads in here besides the daily fasting threads, if you've got a question please post it in the relevant forum or ask in today's 'Fasting Today' thread, thank you.

748 posts Page 2 of 50
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 50 Next
I am having a coffee in this tent then going off to lie down in the 4:3 tent as like @PennyForthem today I feel a bit tired and lack lustre!
Strange isn't it @Auriga, how sometimes we feel like that?
Not fasting today so going to make Chicken and sweetcorn soup for our Chinese tonight. Have bought a half duck from Tesco, then hubs will have chicken and cashew with stirfry. That should fettle this lack lustre day!
When 5/2ing I currently do 21/3 and 400 calories on fast days. On feed days I tend to not eat before 11am and then not after 7pm, so that's 16/8ing.
I have decided I may not fast the first week in February to reassure my body/brain there is no famine so no need to react so badly. This should lead to week 2 being 16/8, then weeks 3 and 4 being 5/2 again, hopefully.
It's an ongoing experiment in hope :0)
barbarita wrote: Thanks for setting this up and being so liberal in who can get in. Since I transferred my allegiance from Michael Mosley to Bert Herring I was beginning to think I would need to set up my own one-woman tent! Must dash now, my window is closing.

For those who don't know, Bert Herring invented the Fast-5 (i.e., 19:5) method.
I have been doing 16/8 since June 2012. I'm also doing ADF now. I have put a foot in their tent, can I put the other foot in your 16/8 tent. I was thinking of taking up HIIT. Gawd knows what bit can go in their tent!
Can I join you all in the tent, too? I do 16/8 or 18/6 a couple of days a week in addition to two 24-hr no-calorie fasts (then followed by 500 calories).

I am a big proponent of "shaking the toaster," or keeping your body guessing, so I might take a week off of the 24-hr fasts and just do 16/8 or 18/6 and see what happens.
I do 16/8 because I like to fast on a regular basis. I am hoping any alleged long term health benefits from regular fasting find their way into my life. Its about the
FASTING, not about the eating. The other thing about 16/8, and other variants of it, is that I also find it an easy and convenient way to control my weight just as I didn't find WW, Atkins, low calorie etc easy or convenient. We all have to do what works for us and there are enough people on here for whom one form or another of 16/8 is working very nicely.

Ballerina x :heart:
Although no specific research has been conducted on the 16:8 format, there is some interesting research on having a period of fasting every day.

Firstly, studies on Ramadan fasters show that leptin levels (the hormone that tells you you've had enough to eat) increase compared with the same subjects outside of the month of Ramadan (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15573845). Thus fasting itself can have an effect on appetite.

Second, extending the overnight fast from 12 to 18 hours in 9 healthy subjects and in 7 patients with type 2 diabetes resulted in lower blood glucose concentration particularly in the diabetic subjects and this was combined by higher use of fat as a fuel. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2202174

Thus, there is definitely something going on when you extend the time between meals, but you need to experiment to see what is the right mix for you to get the results you want.
Also see Dr. Beradi (http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting), who shows that 16/8 is a proven weight-loss strategy. However, I do agree that if you completely pig out in your window, you won't lose weight. But if you skip a meal a day, that's approximately 300 calories a day, which is 2100 a week, which would cause you to S-L-O-W-L-Y lose weight.
I'm like Ballerina in no longer fasting (as in lowering my calorie intake to 25% of my daily TDEE), and find not eating breakfast and eating lunch, evening meal and a snack suits me and keeps my weight stable. My eating 'window' is often more of a patio or French window to be honest as I have no set times but usually have at least 15 hours during which I don't eat.
I am a 16:8, 18:6, 19:5 fan, there is room for this choice for us to make it doesn't have to be just 5:2. It's a journey of discovery. I am a happy camper to be the weight of my youth and along the way 16:8 or its mates has played a part in helping me get to here. I will also be looking at 16:8 for maintenance I love it so much
As I'm starting 16:8 tomorrow I decided I would stop eating at 7pm tonight. Mmmm, there is a big bag of fancy crisps in the kitchen which almost got opened half an hour ago. Mindless eating?
Hi everyone, just had a lovely evening at the pub, night, night,

And the good thing is on16:8 you can enjoy yourself at the pub :smile:
I certainly did.......and tomorrow I will continue my successful daily fasting routine even though i am obviously wasting my time....sigh, hey ho!

Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 50 Next
748 posts Page 2 of 50