The FastDay Forum

Fasting Windows

10 posts Page 1 of 1
16:8 start-up question
14 Jan 2014, 17:00
Hi all!
Spent some time reading threads about 16:8 and am intrigued. Didn't want to bump an old thread but here is my question -

in my readings about this diet off this forum, I came across the suggestion to not launch straight into 16:8 if one has done a lot of not-so-successful up-and-down dieting, but to rather first do some low carb to stabilise the weight-loss first and then start this up.

Thoughts on this? I've previous done the up-and-down game. I am now happily on low carb since one week, am I ready to add 16:8 to that? Thanks in advance for your answers!
Re: 16:8 start-up question
14 Jan 2014, 17:04
Welcome to the forum!

I don't really understand the reason to not launch straight into 16:8. My husband and I added 16:8 to our 5:2 regimen without any low carbing in between.

I can't predict what sort of apocalypse would have to happen to get me to stick to a low carb diet for more than an hour. I suspect it involves zombies and the destruction of every last grain of wheat on the planet.

Good luck :-)
14 Jan 2014, 17:07
I think it depends on how 'low carb' you go - some versions of it I think I'd rather cut my ears off because I can't imagine living with any joy on less than 30g a day like some people do; that just seems like torture to me - but I can do quite happily on 60g or so - I seem to eat lots of food and don't feel 'deprived'. I do find it harder when on holiday though.
14 Jan 2014, 17:44
I suppose it is to do with keeping hunger pangs at bay. I have and still do, frequently combine both and find it easier to do if my carbs are on the low side, but I don't need to go very low carb.
14 Jan 2014, 17:49
Some folk bypass 5:2 completely and launch straight into some form of 16/8 it is all such an individual thing, experiment and find what works best for you, and good luck. The 16/8 thread link is included in my signature.

Ballerina x :heart:
14 Jan 2014, 18:29
I asked a similar-ish question the other day...if I hadn't done 5:2 for so long before changing to 16:8 would I have lost weight so successfully on 16:8? We don't know the answer, but I think that the best way to do things is to start 16:8 (no low carbing necessary) and if you don't see weight loss after a couple of weeks or if you think you're over eating in your 8 hour eating window, try shortening your window by an hour. You can do this repeatedly until you find the balance that suits you. I often fast for more than 16 hours because that's just how things worked out that day. I do try to keep carbs down anyway as I think one of the main drivers of the obesity epidemic is the high carb intake in the general population. I also try to have one or two days a week where I avoid all obvious carbs (sugars and starches).

I suggest you just start and excitement with different ways of fasting until you find what works best for you.

Good luck...
16 Jun 2014, 16:56
Hi, I've been off the boards for about 3 months. I am returning, this time doing 16:8. Where is the 16:8 thread? Help! Thanks to anyone for pointing me in the right direction.
16 Jun 2014, 17:04
@Marigolds53 I think you want the Eating Window Tent on the Fastonbury Glamping Grounds. Sorry I can't do a link, don't know how on the tablet.
16 Jun 2014, 17:11
@marigolds53.. If you look up this page,about two answers away,you will see Ballerina's contribution and the link you need is at the end of her reply,in her signature x
16 Jun 2014, 18:16
Candice, thanks, but I'm also looking for the 16:8 tent. I read about Ballerina's journey to 16:8, and it is awesome. Barbarita, I will look for the eating window tent.

Thank you for your replies!
10 posts Page 1 of 1