The FastDay Forum

Fasting Windows

56 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: Going to try 16:8
01 Feb 2016, 01:08
Well, I tried 16:8 for one day and after that I realised that I couldn't possibly give up on breakfast on a permanent basis. I just like it too much. Which is odd because when I was young, I didn't like breakfast and found it hard to find food I liked to eat for breakfast. But now the thought of breakfast gets me out of bed! So I just stopped doing everything, until last night i came home from being out and felt really stuffed! I can't wait to fast again, was my feeling! So here it is, and I'm fasting on a Monday!
01 Feb 2016, 11:34
Well, Sallyo, you gave it a try. You could of course adjust your window to include breakfast and lunch and not dinner or a late breakfast and early dinner. But, if you enjoy fasting 2 days, then that's what works for you!!

The scale is back up a little today from Saturday. I did eat more than I had been, yesterday. Also, I did a lot of walking and a little running yesterday, so it could be some water retention. I'm having my cup of tea and will check again!

I've been doing the Libra app, which I kinda like for the data, but of course it's disappointing when you are down so much one day and then back up a bit the next. I'm not sure if I'd rather just wait and see my total for the week.

It's only been one week though and I still feel this WOE will work for me. I'll be doing a semi-fast today (700-800 calories), so I'm sure the scale will be back down tomorrow!
01 Feb 2016, 12:13
Fabulous @cblasz.I'll watch your progress with interest.
01 Feb 2016, 21:57
I grew up in a town called Chingola in Zambia, hence the name. Although recently I`ve thought that the chin go part is certainly applicable to me! Finished my eating window, and feeling nice and full. Thanks.
I see you live in Nevada. I spent 2 years in my youth in Davis, California, and managed to get my only speeding ticket in Nevada!
04 Feb 2016, 20:33
Thanks guys. Still hanging in there with the 16.8. Think its easier in the winter as I just go to bed early, out of the way of the food.
Regarding my username, it is the name of the town I grew up in, in Zambia.
05 Feb 2016, 10:25
It's going well for me too. We have a snow day today (yay!) but that will make it harder to wait until 12 to eat. But I can do it!!
08 Feb 2016, 12:39
Well, this weekend I didn't stick with my eating windows. I didn't eat really badly, but I did not keep within my window and as a result I'm up a little bit. According to my trend weight, I'm down a little overall, which is good. I realize now that no matter what I have to stick to that window. Even if I'm going to go a bit over my calories in that window, I still need to stick to the window. Let's see how this week goes!
14 Feb 2016, 14:36
Well, I'm down about 2 lbs. since I started doing 16:8. I really do like it. I do really well on days that I work, but it's a little harder when I don't work, so I need to work on that a bit. Tomorrow I'm going skiing with friends, so I will probably eat in the morning, but then I'll get back on track on Tues. I hope to do even better this month!
14 Feb 2016, 14:58
I am wondering how many of you watch what you eat during your eating window, or is it really ok to eat up to your TDEE? I'm afraid if I am only doing 16:8 that I will just maintain if I don't watch my calories too. I am trying to do a modified fast one day a week, where I still can start eating at 12, but try to keep my calories to around 700. And then on weekends, I kinda splurge. Will I still lose weight that way?
14 Feb 2016, 21:30
cblasz wrote: ... eating window ... TDEE?

I'm fresh out of corks... :-)

Watching TDEE (calorie counting) creates a mental fence that you refuse to cross over.

You can accomplish the same thing with less effort by avoiding certain foods that can trigger hunger and weight gain. This only requires a brief moment of awareness at the point of making a choice.

The alternative considerations are:

1. If you refuse to partake, you can celebrate an immediate victory as you simultaneously build willpower, weaken an old habit, and are assured that you remain on the shortest path to your much-desired future. By making a conscious choice - as opposed to our usual unthinking ones - there are no regrets or negative thoughts to haunt you later.

2. We are adults, soooo we might still choose the item but decide to either take much less of it and slowly savor it, or choose something else nearly-as-enticing (and possibly new) that better fits our goals. This victory avoids those feelings of regret. Eating less does delay arriving at our goal, but it also releases the stress of a serious cumulative consequence - a sense of deprivation that is the fatal blow to every weight loss method.

Remain aware, pick your battles, learn when to deflect rather than directly oppose, stick with the plan.
15 Feb 2016, 06:59
Remain aware, pick your battles, learn when to deflect rather than directly oppose, stick with the plan.

That's so wise!
17 Feb 2016, 06:16
ADFnFuel wrote:
cblasz wrote: ... eating window ... TDEE?

I'm fresh out of corks... :-)

Watching TDEE (calorie counting) creates a mental fence that you refuse to cross over.

You can accomplish the same thing with less effort by avoiding certain foods that can trigger hunger and weight gain. This only requires a brief moment of awareness at the point of making a choice.

The alternative considerations are:

1. If you refuse to partake, you can celebrate an immediate victory as you simultaneously build willpower, weaken an old habit, and are assured that you remain on the shortest path to your much-desired future. By making a conscious choice - as opposed to our usual unthinking ones - there are no regrets or negative thoughts to haunt you later.

2. We are adults, soooo we might still choose the item but decide to either take much less of it and slowly savor it, or choose something else nearly-as-enticing (and possibly new) that better fits our goals. This victory avoids those feelings of regret. Eating less does delay arriving at our goal, but it also releases the stress of a serious cumulative consequence - a sense of deprivation that is the fatal blow to every weight loss method.

I'm sorry, I don't actually understand what you are saying! I am just wondering if eating less than my TDEE is a good idea or not, or just not necessary. I tend to restrict myself more during the week and not on weekends. And I don't really mind the calorie counting, because I feel that it's still a decent amount of calories in the 8 hours. My TDEE is around 1700 and I try to stick to around 1200 during the week.
17 Feb 2016, 09:28
I think @ADFnFuel is saying that instead of counting calories - which can lead to a sense of deprivation, you could avoid certain foods. This might be carbs, sugary foods, cakes, alcohol ...for example. But sometimes you might choose to eat that food in a limited way. So if you are presented with the food you are choosing not to eat, and you stay strong in your resolve, you get a buzz from the feeling of being in control. Then again, you may decide that this time you will eat that food. The point is, you make a conscious choice, rather than just mindlessly eating something that you have decided isn't helpful to your goal. So, ADFnFuel is presenting that as an alternative to calorie counting. I have done this to some extent with some foods that I don't really like and that I used to eat just because they were there. Milk chocolate, for instance. I started developing an awareness of foods that are bad for me and which I can easily give up. And gave them up. So now, when I eat foods that are 'bad' for me, I am doing so from a conscious choice, because I REALLY like them and I'm not willing to go without them - except of Fast Days. It is different doing 16:8 I imagine. You have to set different guide lines.
17 Feb 2016, 11:34
Thank you Sallyo. I don't actually feel deprived counting calories, since it still seems like a lot to me, compared to Weight Watchers. And I do try to eat healthy foods during that time and am trying to cut back on sugary foods. But, in doing some reading, I'm just not sure if I will lose less weight by restricting my calories and would do better if I was very strict with the eating window, but ate more calories during it. I guess I will just have to experiment. I was just wondering what others found.
17 Feb 2016, 15:02
Can't tell you because I do not count calories and have a much shorter eating window - usually 3 hours these days. I guess the only way to find out is to step out into the unknown - stop counting, eat for no more than 8 hours and eat only when hungry, stop when full. The fact that you already eat healthy will help.
56 posts Page 2 of 4