The FastDay Forum

Fasting Windows

56 posts Page 4 of 4
Re: Going to try 16:8
14 Mar 2016, 15:38
Azureblue wrote: Frustrating isn't it *hugs*. What's your TDEE honey? I'm wondering if you're under eating at 1200 cals for 5 days in 7, encouraging your body to store up everything it gets against starvation?

Thank you for your support!! My TDEE is 1400 (and that's with it set to light activity.) So, I figure if I eat 1200 during the week, then it gives me the extra calories for the weekend. And since I'm not eating breakfast, it really is plenty of food.
15 Mar 2016, 08:08
Ok, may I suggest you eat to TDEE for the next 21 days straight whilst 16:8 and keep your daily carbs to no more than 100g. I'm afraid this means recording everything in every day but at least you'll get a proper feel for it. Review your weight in 3 weeks, hope there's progress.
15 Mar 2016, 09:55
Azureblue wrote: Ok, may I suggest you eat to TDEE for the next 21 days straight whilst 16:8 and keep your daily carbs to no more than 100g. I'm afraid this means recording everything in every day but at least you'll get a proper feel for it. Review your weight in 3 weeks, hope there's progress.

Thank you. I will consider this, but honestly I'm not sure I can do it. I might as well go back to WW if I'm going to do that. The whole point of this WOE is being able to eat what you want sometimes and not having to track so much. I do actually track a lot on MFP, but not usually on the weekend. I am working at lowering my carbs a bit and watching that on MFP.
15 Mar 2016, 11:09
I found this useful from marksdailyapple.com

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.
Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-prim ... z42y7lNoCT
16 Mar 2016, 16:16
Personally I am dead against calorie counting. TDEE is just a number from a calculator that is unlikely to be right for you personally and is only right for the average person...do you know if your metabolism is average? Also calorie counts are incredibly unreliable and so you may think you're eating 1200 calories but it could easily be 1450 or 960 even if you weigh everything meticulously. Carbs are the key for most people for the reasons given in Azureblue's post of the info from Mark's Daily Apple. Many people are very reluctant to cut carbs (or cut them more) because, to be honest carbs are delicious (and for many addictive). If you have cut carbs to under 100g per day (the easiest way to do this is to avoid all starchy foods, foods with added sugar and the higher sugar fruits) and have increased your fat consumption (no need to count carbs really) and you are still not losing weight, you need to look at causes of insulin resistance beyond the carbs you're eating. Most common problem is cortisol due to stress, poor sleep, too much exercise, too much fasting etc. Cortisol stops weight loss dead.
This article by Dr Jason Fung explains why the answer to why you're not losing weight can be different for different people: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/ ... t-htlw-12/

I remember one FastDay member found that she was intolerant to dairy and as soon as she cut it out she lost weight, so another thing to ask is whether you have an intolerance to any particular food and to try eliminating one thing for a month and then reintroducing it to see if it makes a difference. Wheat and dairy are the most common culprits, but if you go lower carb you will be eliminating wheat for the most part anyway so I'd start there.

It is very frustrating and for some people involves a lot of detective work to try to work out what is going on.

Good luck with your experimentation!
18 Mar 2016, 11:18
Thanks everyone for all of your support and advice. At this point, I've decided to just keep doing what I'm doing, but keep trying to increase my water and continue to try to swap healthier foods in for less healthy ones. (for example, I'm going to start having grapefruit for dessert!) I'll also try to reduce my carbs where possible. I'm training for a 5K, so my activity will keep increasing as well!

I have learned that weighing every day is not for me. It just stresses me out too much. So, I didn't weigh myself all week, but decided to peek today as I felt like I'd been doing really good, and I was thrilled to see that I'm down a pound since Monday!!! And it's the lowest I've been since I've started 16:8. So, hopefully things are finally kicking in. Of course, my real weigh-in day is Monday, so I will try to be careful not to ruin it over the weekend!
19 Mar 2016, 08:25
I have been sticking to my 18h window religeously until last night watching The Last Leg on C4. The news that IDS has resigned in response to proposed Cuts to PIP benefit made me so happy that in a momentof weakness I reached for the white wine. Still I only had a glass, and today is another day. Only 2.5h until breakfast!
19 Mar 2016, 15:21
Sounds like you are doing great @chingola! How are your results?
20 Mar 2016, 07:29
Thanks for that. Check out my progress tracker. I'm doing just as well as I did on 5.2, before I fell off the wagon big time.
21 Mar 2016, 12:11
Well I managed to keep the pound off and lose one more!! It's the lowest I've been all year. I really hope it means things have shifted and it will keep up, if I keep doing what I'm doing! I'll be very happy with 1 lb. a week!
28 Apr 2016, 07:12
I am very pleased because I am practically back to the weight I was before I fell off the wagon bigtime in 2013. All this house hunting helps as it is a good distraction. Made an offer on a house yesterday so just waiting to see if it is accepted. They saya bit of stress is good for weight loss. Onwards and downwards trend will hopefully continue.
56 posts Page 4 of 4