The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1436 posts Page 5 of 96
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 96 Next
This is my Amazon review:
Absolutely livid! I have CBB's excellent Low-Carb Vegetarian book from 2004, and several other of her tomes. Her recipes can be inspiring.

But I'm furious about this - I have been drooling in anticipation since the book was announced back in October?/November last year and it turns out to simply be a hardback copy of the earlier book (there are a couple of extra pictures, but nothing more, as far as I can see).

The publishers should be ashamed of themselves (are you listening Anova books).

So, in spite of the wonderful recipes in this book - which kept me on a low-carb veggie diet after the hair-shirted penances in Rose Elliot's offering - I'm giving it a one star instead of the five it deserves UNTIL THE PUBLISHER MAKES IT ABSOLUTELY CLEAR IN THE DESCRIPTION THAT THIS IS THE SAME AS THE 2004 BOOK. And, if you're reading this CBB: sorry - persuade your publishers to change the description and you'll get your well deserved 5 stars.


I just received my copy this morning - haven't even had my coffee, or read the threads yet: simply had to get that review in a.s.a.p. so others with the 2004 edition aren't equally disappointed. xxx FatDog (now off for coffee and a peruse of the threads)

On the other hand, if you were wanting copy of the book, this is a darn sight cheaper than the £530.05 (new) or £27.94 the 2004 edition is listing for!!!
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
06 Jan 2014, 14:58
Oh No FatDog! what a rip off! The publishers certainly shouldn't be allowed to get away with re-issuing the same book under a different title. You must be hopping mad!
... the definitive guide to what WILL make you FAT!!!

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... leA1_1.pdf

58 pages (4.5Mb) of entertainment and surprises - you wanted to know that that pound cake from 'Bimbo' in Mexico had 25g of carb in a serving, didn't you? :)

It has the carb grams per serving in the second right-most column, but it's well worth noting the Glycemic Load figure as that indicates how much the food is likely to spike your insulin. No other macronutrient information is given so, sadly, you'll need to cross reference to elsewhere for protein etc.

I'd suggest the USDA food reference database (pretty much everything refers to this) http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list. A word of warning to non-USians - the carbs figure includes fibre, so knock the latter off for (what Atkins calls) 'net carbs', i.e. the ones you need to count.

It is probably the most definitive (and possibly the most reliable) list that's out there. The Atkins one is pretty huge too, but I've lost my link to it...

Happy low-carbing xxx FatDog
FatDog wrote: This is my Amazon review:
Absolutely livid! I have CBB's excellent Low-Carb Vegetarian book from 2004, and several other of her tomes. Her recipes can be inspiring.

But I'm furious about this - I have been drooling in anticipation since the book was announced back in October?/November last year and it turns out to simply be a hardback copy of the earlier book (there are a couple of extra pictures, but nothing more, as far as I can see).

The publishers should be ashamed of themselves (are you listening Anova books).

So, in spite of the wonderful recipes in this book - which kept me on a low-carb veggie diet after the hair-shirted penances in Rose Elliot's offering - I'm giving it a one star instead of the five it deserves UNTIL THE PUBLISHER MAKES IT ABSOLUTELY CLEAR IN THE DESCRIPTION THAT THIS IS THE SAME AS THE 2004 BOOK. And, if you're reading this CBB: sorry - persuade your publishers to change the description and you'll get your well deserved 5 stars.


I just received my copy this morning - haven't even had my coffee, or read the threads yet: simply had to get that review in a.s.a.p. so others with the 2004 edition aren't equally disappointed. xxx FatDog (now off for coffee and a peruse of the threads)

On the other hand, if you were wanting copy of the book, this is a darn sight cheaper than the £530.05 (new) or £27.94 the 2004 edition is listing for!!!



That is a shocker. They should be completely ashamed of themselves. Assume you have returned it?
rawkaren wrote: That is a shocker. They should be completely ashamed of themselves. Assume you have returned it?


Oh dear, this is where my extreme bookaholism is cruelly exposed... I'm swithering and dithering as to whether to keep the hard-back, as the extra pictures are really delicious food porn (it's made me double take at a recipe I'd not really had on my to-do list before), and to find a good home for the earlier edition. *But* the earlier (paperback) edition a) stays open on the page, b) has bigger print - so much easier to read when cooking, and c) has faithfully seen me through eight months of low-carbing (not sure how it's not covered in flour), *and* d) if I return the hard-back that would put £10.34 back into my cook-book allowance, wouldn't it? :)

I think the last might have nailed it - I've still four quid from my frying-pan Christmas present "exchange" and that makes it pretty close to enough for a copy of Plenty (I had to return the library copy today).

Hmm. FatDog chases tail round living-room in complete indecision.
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
06 Jan 2014, 16:55
If you want, @Fatdog I'll buy it off you. DM me if you fancy that option x
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
06 Jan 2014, 17:23
I've just read my way through this interesting thread & would like to join in please!
Since I started 16:8ing & not having cereals for breakfast I guess that my carb intake is much reduced & I only eat high fibre bread when I do have it. But I realise that I am an ignoramus about what carb quantities are allowed to be eaten so thank you for the informative posts. I don't have sugar but do eat apples, pears & bananas perhaps two a day & I usually eat a veggie & chicken type based soup with one slice of bread for lunch. I have coffee with a little semi skimmed Goats milk 3 or 4 cups a day & occasional basmati rice or pasta with a veg/bean tomato based sauce. Also lots of fish but I am really not sure if the carbs I am already eating are too many? I would really like to get my extra weight moving off more quickly so I am also going to start 4:3ing which will further reduce my weekly carb intake. I assume that puddings & wine that have sugar in them are also a nono? I do enjoy a glass of wine at the weekend :wink:
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
06 Jan 2014, 17:41
My goodness this will soon be a very large Orangery I do hope I can still get in. Perhaps if you all loose a few lbs .. oh of course that's the general idea. My main carb fix is breakfast on a non fasting day, lunch on a fasting day a bowl of porridge made with unsweetend almond milk approx 45gm carb. I was also eating rivita and oat cakes but could give them up reasonably easily. My main problem would be not eating much fruit -any one got any ideas for substitutes? :?:
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
06 Jan 2014, 17:44
I've currently ducked out of the Low Carbers Tent as I'm on a quest to get back to my maintenance weight so I have reverted to the way I know how and that's by low-cal, low-ish carb and CC. So no "white carbs" at all, but I will allow myself lentils and fruit and the occasional small wholemeal roll with some home-made soup. I only went LCHF in autumn when the carb-cravings hit me bad but I never felt comfortable with how many calories I was consuming, despite the very low carbs, so to shift this post-Crimbo weight, I've reverted to the familiar and a way which works for me. When I resume maintenance (which I hope will be by Valentine's day or before) then I may review things and try the LCHF because I certainly know that works for me in maintenance.
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
06 Jan 2014, 17:45
I love my fruit too @garnet25 but have started laying off the ones like mangoes, bananas and dried fruit which are higher in sugars and treating myself to more of the berry fruits which aren't too bad.
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
06 Jan 2014, 17:45
A question regarding Low Carb and 5-2. How well do they work together.

As a side question, I have seen a quote or two saying make sure you eat plenty on your non fasting days. Can someone explain this to me
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
06 Jan 2014, 17:56
Isis wrote: I've just read my way through this interesting thread & would like to join in please!
Since I started 16:8ing & not having cereals for breakfast I guess that my carb intake is much reduced & I only eat high fibre bread when I do have it. But I realise that I am an ignoramus about what carb quantities are allowed to be eaten so thank you for the informative posts. I don't have sugar but do eat apples, pears & bananas perhaps two a day & I usually eat a veggie & chicken type based soup with one slice of bread for lunch. I have coffee with a little semi skimmed Goats milk 3 or 4 cups a day & occasional basmati rice or pasta with a veg/bean tomato based sauce. Also lots of fish but I am really not sure if the carbs I am already eating are too many? I would really like to get my extra weight moving off more quickly so I am also going to start 4:3ing which will further reduce my weekly carb intake. I assume that puddings & wine that have sugar in them are also a nono? I do enjoy a glass of wine at the weekend :wink:


Hi Isis. Your diet sounds very healthy and if its working for you, then stick with it. If you were curious though you could track what you ate for a few days on something like myfitnesspal so you can get an idea of how many grams of carbs you are actually eating.
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
06 Jan 2014, 18:01
gb1 wrote: A question regarding Low Carb and 5-2. How well do they work together.

As a side question, I have seen a quote or two saying make sure you eat plenty on your non fasting days. Can someone explain this to me


@gb1 the reason why you often see fasters talk about low carbing too is because low carb tends to keep the sugar monster at bay. Once you cut your carbs back, your cravings subside and you don't feel as hungry. This makes fasting much easier. You don't have to go very low carb to get this effect. I gave up sugar last summer (which is extraordinarily difficult to do because its in just about everything), but my carb intake is probably more like moderate to low.

You use the rest of your calories on fat (many here are high fat low carb), or you can increase protein if you prefer which is more Atkins style. However Michael Mosley is an advocate of keeping protein moderate to keep IGF-1 levels down (see FAQ's for more). That's why many of us here enjoy liberal quantities of butter, cream, coconut oil and other good fats.
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
06 Jan 2014, 18:18
rawkaren wrote:
gb1 wrote: A question regarding Low Carb and 5-2. How well do they work together.

As a side question, I have seen a quote or two saying make sure you eat plenty on your non fasting days. Can someone explain this to me


@gb1 the reason why you often see fasters talk about low carbing too is because low carb tends to keep the sugar monster at bay. Once you cut your carbs back, your cravings subside and you don't feel as hungry. This makes fasting much easier. You don't have to go very low carb to get this effect. I gave up sugar last summer (which is extraordinarily difficult to do because its in just about everything), but my carb intake is probably more like moderate to low.

You use the rest of your calories on fat (many here are high fat low carb), or you can increase protein if you prefer which is more Atkins style. However Michael Mosley is an advocate of keeping protein moderate to keep IGF-1 levels down (see FAQ's for more). That's why many of us here enjoy liberal quantities of butter, cream, coconut oil and other good fats.


Thanks (again) for replying :wink: I feel the combination of Low Carb and 5-2 will suit me very well. I really don't eat a lot of carbs, occasionally I will eat garlic bread (love the stuff). But I hardly ever eat Potatoes, Pasta or Rice.
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
06 Jan 2014, 19:50
* stands back in amazement*.....
25 grams carbo in a smallish apple! Flippin hells bells! :shock:
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 96 Next
1436 posts Page 5 of 96
Similar Topics

START THE 5:2 DIET WITH HELP FROM FASTDAY

Be healthier. Lose weight. Eat the foods you love, most of the time.

Learn about the 5:2 diet

LEARN ABOUT FASTING
We've got loads of info about intermittent fasting, written in a way which is easy to understand. Whether you're wondering about side effects or why the scales aren't budging, we've got all you need to know.

Your intermittent fasting questions answered ASK QUESTIONS & GET SUPPORT
Come along to the FastDay Forum, we're a friendly bunch and happy to answer your fasting questions and offer support. Why not join in one of our regular challenges to help you towards your goal weight?

Use our free 5:2 diet tracker FREE 5:2 DIET PROGRESS TRACKER & BLOG
Tracking your diet progress is great for staying motivated. Chart your measurements and keep tabs on your daily calorie needs. You can even create a free blog to journal your 5:2 experience!

cron