Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1436 posts Page 8 of 96
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 96 Next
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
07 Jan 2014, 11:47
97g is absolutely fine :like:
07 Jan 2014, 11:49
Minumonline wrote: "Its gone very well for me since new year : I started with a fast, followed by 3 days of under 50g carb per day, then a liquid fast. I've lost a good chunk, and I'm not missing anything
Very grateful for this thread, thanks.
"

I was considering doing something similar and now that I've read your post I am definitely going for it. I did a 36 hour liquid fast yesterday and was trying to keep today's carbs under 20 and wondered if I could sustain this til Friday. If you can do it, SO CAN I! Thanks for the inspiration, perhaps we should buddy up for this one as I will find it hard.............I think! Good luck,

Belly dancer x :heart:
07 Jan 2014, 11:50
Is that ok? 1100 cals and 97 g carbs? Thanks K i was wobbling there...xx youve reassured me.
Its gotta be better than unmindful stuffing of face hasnt it! :0)
07 Jan 2014, 11:50
CM, I wouldn't worry about your carbs for now as you are still losing consistently with what you are eating at present. Maybe when you are nearly at target or the dreaded plateau rears its ugly head and your loss starts slowing down will be the time to cut back on carbs and give your metabolism that extra kick it needs? x
07 Jan 2014, 11:53
Thanks cally..yeh i need to keep a sense of proportion don't i..
You and K have stopped me from spiralling off into a big old panic!
Will watch the carb but maybe keep cold turkey up my sleeve for the dreaded plateau phase! X
07 Jan 2014, 11:55
chriso57 wrote: For those of you starting this woe I found Zoe Harcombe free ebook 20 diet myths busted easy reading and informative.It started me on my weight loss journey.
All I want to add to the good advice already given is Don't be afraid of eating natural fat,I am going into my third year of low sugar woe. 5 stone lighter and good blood results, check out my diary page if you want to see that eating Sat fat is not harming me. :smile: Good luck to you all.
Chris x

Thanks for that Chris! I have downloaded it and whilst I didn't learn anything I didn't already know, thanks to all the fabulous links on this site, I still enjoyed reading it and it has reinforced my belief that I should give low carb a serious shot and see what it does for me. I have been going lower and lower over the last 18 months and am thrilled with the weight loss but I think I need another push to try and get rid of my 'Apple' fat.

07 Jan 2014, 12:00
CandiceMarie wrote: This year my body is gonna be a temple :confused:
Well it looks like a temple anyways..rather big.. :wink:

A temple sounds rather lovely unlike the ancient ruin which I call a body :shock: :grin:

07 Jan 2014, 12:04
callyanna wrote: CM, I wouldn't worry about your carbs for now as you are still losing consistently with what you are eating at present. Maybe when you are nearly at target or the dreaded plateau rears its ugly head and your loss starts slowing down will be the time to cut back on carbs and give your metabolism that extra kick it needs? x

I agree. If it works for you then carry on. Here are some definitions
Low-carb ketogenic diet (LCKD): less than 50g carbs and 10% calories daily
Low-carb diet (LCD): 50-130g carbs daily and between 10-26% of calories
Moderate-carb diet (MCD): 130-225g carbs daily and between 26-45% of calories

Also - don't go too low on those calories. Chow down on some cheese woman! It's more important that fast days are 25% of your normal intake.
07 Jan 2014, 12:50
Ballerina wrote:
Minumonline wrote: "Its gone very well for me since new year : I started with a fast, followed by 3 days of under 50g carb per day, then a liquid fast. I've lost a good chunk, and I'm not missing anything
Very grateful for this thread, thanks.
"

I was considering doing something similar and now that I've read your post I am definitely going for it. I did a 36 hour liquid fast yesterday and was trying to keep today's carbs under 20 and wondered if I could sustain this til Friday. If you can do it, SO CAN I! Thanks for the inspiration, perhaps we should buddy up for this one as I will find it hard.............I think! Good luck,

Would love to buddy up - especially to share yummy food ideas, and wiles to cope with eating out. Just done jolly well in staff canteen, harissa chicken breast with mixed dressed salad (vinegarette and mayo) Yum.

One day I'll put up a pic of when I belly danced at my birthday party - before the ravages of two bouncing boys :grin:
07 Jan 2014, 13:27
I'd like to join please

I looked over MFP and my food is made up of upto 40% carbs, still even though I avoid eating breads, pasta, rice etc. It was quite a surprise to see my average carb intake is about 150 grams.

So I'm not quite sure how to do this a for example, on my fast days (I do a juice fast), I use apples, carrots, tomatoes , radish, kale, spinach, celery ... all of these have huge amounts of carbs; even half a cucumber is showing as 3g, a lemon 5g, a cup of kale 7g.

I know greens are good for you, I could cut down the amount of apple and carrot and increase the cucumber/kale etc but its still going to add up

I need to re-think this and keep a closer eye on it
07 Jan 2014, 13:44
Thanks @rawkaren for the definitions..theyre very helpful
I cant chow on cheese tho coz most of it gives me bad headaches
Off to Silver Screen cinema this avvo to see Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Us silverscreeners ( over 60s) get cheapo tickets and free cuppa and two biccies..they have been carefully factored into the days calorie count ..really looking forward to freebies and film!
Tho it means braving the elements! X
07 Jan 2014, 15:03
Minumonline wrote: Just done jolly well in staff canteen, harissa chicken breast with mixed dressed salad (vinegarette and mayo) Yum.

One day I'll put up a pic of when I belly danced at my birthday party - before the ravages of two bouncing boys :grin:

The chicken sounds nice. Hubs did chicken breast, chopped and cooked in lemon with a variety of vegs, unfortunately some rather high carb but at least not a lot of them so I don't think it was too bad, hoping it came in at under 25. I am planning to have some scrambled eggs with grated cheese on top later followed by half a tin ( I know, I know, tinned is not so good ) of fruit salad with the juice drained off and some double cream with a little bit of vanilla bean paste stirred in to make it seem that bit more luxurious. The fruit comes in at 15 and with the traces in the eggs, cheese and cream I am hoping to not bust the 50 mark. Hope I got all that right or Rawkaren will be on my case, and I might be drummed out of the brownies ( aren't they high carb? ) ooh er missus! Hope you have a good day,

07 Jan 2014, 15:10
Thanks for your reply @izzy was just beating myself up because I had avoided all the sweets/biscuits and cake at work only to have my husband suggest that we go out for coffee and cake this afternoon. He's been stuck indoors feeling ill and bored and he never suggests this so I'm going to go and enjoy it :grin:
07 Jan 2014, 15:47
@izzy Agree completely (she says whilst munching a slice of sourdough at 26g) Get me :lol:
07 Jan 2014, 15:55
izzy wrote: @Jeninboston , hi. This is entirely my own opinion, but unless you feel it necessary to eat much lower carb - eg if you are insulin resistant, have loads of stubborn abdominal fat etc, then I would say you are doing fine. By some standards, 150 gm per day isn't high at all, and if you are avoiding the usual suspects like bread, pasta, etc, then I take it most of your carbs are coming from vegetables? Or do you have a very sweet tooth? :shock: :shock:

I think it's easy to be swept along on the low carb tide, going very low, hating it, or getting confused by the numbers, then thinking **** it, this is too hard, and then giving up completely.

For some of us, eating very low carb has become a necessity, but that isn't the case for everyone, especially if you are a healthy weight, and you are fairly active in everyday life. I was a classic pear shape, had a very skinny waist, was quite active, I ate a reasonable diet, and I never had to worry about weight gain. Circumstances changed that, but that's the only reason I ended up going low carb ( and going vegetarian at the same time made that tricky, so a nod to FatDog for her amazing blog) :wink:

I can see why people get confused. Different views and opinions. People have their favourite authors and blogs, and there will be differences between them all. But as with most everything else, what suits one person will not suit another. It's been said already, but making small changes can have huge benefits. If your situation dictates that you should reconsider, and reduce carbs even further, then do so.

Sorry for the long waffle. The last thing anyone needs is extra stress. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thanks for the detailed reply ... not waffle whatsoever ...I think I'm doing ok. I'm not insulin resistant and don't have abdominal fat (count me in on the pear shape!). The carbs are predominantly coming from fruit and veg ... so sounds like I'm doing ok.

I should stick to the old saying, if its not broke, don't fix it :grin: :grin:
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 96 Next
1436 posts Page 8 of 96