The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

37 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Confessions Tent
17 Nov 2014, 14:48
Candice, I definitely second Sassy1. When you make a conscious decision not to fast for a period then you don't feel a failure resulting in giving up. This way you are making a positive decision.

I have been fasting since August 2012 doing 4:3 to to reach goal weight and stopped twice during the winter only to start again the following summer This has now become a groundhog day scenario and this year I want to avoid this. What I should have done was to find a way I could keep going rather than stop completely or as Sassy1 suggested make a conscious decision to stop for x amount of time.

I am maintaining right now and have gone from 3 to 2 fast days recently, however I am preparing myself for the possibility that the cold January weather could change my motivation and hope that I can find some way of fasting albeit at an easier rate.

I hope you can work out a system for yourself - only you know what works for you. Good luck, fingers crossed. Come and visit us at Buddies set 19, where we also sometimes struggle. :clover:
17 Nov 2014, 15:25
@Sassy1 thank you for your suggestion, actually, I was thinking this morn that I should maybe take a break for a week but I felt like it is so soon into my fasting to already be doing that.
As it turned out I was really, really busy ALL day with clients and managed to do my fast had some homemade beef, cabbage and carrot soup and coffee. So will try to be mindful tomorrow.
17 Nov 2014, 15:41
Well @Wildmissus - we all do that, or we wouldn't be on this forum to lose weight!

@CandiceMarie- I've certainly gone thought overeating patches. The book that's helped me most is one some friendly Aussies recommended on this forum - Dr. Amanda Sainsbury-Salis "Don't Go Hungry" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Hungry-Lif ... bury-salis

I hope it helps :-)

As for my confessions, I seem to be going into full pre-hibernation mode and eating whatever isn't nailed down. I'm actually up three pounds this morning :bugeyes: but my bodyfat is also down, so I suspect that may be water weight as I didn't eat an extra 10,000 calories yesterday. I did have a big bowl of pasta, and I did oversalt the water - but oh it was really good!

Confession #2 - we've had dessert every night since Bruce's birthday on the 5th. That has got to stop. But to be honest, historically we eat way too many desserts November and December. So we may let it slide and do our annual "recommit to weight loss" in January.
17 Nov 2014, 15:51
oooops - confession #3 - we've been drinking more! We usually drink together maybe once a week. But we're planning a vacation to Scotland which we're super excited about. Then two different girlfriends found out we were going to visit Scotland and pretty much insisted that we read Outlander - which we've been really enjoying a lot. And Outlander has been inspiring us to drink an awful lot of Aberlour whisky (Bruce got two bottles of the double-cask for his birthday), although we're still not drinking anywhere near as much as the main characters LOL
18 Nov 2014, 11:44
@I second Tracyknits recommendation of the Don't Go Hungry Diet. This is a fabulous book. It really gave me a solid understanding of the need to eat when you're hungry, how to recognise when you're not hungry and how to stop when you've had enough. It busts the whole diet syndrome of deprivation, binging and guilt. I liked Sassy1's suggestion of having a break, deciding to stop for a period, especially as the winter sets in. The whole question of eating and season is really interesting and I don't think it has been well researched. At least I've never seen anything about it, and yet, it seems so obvious. You get hungry when the weather is cold and salad doesn't cut it. I want golden syrup dumplings. @CandiceMarie, lots of love to you. It sounds really difficult and I hope you can resolve this soon. xxxxx
18 Nov 2014, 12:26
So I had in mind to get back to fasting today, but my tummy yelled as it has for some months now - feed me!! Had my lunch then and then made myself a promise - to get back at fasting next week no matter what the tummy says. I have my first docs appointment after the surgery next week, so I think it will be a fresh start...or should I wait until the Monday the week after? Three months after surgery jubilee?

I don't know why, but my appetite for surgery things are almost nill (even stopped scooping up crunch peanut butter directly from the jar) except for one thing - Swedish gingerbread cookies (pepparkakor) with a bit of Bregott (butter and rapeseed oil blend) in between. 8 cookies can't be bad can it? LOL. Well today I won't have any at all, need to start with baby steps - lunch, Hairy Dieters dinner (think I will make the fried rice from the yellow book) and my glasses of wine :grin: :cool:
18 Nov 2014, 12:48
pepparkakor are so thin, they practically count as air, not cookies ;-)

I'll have to try putting butter in those!
19 Nov 2014, 08:37
CandiceMarie wrote: Hi @tenshi you made me smile with yr " put yrself in someone else's shoes"... This is quite a good trick! Years ago,i worked in an office with a woman who was very dynamic,and whenever me and my friend had a difficult problem,we'd say to each other," what would Anne Jones ( not her real name) do?" And it really did help! X

Glad to bring a smile to your face CandiceMarie :cool:
20 Nov 2014, 09:41
As I went to a catholic school with nuns and everything, the confession process reminds me of something.... :razz:

I don't know what's up with me and tortillas chips these days but I can't eat just a few, I have to eat the whole bag, which is strange as I am a sweet tooth

We drink a bit more these past few weeks, whisky and vodka most of the time, and it has to stop. Once a week is more than enough !

One pre confession as it didn't happen yet but I know it will : The next few days will be a cheese feast. Tonight will be half a pizza (fresh, in a pizzeria), tomorrow night will be my other half, Saturday night will be OH other half of tonight's pizza and Sunday will be a raclette...... I am not even ashamed of myself, it's so good to sin that way :razz: :cool: :grin:
20 Nov 2014, 19:04
Yeh me too @manderley! Catholic convent education,nuns,priests, prayers before every lesson,assembly twice a day with several hymns & many prayers,lots of " examining of consciences" so yup,v familiar with the confession process! :bugeyes: :confused: :shock:
Today's offering ..Chicken and stuffing sandwiches..Was angelically fasting til DD arrived with big bag of sarnies..delicious but very filling..why didn't i stop when my tum told me to? No, kept munching til every crumb had gone..If i dont eat much this evening i guess its a lowish cal day x
20 Nov 2014, 19:27
I'm going to throw something out there for those who are interested. This isn't to invite a debate on the validity of astrology; if you aren't into it, please just ignore.

There is a temporary influence to one's birthchart, called a "transit." These transits can indicate all sorts of issues and moods, including a desire to overindulge (Venus and Jupiter in particular, though the depressive effects of Saturn may also be an issue). I had thought for awhile about offering to write up some of the transits that can throw a monkey wrench (hee hee Chimps!) into our best-laid (fasting) plans. If this seems like something a significant number is interested in, perhaps I can get to that. Note that my favorite astrological website is Astrodienst (yes, it's deutsch, but the English site is wunderbar), where you can create an account and have it do your chart (and store it, and anyone else's too) for free. (Knowing it's a transit helps me because I know it will pass...)
20 Nov 2014, 21:35
Sounds like it could be very interesting @ferretgal x AND useful! X
20 Nov 2014, 21:59
Great idea for a thread! My confession today-
I had a fantastic down day yesterday and saw a 1lb drop on the scale this morning. Had a great up day planned for today, but it quickly went south when I went to my favorite bagel shop for a morning bagel, and they were out of my favorite kind :cry: I got ridiculously emotional and left without buying a different choice hmphh. Then I proceeded to go home and eat over 1,000 calories in cookies and pretzels (the bagel would have been around 400 calories) :oops: So there went half of my calories for the day on food that wasn't really filling and I had to cross off the tacos that I was going to eat for lunch, because I didn't want to go over my calories for today. The whole day has been off, as far as food goes, and I'm very grumpy right now :razz:
21 Nov 2014, 16:34
500g of marzipan between yesterday and today. Totally intentional and it was good.
I can't be trusted...
21 Nov 2014, 16:45
Tiffin.
Visited an Angel Festival at a nearby church, over 70 of the fluttery dears in various guises made by the locals, all very Christmassy and fun.
So far so good.
There was refreshments on offer of course.
God, I LOVE tiffin :shock: :razz: :wink:
Tiffin
Recipe from mumsnet:
If you can't decide whether to make a cake or some biscuits, why not make some tiffin? It's the perfect compromise as tiffin is a cake that's made from biscuits! And even though it's packed with calories, it's great for parties or an occasional treat.

Ingredients & instructions
Put the ingredients below in a bowl or pan and microwave or heat on hob for a couple of mins, until they melt:

100g butter
25g soft brown sugar
3 tbsp cocoa
4 tbsp golden syrup
Then add:

225g crushed digestive biscuits
150g raisins (or other dried fruit)
Mix well.

Next press into a 20cm square greased tin.

Melt 225g milk/plain chocolate, pour on top and smooth over mixture (optional).

Mark into squares and chill in fridge for an hour or so before cutting.
Variations
Use chopped dried fruits such as apricots, glace cherries, cranberries, coconut, nuts etc instead of raisins if preferred. A mixture of a couple of these is particularly nice.
This tiffin recipe is great for using up any leftovers from Christmas or Easter such as plain chocolates, Christmas tree chocolates, biscuits such as biscotti, amaretti, or lebkuchen.

Google+ Netmums food editor: Cathy Ranson
37 posts Page 2 of 3