The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

91 posts Page 3 of 7
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
CandiceMarie wrote: Oh no i can't show my face in here..i am totally useless when it comes to being crafty etc..
The only scratching i do is my head..
Maybe i can just hang round and admire you creative guys..hopefully some of it might rub off on me! XXX :like: :heart: :like:

Not even pork scratching CM? :shock: ....I'll get me coat! :razz: :wink:
Don't let penny hear you Cally! Pork Scratching Man is just one of the many males in her entourage!
Making pork scratchings from scratch is easy, Candice. Just ask a man to do it!!
Juliana.Rivers wrote: I made the almond milk.

1 cup of almonds makes 4 cups of milk. Not including the coconut water and medjool dates, in can be quite an inexpensive healthy drink. Not sure if its ok for fast days. Probably not.

almond-milk.jpg

Gotta try this as its a healthier alternative to cows milk and sounds very efficient; I never thought you could get 4 cups of milk from one cup of almonds!! THANKS
So, how much do you think it cost for the almond milk?
Julieathome wrote: So, how much do you think it cost for the almond milk?

well you can get almonds in bulk around here for not much per kg. I dont remember exactly what i spent but maybe $8.00 for 500g, maybe less.

If i was to make almond milk continuously, i would look for a bulk supplier, like in a middle eastern store or Indian store, and not buy the fancy health food store 200g pack
I go to the cash and carry and get the ground almonds in 2kg bags, but its expensive. As I don't have any issues with dairy milk, I will probably stick to that.
I'm a great believer in making as much from scratch as I (we) can.

We make our own bread, pasta, cakes, pancakes, pikelets, jam, marmalade, wine and beer (stout - from a kit).

Nothing remarkable there, I agree - I've joined this thread to make a plea for 'Making stuff from scratch - with our kids (or grandchildren)'

I make bread with children all the time - it's my job. But, whenever I get the chance, I make bread and cook with my grandchildren.

I have a post on my blog about making bread with children:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/breadmaking-with-kids-original.html

Also on the blog you'll find Alfie, my 8-yr-old grandson kneading bread - he's got a brilliant technique! And Olivia, then 9 making her own pasta!

There's no better way of spending quality time with children! IMO! :)
Does anyone have a gluten free bread receipe for a bread maker? Preferably low GI.
I've also heard I can make yogurt easily by adding some yogurt to milk and it turns to yogurt?
I'm ready to do a but of self sufficiency. Well a little.
X :victory:
@jo05 yogurt is very easy: buy a pot of pain yogurt to start. You'll also need a vacuum flask or a warm place like an airing cupboard.

Heat up about 500ml of full fat milk on the stove top or in the microwave to simmering point. Simmer for 10 mins. Take off the heat and leave to cool, covered, until the pan is just warm to the touch. Meanwhile sterilize the vacuum flask with boiling water. Stir a couple of teaspoons of yogurt into the milk and pour into the vacuum flask. Put top on and leave overnight. Or just put the pan in a warm place. Next morning you'll have yogurt. Pour off the watery whey and transfer yogurt to the fridge. You can strain it if you like (might be a bit grainy) or stir well.

I keep the shop bought pot of yogurt aside to start the next batch but you can use some of the previous batch. I find if you use the previous batch you'll need a new starter eventually because the flavour changes as the balance of microorganisms in the yogurt changes.

I actually prefer kefir and its less bother in some ways but the rest of the family prefers yogurt.
wonderful @carorees, That sounds so easy! I seem to be eating a bit of it lately - I will give it a try !!
Thanks sooo much :) :like: :clover: :smile: :heart:
jeninboston wrote:
Juliana.Rivers wrote: I made the almond milk.

1 cup of almonds makes 4 cups of milk. Not including the coconut water and medjool dates, in can be quite an inexpensive healthy drink. Not sure if its ok for fast days. Probably not.

almond-milk.jpg

Gotta try this as its a healthier alternative to cows milk and sounds very efficient; I never thought you could get 4 cups of milk from one cup of almonds!! THANKS

Me either. Really yummy and my big juh of milk I made on Sunday is still going. I will probably make another tomorrow. Might exclude the coconut water only cause it means i dont have to go and buy a coconut and might get a purer almond taste
Julieathome wrote: I go to the cash and carry and get the ground almonds in 2kg bags, but its expensive. As I don't have any issues with dairy milk, I will probably stick to that.

Im not sure if ground almonds is better than just straight almonds with skin on . Ground is usually more expensive but im thinking of the flavour. Some people like to leave the muslin step out and have the milk with the skin elemnts still in the milk anyway.

Im going to save the skins for things like cakes if i can remember.
Im all inspired! I have ordered forraging recepie books from the library. :grin:
The only thing I make is chainmail. Bags, bras, dresses, jewellery and owls. I'm hooked on owls at the moment.
In terms of cooking, fried eggs and Bombay chicken are my limit. I don't do stuff from scratch. Not enough spoons.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
91 posts Page 3 of 7