The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

229 posts Page 2 of 16
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 Next
I too am abstaining from the booze in October. I used to drink a lot more when I was younger but these days it's a lot less, although the rare occasions we go out with friends I can easily get carried away and end up pretty drunk - my body just cannot handle much booze any more and I get terrible hangovers! It really helps that my husband is not a big drinker - he likes a good real ale or wine but will only ever have one or two on a weekend, so if I have any more I feel like a proper alkie! We also love our single malt whisky - something you can't drink much of unless you want a huge headache and to remortgage the house!

I once thought I did have a bit of a booze problem years ago - I think its fairly common in Britain, alcohol is so normalised and l, like someone else said, you have to actually give an explanation if you aren't drinking.

When I was contemplating doing the sober October I actually felt nervous about doing it which was one reason I knew that I had to, and the other reason is it will be good practice for giving it up for 9 months or so or so which may be something on the cards within the next year or so :oops:

Good luck all, I like carieoates' idea to carry on buying the wine &stock up for Christmas :lol:
Just think of all those headaches you'll no longer get.

Like the sound of the sparkling non-alcoholic wine. Might try that!

Good luck everyone anyway ;)
@greenmonsteryou hit the nail on the head there. I was nervous about doing it, therefore I HAD TO DO IT !
Challenging myself is something I thrive on.
This time last year it was C25K. Tick did that. What's going to be next.
Yeah I'm doing this and it feels like a pretty big deal to me too, I wasn't sure if I could actually go for a month without drinking which like you guys, meant it probably made it more important that I do. I'm not a massive heavy drinker but I will have a fair few at social occasions and at the end of a tough day and also sometimes just as a wind down in the evening.
I gave myself a pass last Saturday though as we went to a neighbours wedding but I had the hangover from hell the next day which has made the prospect of a sober month much more appealing LOL!!
Good luck everyone
image.jpg
MFP cals
image.jpg
Non alcoholic fizz

I've chilled this ready for a glass tonight. And given its low cal content, it's going to be within my fast day cal allowance. Thanks for the tip@Traybelin
I'm very very close to failing this challenge miserably. Had a shocker of a day and all I want is a glass of wine with my dinner. I'm sitting here wondering why I'm doing this to myself. I'm not being sponsored, I can give money to Macmillan. I suppose it scares me that I can't do a month without booze, which is why I started the challenge in the first place. On the other hand maybe I need to give myself a break, I have 3 2 year olds who run rings round me and had some bad news that was the nail on the coffin today. Not sure I'll last the evening I'm afraid x
TripHOPmamma wrote: I'm very very close to failing this challenge miserably. Had a shocker of a day and all I want is a glass of wine with my dinner. I'm sitting here wondering why I'm doing this to myself. I'm not being sponsored, I can give money to Macmillan. I suppose it scares me that I can't do a month without booze, which is why I started the challenge in the first place. On the other hand maybe I need to give myself a break, I have 3 2 year olds who run rings round me and had some bad news that was the nail on the coffin today. Not sure I'll last the evening I'm afraid x

Stick with me hun, and I will stick with you. Have something else, even if it's a bar of chocloate. Remember you're doing this to prove to yourself that you don't need it. :confused:
You are obviously needing something to console yourself. Be strong and show your inner self that you don't need it anymore.
@TripHOPmamma - I too could murder a glass of wine tonight - probably because we are having steak and I usually enjoy a glass of red with it but I am telling myself it's only 21 days and how much better should my liver be functioning, burning fat even after that!

Obviously it's up to you but I'd take @Carieoates advice and have something else..........
Thanks guys, still hanging on in there. Having an eat what I want evening and it's taking the edge off a bit. Hopefully I'll still be with you all tomorrow
Catching up with your conversations. When I started 5:2 nine months ago I changed my food and drink choices. Wine was cut to weekends - I introduced white wine spritzer 1 part wine 2 parts fizzy water, that is now 3 parts water. It is sustainable and if I go to reception, parties I'm clear on my order. :cool: So if cutting it completely feels too much, think about a considered approach that fits for you.
Not touched red wine since 2013, that was my preferred choice but not anymore.
Hope that helps. :smile:
I'm in the 'don't know what all the fuss is about' camp. To me wine just tastes nasty and is something I tolerate from time to time to prove I'm a grown up!
But I do know a bit about being addicted to stuff and I think what you are doing is great. Hang on in there - you can do anything for 4 weeks, and then - who knows?
just popping on to say thanks again, have eaten too much but tomorrow is another day, I'll try and do a 16:8 on Sat and Sun minimize the damage.

I'm still with you in the sober tent! Got by on lots and lots of diet tonic with lime. Probably tmi but I noticed it looks like I am starting a period again. This may account for the mini melt down. I'm thinking a trip to the Dr might be in order as I haven't had a period in 2 years as I have an implant and now have had 2 in 2 weeks.
Don't worry about TMI @TripHOPmamma - that would explain your mood/craving - I had a similar thing the other week then realised something was "imminent" and let myself give in to it - just for a day - we are only human after all!

:heart: :clover: :heart: :clover: :heart: :clover: :heart: :clover:
Does sound as if your hormones might be all over the place.
TripHOPmamma wrote: just popping on to say thanks again, have eaten too much but tomorrow is another day, I'll try and do a 16:8 on Sat and Sun minimize the damage.

I'm still with you in the sober tent! Got by on lots and lots of diet tonic with lime. Probably tmi but I noticed it looks like I am starting a period again. This may account for the mini melt down. I'm thinking a trip to the Dr might be in order as I haven't had a period in 2 years as I have an implant and now have had 2 in 2 weeks.

You have made my day @TripHOPmamma
So pleased that you didn't succumb to that booze.
And now that you know why it happened you can at least say I'm not needing that wine, it was just a blip. Get down that Drs and get a new implant ASAP. I had the implant until last year when I had a hysterectomy. You are luckier than me I was having almost permanent bleeding. But that's another story.

No such thing as TMI around here, we feel comfortable enough to tell all and one day, you will be guiding someone else through their difficult times due to your own experiences.

Thanks everyone else for the advice also. Much appreciated.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 Next
229 posts Page 2 of 16