The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

229 posts Page 5 of 16
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16 Next
I'm allowing myself alcohol now, but not wine until Xmas - guess what the only drink I really fancy is!
Thanks rawkaren, I really need to understand how to measure my body fat v weight. On my to do list ...
Yay well done to all the October Soberistas, I thoroughly enjoyed my couple of small glasses of red last night. I can't believe how nervous I felt about doing it, I was convinced I would fail. Probably helps that we hardly went anywhere. So many times though, I realised how much I would have enjoyed a glass of something alongside a particular foodstuff (beer with sausages, wine with pizza - yes and I shouldn't be surprised I haven't lost any weight recently!). But not a lot, just a bit. Made me realise I am NOT an alkie - I used to drink a lot more when I was younger (used to go out more) and people always called me a p***head etc and I just believed them and it's been a hard one to shake off , especially in my own head. I've always had the shameful feeling that maybe I AM an alcoholic after all - I can get a bit carried away at parties - but given how easy the last month has been I can safely say I am not! But yes I do enjoy alcohol for it's own sake but I know that when it comes to giving it up for 9months plus I will be fine!
Good luck to all those who are just starting out and to those carrying on - I will certainly be with you during the week :wink:
I had two glasses of wine this weekend.
Unless I go out I will have about the same from now on. So used to having a glass of carbonated water on the table beside me now.

Will now see if the booze was inhibiting my weight loss as I intend to do a little experiment and eat as I did last month and see if I stop losing. I averaged 1lb a week from 1st October, so, will be back the beginning of Dec to let you know how it's gone. Before the Xmas parties start that is.....
Good luck to the continuers and those having a sober time.
It has taught me that I was a habit drinker, weekends are not an excuse to drink wine, cider, vodka etc etc. not all at once, but I quite easily could have on special occasions.
I cannot wait for the bottles of wine to carry calorie contents. 1 bottle equals 5 jam doughnuts.
I overdid it a little on Saturday, oh was unwell so I had the best part of a bottle of fizz. Now I've broken the booze-fast I'm certainly not as bothered about booze and feel much happier with this me attitude to drink, I hope it lasts
How are you doing @Judithn this sober November? Two weekends in and all is good, but my brain is regularly questioning :?: what treat can I have instead of wine. So far guacamole dip and veggies seem to be doing the trick though I do need a few more healthy options in reserve.
Thinking of all you new "soberina's". I've really cut back and am constantly thinking what a waste of calories this wine is. I'm a new person. Saying that I drank so much fizzy water during October that I know in my heart of hearts that this is the reason I lost 5lb in weight last month. As soon as I allowed myself some wine (one whole bottle during a wek) and forgot to drink so much fizzy water I stopped losing and even gained just over a pound last week.
So beat this in mind fellow soberers.
Hey @lizbean I am still here. Not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be but early days. The hardest day was my book club Wed night. The hostess had bought "special" wines for me to try (unofficial enophile of the group that I am) and I had to insist on non-alcoholic cranberry juice. At least it was red and the rest of the group didn't comment on my not drinking :razz: .

I too am looking around for "what else?" can I have. Ate a pint of peanut butter and jam ice cream at one sitting last week :-o . I won't let it in my home again :lol:

Thanks for the cautionary advice @carieoates. Lost 2 pounds since starting but keeping a close eye :sidefrown:

Good luck all you abstainers/ soberinas
Yeh @Judithn well done for choosing cranberry wine, I like mine straight with lime and ice. :cool: I have not had any challenging events yet, but you have made me think ahead, there is lunch on Tuesday with big sis - that's ok, evening of 21st Nov I am entertaining a Mexican guest for a good fun time in London, my plan is to get a group of people together so I can go unnoticed if tequila is on the table! :shock: :wink: I ate peanut butter with mango chutney on toast or crackers in my teens to fill the hunger monster - very happy memories but I can't have the collaboration of ingredients in the house at the same time as it would send me wild. :smile: What's the plan Judithn now you have barred ice cream, jam and PB? @Carieoates thanks, I'm watching you closely :wink: - the fizzy water is fab as it does not make me 'hungry' - time to order in a big supply rather than buy daily en route to work.
I need to change the title to Soberina's
Sainsbos fizzy table water 20p for 2 ltr bottle. With a squirt of no added sugar squash. I have a glass of red wine in front of me right now. Will enjoy it as none till next Saturday.
@Carieoates oh yes, I like Soberina's, how was your Saturday red this week? :victory: @Judithn are you winning? 16 days in and there is no change, 1lb up this week, bouncing in the usual 3lb range. I'm not missing the weekend wine and I have upped fizzy water consumption to 2 litres a day, burp :oops: I'm swimming in the stuff :grin: Off to re-read the thread to see if anyone else got stuck ......or whether it took a couple of weeks for results
Good luck everyone :clover:
Hi again, @Lizbean I am going along great with the no alcohol. Somewhat amazed at how easy it has been. I am wondering how it is going to go to get back on the moderation plan I have planned. Will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I am also doing a different eating regimen than 5:2 at the moment and have lost about 5 pounds (my Christmas Challenger signature doesn't reflect this as I gained about 3 pounds before starting this). Can't credit it to the no-alcohol rule. It is a 21-day ultra- low carb regimen that rawkaren did last month. She didn't have great success with it but I want to give it a go since one of the absolute MUSTS of the program is NO ALCOHOL. Now is the only time, likely in my life, that I can guarantee that long a stretch of no booze. It is from Skye St. John's book "No Fail Fat Loss for Women". Not keen on her writing style and I am not doing some of the things I think are extreme/silly/?dangerous like eating activated charcoal everyday :unlike: . Just over a week on this and today I get to eat some Carbs :victory: . You get to do that every 5 days on this program...it is a bit extreme, I admit.

I have no intention to continue it after the 21-day period is up. I just wanted to get off this plateau I have been on since July and get to my goal. If it doesn't work, then I think it will be time to re-think my goal. I am in "normal" BMI range and 25 years older than the last time I was at that weight so maybe where I am now is where I am meant to be :?:

Meanwhile, I too bought litres of fizzy waters and diet drinks yesterday. Getting used to this :like:
I had half a bottle of red wine last night, just because it was there leftover from the other night. didn't particularly want or enjoy it TBH. This evening I'm drinking tonic without gin, I'm going to stop drinking at home altogether now I think, it's just not worth it!
@Judithn - wow, well done - you must be approaching your final week of the eating regime too. Sounds tough to me :shock: fingers crossed it delivers. I'm doing fine on the no alcohol front and have decided to keep it up till Xmas, @JennyH10 I'm with you on no alcohol in the house, it leads to unnecessary temptation. Judithn, good luck with the moderation plan, @carieoates - what's the latest with your plan - how are you doing?

I have not lost weight - in fact I have gained a few pounds which I put down to a stupidly busy and stressful period at work over the last 3 weeks culminating in - 3 days of board meetings, a lecture and dinner Wed/Friday just gone, which has left me on my knees. :bugeyes: It knocked me off my 52 path - I'm not sure why - apart from I changed last Mondays fast to Sunday and missed Thursdays fast - oh and I stopped weighing daily and failed to plan the week ahead. Anyhow, I am licking my wounds :wink: and immersing myself in all things 52 for the week ahead. Monday/Thursday 340 fast days, 1340 other days - and eat lots of greens.
Hope everyone has a good week ahead :clover:
Hi everyone.
It's great to see so may determined Soberina's.
I've had some alcohol. But to be absolutely honest I'm not at all bothered by it.
Went out on the town for a friends birthday last night i had two mojitos and two vodka and slimline tonics.
I sometimes feel like I've got a hangover when I've had no booze. Prob excess salt
So I've average a pound a week by doing 4.3 with occ 16.8 only on Friday but the bit which has really sorted my eating is the cal counting on MFP. I've set my TDEE to 1500 and 500 -600 on fast days
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16 Next
229 posts Page 5 of 16