The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

111 posts Page 7 of 8
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
carorees wrote: @loversghost
I also read that toning exercises such as pilates can help tighten up the fibres that tie the skin to the underlying muscles and so stop the skin from drooping. I can't find out whether this is just one of those many weightloss myths that circulate the internet or if it is actually true. :

Thanks for that - I certainly need to do something and will look into it because my husband is a Pilates nut and swears by it - I might have lost a fair amount of weight but sleeveless tops etc are a no no :-(
Hi @carorees I get the impression that we are in exactly the same boat. I've decided that when I update my progress tracker on Sunday I'll be changing my status to maintenance. For me that means I'm no longer actively trying to lose weight but if I drop a bit more that's great. If I don't then that's great too. I did get the first negative comment about my weight loss the other day :frown:

On the loose skin thing I agree that there is a fair bit of subcut fat hanging around. Although I have hip bones and ribs now, I'm also still fairly wobbly in between:curse: But I definitely think toning the underlying muscle is the way to go, for me anyway.

So fellow campers, how's about a cheeky Shiraz or two tomorrow evening to celebrate my graduation on Sunday morning :smile: Maybe we could make it a double celebration Caroline?

I'll bring a box :booze: :drink: :grin:
How nice.. a graduation party

Oh yes please @Alf! I like a nice shiraz! We don't have a red wine emoticon but I think it was Fern who said she thought this one looked like someone saying 'cheers' and holding up a glass of red wine: :lol:

I understand it is possible to hold a virtual party on Google+ using their Hangouts on Air feature. Does anyone know how to do it? We could all hang out for a bit!
Alf wrote: Hi @carorees I get the impression that we are in exactly the same boat. I've decided that when I update my progress tracker on Sunday I'll be changing my status to maintenance. For me that means I'm no longer actively trying to lose weight but if I drop a bit more that's great. If I don't then that's great too. I did get the first negative comment about my weight loss the other day :frown:

On the loose skin thing I agree that there is a fair bit of subcut fat hanging around. Although I have hip bones and ribs now, I'm also still fairly wobbly in between:curse: But I definitely think toning the underlying muscle is the way to go, for me anyway.

So fellow campers, how's about a cheeky Shiraz or two tomorrow evening to celebrate my graduation on Sunday morning :smile: Maybe we could make it a double celebration Caroline?

I'll bring a box :booze: :drink: :grin:

You are not alone @Alf and Caroline. I've been thinking the same thing myself lately as I seem stuck at 55.5k and maybe that's where my little old body wants to be. I am away from home this weekend without the internet.....(crikey!) otherwise I'd join you on Sunday morning. Cheers for then Alf. :drink:
However, I read one theory that the loose skin is not so much loose skin as the skin plus subcutaneous fat which is not so tightly packed in as it was making it floppy and that losing more weight might reduce the subcutaneous fat more and so bring in the apparently loose skin.

Goodness me @carorees I just might have to rethink what I have just posted to Alf, as I still have a lot of loose skin too on my torso. However, it seems to have gone on my underarms....so.....maybe I do need to lose more weight! :confused:
Hi @Auriga

Goodness me @carorees I just might have to rethink what I have just posted to Alf, as I still have a lot of loose skin too on my torso. However, it seems to have gone on my underarms....so.....maybe I do need to lose more weight! :confused:

I do wonder that myself. Also I am still losing so does that mean I keep going until I hit a plateau? :confused:

But I'm mentally ready (if not physically) to step outside the tent into Maintenance Land. I do hope someone decides to chum me as I'm not sure I should be left to wander about on my own. I'm bound to get lost :frown:
We could all be chums together in there @Alf.....I am back on line late on Wednesday, so will take a look in there when I get back from my travels.
Good luck and congratulations! :handshake: :party:
I am going to have to make my mind up, do I accept my weight at 157 or get to my goal 154, started from 182. The problem is I have been on a plateau which I accept after doing 5-2 for for 10 months and a week on Monday will be coming over to the UK for 4 1/2 weeks to wait the arrival if our 1 st grand baby, seeing family and friends so lots of celebrations plus fish and chips and cream teas (making my mouth water) thinking about it. Anyway these 3 lbs are hanging on for dear life and part of me is upset that I cannot reach my goal but on the other hand I think what the heck, 3 lbs are not going to change my life and the way I look.

I will be careful and I will be fasting and doing 1/2 fasts every week, but don't want to be trying to lose weight whilst staying with family and friends.

June 2013
Weight 182
Bust 42
Waist 36
Hips 47

April 2014
Weight 157
Bust 39
Waist 32
Hips 41 1/2

It does concern me that in a way my weight was in maintenance mode, even though doing 2 full fast days, with one of those just a liquid fast and knowing I won't be doing that whilst in the uk.

On a positive note So looking forward to seeing family and friends and meeting new baby, and will use my 5-2 tools to help me on my journey.
Congratulations Alf!

With regard to Pilates, I used to be a complete pilates but. Even went on a week LNG Pilates holiday back in my relative youth. All I will sayis that my teacher had rock hard abdominal - located directly below the pouch of skin left behind by her four stone weight gain when pregnant, and subsequent loss. She had been teaching Pilates for years, so doing oodles of classes a week. She was saving for a tummy tuck last time I saw her! In conclusion, well worth the effort, but don't expect miracles. For me, the toning and postural corrections were worth it. I'm sat here asking myself why I don't do it regularly any more :confused: Must correct that...

On the other hand, I've carried twins and while I definitely have the legacy, I've found that slowly and bit by bit, my skin has tightened up pretty well. Everywhere except the bingo wings, but then I'm heavy limbed and the bingo wings were always there. Certainly, my stomach is pretty reasonable, considering how much I've weighed in the past (nearly sixteen stone when pregnant) and how many times I've dieted. I do believe a life-long moisturising habit has helped, and its never too late to start. I just use anything and everything, nothing fancy.
This is really interesting.. So many are saying that at some point the body doesnt want to budge below a certain weight despite strict fasts, good activity levels and general good behaviour.

Do we listen to our bodies and not strive to lose any more weight?

When do we know our body just has had enough ?

When should we graduate to Maintenance confidently and not feeling like we have "failed our goals?

How long do we give ourselves to be sure

I've never done Pilates, but I can vouch for the magic of zumba. It doesn't rid one of all the loose skin (at least at my age 65), but it does help with those saggy muscles, and, I think, the subcutaneous fat. At least it doesn't seem to be so prevalent! It also tightens up the obliques or transverse muscles (I think that's what you call the ones that wrap around the sides of your torso). If you can find a teacher who uses a lot of hip action and body rolls, it works great. :grin:
Wholeheartedly agree @bordergirl :grin: I'm 65 and a zumba fan too and find it really helps tone up the old saggy bits! Absolutely love it! :like: :like: :heart: :heart:
Well you're all so lovely I've decided to stay in this tent a little longer :grin:! I've lowered my target to 65kg after this discussion about subcutaneous fat and as my body fat is still above 30% (30.7%) according to my scales. I hope that 65kg will get it down to under 30%.

Do you mind postponing the graduation party for a little, @alf?
Not at all @carorees

I drank the Shiraz last night anyway :oops:
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
111 posts Page 7 of 8