The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

31 posts Page 1 of 3
We have grown very attached to a medium latte from c£&@a and were wondering if it would be a better idea to invest in a coffee machine at home, and if so, which one?
Anyone had much experience of these beasts? All suggestions gratefully accepted. Many thanks :0)
Haven't got one, and someone said to me yesterday that they were ripping their kitchen out and till it was refitted they had a kettle a toaster and a coffee machine "like everyone does these days" -well not in my house we don't.
I'll read replies with interest :smile:
Hi, last week my OH bought me a much longed for Nespresso! I love it.. I love my coffee but in a cafetire it was never hot enough, I drink it strong and black... Anyway I had had coffees from these machines elsewhere and was never disappointed...there is also an offer on at the moment for £40 voucher to purchase the pods. Normally it will work out at 30p a cup...well worth it.
We also have a Nespresso machine at work. It makes very strong black coffee, there are also machines or add-ons which do the milk but I am avoiding that (too tempting!). It is incredibly easy to use, clean and tidy, as Mrsrae says the capsules work out c.30p per cup and the coffee is very good.

At home we use a cafetiere or for a single cup a filter + filter paper stuck over a mug!

'Real' espresso machines are almost works of art but require too much faff and cleaning for everyday use IMO!
I just use a basic filter. I like mine black so no point in fancy milk frothers for me. I've used a cafetiere but always end up with cold coffee! My son got a really nifty gadget at the Gadget Show Live at the NEC. It froths the milk in a jug until its almost stiff! No plugs or electricity involved. I think it cost him about a tenner!
Msrae, where can these be bought with the pod vouchers? (got to admit I haven't googled it)
I have a milk frother thing that OH bought, which replaced the much simpler, easier to clean one
I have had a little Bialetti stove top espresso coffee maker for as long as I can remember - my son has an all singing all dancing big contraption that takes pods. Mine will still be going strong after that one blows a gasket! :razz:
Hi SianS
I checked on line and then bought it from John Lewis as I like it see things for real! Prices were the same. They have a great range and we got the Essenza. It is small and stylish, and so easy to use...no faffing!!
dhana wrote: I have had a little Bialetti stove top espresso coffee maker for as long as I can remember - my son has an all singing all dancing big contraption that takes pods. Mine will still be going strong after that one blows a gasket! :razz:

Me too - I've never tasted better coffee at home. I had a Nespresso but it doesn't compare to a moka pot coffee. Nespresso gives me a headache and is very expensive - my Bialetti Moka pot (which doesn't use filter paper) really makes excellent coffee.
Bialettis are wonderful. If you mainly drink 'Americanos', they are the way to go.

If you do like lattes/cappuccinos, then you might need a bigger machine. If you can, go for one that takes ground coffee or pods - it just gives you more options. I'm on my second Francis Francis X1 - first one lasted 10 years - although thankfully, I haven't paid full RRP for either! I love it.

One thing - if you live in a very hard water area, consider using bottled soft water in your coffee machine, it will help it keep going a lot longer!
Hard water is my problem here. Perhaps I should just get a water filter jug, having looked on YouTube at what is needed by way of de scale tabs for these machines, it seems to be all about paying out constantly. At least jug-filtered water can be used for cold drinks and the kettle too.
So, next question-:
Which water jug filter do we think is best, or are they all much of a muchness?
Well we have a nespresso, we've had it since xmas and we haven't had to de scale it yet despite hard water, I think you only need to do that once a year! It makes great coffee and I love it, but I drink espressos only, I'm not sure how good it is for lattes etc. I do buy the official capsules sometimes but you can also buy fake ones which are not so expensive and a plastic capsule you can fill with any coffee which is a great budget option.
Before we had a tassimo which made good lattes etc, not great espresso, and hot choc and tea too, but the capsules were way too expensive and it only lasted 2 years before it broke, so that's one not to buy.
We have a brita water filter which is fine too, but I find the actual replacement filters a bit pricey, so we use it for plain drinking water only.
We haven't got space for a coffee machine, and as I bulk-buy my commodities from Suma I don't really want to go down the capsule route - they are far more expensive than loose coffee, plus there is the eco issue around all that packaging. So after much searching I went for a thermal cafetiere. It's basically double walled stainless steel, which means there is no glass to break and it can go in the dishwasher. It's also a very elegant classic design and I'm very happy to bring it out when friends are round.
I can make up a full pot for myself and it stay hot enough for me to drink all of it over an hour and a half. What I also like is that you get the full crema off the top into your cup as it doesn't have the silly filter on the spout that bodum has, nor does it leak granules after a few uses. I work at home and my morning coffee is an important part of my routine, but I don't want it to take me too long to make as I want to get back on with work.
I find lattes too milky now, plus there is the calorie content to consider with them too.
Exactly the same there No_More _Mrs_Michelin! Suma stuff up to the ceiling in the shed and the utility room :oops: Thermal cafitiere is fine for me. Even though I wouldn't consider the capsules because of the environmental impact, I don't actually like the stuff from the machines as I drink black coffee and the machine stuff is too strong for my feeble taste, yet if I add boiling water to it, it tastes odd.

Re Suma...they do a good range of coconut oil...did you see?
So tonight I have ordered a Brita Elemaris meter XL filter water jug on Amazon to help Moogie, and a velvet top in Lands End's sale with free delivery so now I MUST go to bed and Stop Spending Money!

Good Night One And All :0)
31 posts Page 1 of 3