The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

59 posts Page 4 of 4
Re: Your Favourite Cookbooks?
31 Dec 2013, 18:53
@Wendy Darling, I'm waiting for Rose Elliot's The Low Carb Vegetarian Diet to arrive from Ebay too. Will be spoilt for choice! :grin:
01 Jan 2014, 03:33
I got Rick Stein India (from the tv series currently showing in Australia) for Christmas
rickstein-india.jpg
rickstein-india.jpg (33.39 KiB) Viewed 635 times

the photography (of Indian culture as well as food) is stunning.

a must have

that adds to my ever growing Rick stein book collection.

if your in Oz. next one is next monday

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/rick-steins-india/

(ps i missed meeting Rick by 1 day at his Milton restaurant in Australia 2 years ago.) the food was divine . distinctly remember the Fish pie. oh rick stein, one of my food heroes. )
01 Jan 2014, 15:01
I love Rick Stein's India - haven't done many recipes from it yet, but the ideas are great. One that I did do was the Shawkat's Masala Fish, which I found really much too strongly flavoured with mustard, but I adapted it and cooked a piece of haddock smothered in a spicy paste, wrapped in foil and baked - ace with cauliflower rice to accompany it. I put that one in my book!
Those who are veggie, have you seen the new 5:2 Vegetarian book by Celia Brooks?
02 Jan 2014, 12:27
Belindab wrote: I love Rick Stein's India - haven't done many recipes from it yet, but the ideas are great. One that I did do was the Shawkat's Masala Fish, which I found really much too strongly flavoured with mustard, but I adapted it and cooked a piece of haddock smothered in a spicy paste, wrapped in foil and baked - ace with cauliflower rice to accompany it. I put that one in my book!
Those who are veggie, have you seen the new 5:2 Vegetarian book by Celia Brooks?

aahh we have a real author in the house! wow. congratulations on the book you seem to have very positive reviews.

Did you self publish. My neighbour keeps telling me i should do a book of recipes.
02 Jan 2014, 15:28
Hi Juliana, yes I self-published. This time I used createspace, which is Amazon's own print on demand publisher. For my previous book back in 2008 I used Lulu, but the printing costs were much higher. I find it brilliant having my own book to refer to, saves trying to find all those scribbled notes!
02 Jan 2014, 16:51
I have sooo many, I am what's commonly known as a cook book whore ;). I have set myself a personal challenge for 2014 to cook a new recipe from each of my books every week...my #cookfromthebooks challenge :)
02 Jan 2014, 20:11
@Lynzinthesun - nice to see you back! Why don't you start your own thread on here with each week's recipe?? Lots of fab recipes shared - some original, but a lot pulled from published cookbooks as well ...
02 Jan 2014, 21:56
@lynzinthesun I was just thinking yesterday about doing the same thing. But not just my cookbooks, also all the recipes I've ripped out of magazines.
03 Jan 2014, 04:00
Belindab wrote: Hi Juliana, yes I self-published. This time I used createspace, which is Amazon's own print on demand publisher. For my previous book back in 2008 I used Lulu, but the printing costs were much higher. I find it brilliant having my own book to refer to, saves trying to find all those scribbled notes!

Thats just tooo kewl!
03 Jan 2014, 09:01
@Silverdarling & @wineoclock Good to be back, I got caught up in life for the last few months and without a laptop eeekkk ! Happy to start a new thread, will be posting on Twitter too under @lynzinthesun...My dream is to write my own cook-book, based on my life's experiences living in two different countries, so could be picking @belindab 's brains too x Happy New Year everyone x
03 Jan 2014, 10:36
Oh that would be fab Lynsey - you know, once you start writing things, it just builds up over time and suddenly it becomes easy (ish) to turn into a book. I look forward to seeing some of your recipes, I love Spanish food!

And here is my current list of fave cookbooks:-
Ottolenghi - Cookbook
Nigel Slater - Kitchen Diaries II and Tender I and II
Alain Ducasse - Nature
Annabel Langbein - Cooking to Impress without Stress
Rick Stein - India, Mediterranean Escapes, French Odyssey
Raymond Blanc - Simple French Cookery
Mimi Spencer- Fast Diet Recipe Book

I get a lot of inspiration from delicious and olive magazines too, as well as BBC Good Food website.
03 Jan 2014, 12:00
Love the new Philadelphia Cream Cheese cookbook for the quick and easy recipes and the Skinny Hairy Bikers which add the calories per potion.
03 Jan 2014, 15:01
I don't tend to look at cookbooks so much these days...I look for recipes on the internet and save them to my phone/tablet for use. Most of my fave cookbooks are, therefore, pretty old. These are my first go-to books when seeking a recipe:

The Times Cookery Book by Katie Stewart (I was given this by a friend at about age 14, so it's 40 years old at least)
Contemporary Home Cooking by Glynn Christian (not so contemporary now as it's about 30 years old!)
The Aga Book by Mary Berry (again an oldie but a goodie)

I have several more recent books but I just keep returning to these old favourites!
Your Favourite Cookbooks?
06 Jan 2014, 16:59
Is there a way to lock certain people out of threads? Because I don't think that I should be allowed anywhere near this one - it'll lead to my financial ruin :)

xxx FatDog, a self-confessed cook-bookaholic
with too many favourites to list, and an ever expanding list of more to get...
59 posts Page 4 of 4