The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

18 posts Page 1 of 2
About to start! nervous
21 Dec 2014, 20:24
Hi,

A friend lost over 9st here, Im hoping to the the same, going to wait till after this week though for obvious reasons!

does anyone use raspberry ketones too? (on either day?)

what about juicing
Re: About to start! nervous
21 Dec 2014, 21:26
Welcome to the forum! It's a good idea to start after the holidays, but I'm glad you're here to find inspiration and ideas.

I don't use raspberry ketones or any of those sham/scam profit making fads. The science doesn't back them, and you have to ask yourself, if it really worked, why wouldn't your doctor prescribe it? There's an awful lot of money to be made of people's hope for an easy way out. I can't recommend anything sold in an infomercial or with so much internet advertising.
21 Dec 2014, 21:54
Hi and welcome!
I don't do anything like that but I believe my body is going into ketosis ( far burning state ) just by fasting till dinner time if I can.( not I couldn't do this when I first started)
I figure with juicing you're getting a big hit of sugar from the fruit/ veg which I'm trying to avoid. I mostly stick to protein and above ground veges and salads on fast days. So the up side is this Way Of Eating is FREE!!! And it works. I've lost 23 KGS in 20 months. Get excited. It works!
21 Dec 2014, 22:01
Welcome and congrats on planning to start your new way of eating!
Not sure about juicing as havent got one but thinking along same lines as julianna,plus lots faffing about cleaning yr juicer x
Happy Christmas and enjoy the forum! X
21 Dec 2014, 22:24
Welcome and good luck. I only fast twice a week, Monday and Thursday and I don't do anything else special. My understanding about juice is that it isn't a good thing when you are trying to lose weight. You are better off to eat the fruit and get the fibre. When you juice apples , for example, you have to juice quite a few apples to get a glass of apple juice, and you'd be better to just eat one apple. I have lost 13kg over 20 months. I don't intend to stop doing this.
21 Dec 2014, 23:43
Hi and welcome from me too. I agree with everyone else, dont waste your money on fad products. I had a juicer years ago but found more of a pain with all the cleaning. Better to eat whole foods.
Have a great Christmas and good luck with fasting after.
21 Dec 2014, 23:44
Oh and dont be nervous, its really not that hard once you get into it :grin:
22 Dec 2014, 01:05
Juice can have as much or more sugar than regular Coke! Sugar causes blood sugar swings which cause hunger after you consume it. The less sugar and starch you eat, the less hungry you will feel.

Raspberry ketones appear to be scammy nonsense with added caffeine giving the feeling they do something.

You will start to lose weight when you realize there are no short cuts, no magic, and that it is simply about finding a way to eat fewer calories than you burn. Fasting helps with that.

Stick around, keep asking questions, and by this time next year you will be a lot thinner!
22 Dec 2014, 01:08
Welcome and good luck, Krysia.

There are threads around with lots of great tips for fast days. Things like: drink coffee and tea and water (all calorie free), low cal broths or miso are great on a fast day, keep busy.
28 Dec 2014, 22:08
Thanks everyone! I bought a 5:2 diet recipe book today it was only £2.99

ooking forward to starting just need to finish all the left overs then I can go go go
29 Dec 2014, 09:16
Hello and welcome from me too.
Ditch the ketones, juicing is ok, Im not a juicer @rawkaren, will be able to help on this.
Good luck and who's the friend?
29 Dec 2014, 10:45
Fasting is always a good lifestyle to start if it suits you so you might find it fairly helpful to start this week tho' it might be easier to manage socially if you postpone it until after the festivities are over. :)

You have a good resource in your successful friend, but, if you have any questions, do speak up as there's a good chance someone might have helpful suggestions or be able to signpost you to a useful source of information.

What are your goals? Health improvements? Weight/size change?

Good Luck. :clover:
29 Dec 2014, 11:10
Hi Krysia and welcome.

I think I know who the friend is...a fellow chicken keeper perhaps? :wink:

Agree with the others to forget the raspberry ketones. Beware of juicing... It's okay if mainly veggies but too much fruit will result in high sugar content which will make you hungry and impede weight loss.

Good luck ... any questions just ask.
C
29 Dec 2014, 15:37
I don't juice anymore for the reasons others have stated. I do still however drink 'shrek' smoothies.
Golden rule mostly is to drink your veg and eat your fruit. Fructose needs fibre with it to stop your blood sugar from spiking. This means that you should not put too much fruit in your blend.
Blend rather than juice, eg all of the cucumber, all of the carrot, all of the pear etc etc.
Make your drink mostly green, eg celery, cucumber, spinach. Greens blunt your appetite.
If you blend fruit, use a low sugar fruit such as berries, lemon or apple (whole)
Vary your greens
Cook your cruciferous veg, eg sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, kale and spinach if you have thyroid or inflammation problems.
Throw in a few nuts, half an avocado, coconut or MCT oil.
My favourite blend is lime juice, spinach, avocado, ginger, pineapple and apple.
30 Dec 2014, 00:42
Welcome and I can only agree with what everyone else has said - there are no shortcuts - it's a question of cutting calories and using more up if possible. I have found using MyFitnessPal and doing exercise classes has sped my weight loss up and I try to do 4:3 rather than 5:2 but you will find what works for you - good luck!

:clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:
18 posts Page 1 of 2