The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Another Hypothyroid-er
20 Apr 2016, 14:15
Hello!

Newbie here. I am on week 3 of my 5:2 (2lb down but I think it will be more once my body gets used to all the water I'm drinking).

I was hyperthyroid but had my thyroid removed 12 years ago so have been on thyroxine ever since. I was always a happy weight but in the last 4 years I've put on 3 stone :( I've tried all the diets you can (including the horrendous shake ones) and nothing has worked. After reading everyone's posts and the website info I'm confident the 5:2 is for me!

I see there are other posts on Hypothyroidism but I didn't see anyone mention tiredness. I've found myself this last week being extremely tired. I have read the info page on side effects and it mentions feeling tired mid afternoon so I don't know if I'm just experiencing an extreme case of this. But on Monday night at 7 o'clock, I couldn't keep my eyes open and passed out on the sofa. Same yesterday and today I'm unable to do any work as I can't read a sentence coherently.

Has anyone else suffered this and if so, how long does it last? Is it weird it's happening on week 3 rather than week 1?

Sorry if I'm being a dramatic newbie. I'd rather not google it though as I'll have diagnosed myself with a dozen different exotic diseases by the time I've posted this thread.

Thank you :)
Re: Another Hypothyroid-er
21 Apr 2016, 09:19
Have been suffering for the last 10 yrs and now I have realized that when I get these extreme tiredness (exhausted so much my whole body hurts) I need to have my Levaxin (another thyroid med) checked and tweaked. So my advice is to seek medical help. Good Luck.
21 Apr 2016, 09:39
Hi Lizwardo, Sorry to hear of your troubles..i think Wolfie has given you excellent advice
It seems strange that you were ok in wk 1 and 2 and now youre tired and sleepy in week 3... As Wolfie said, maybe yr medication needs tweaking?
I too have a underactive thyroid and according to blood tests I am ok now I' m on levothyroxine
( tho its said that thyroid blood tests are notoriously not very accurate)
I am tired all the time, .but havent found that fasting has made me extra tired tho or even sleepy..i
I dont recall hearing anyone on here saying fasting makes them tired or sleepy...some people complain they feel cold or have headaches,many feel energised by resting their digestive systems.
So maybe book a doctor's appointment and take it from there?
Welcome to the fasting forum and nice to meet you! X
21 Apr 2016, 15:51
Thank you for your advice and warm welcome :) I have had my bloods tested in February and they were all ok but I have a follow up appointment with the endocrinologist in 2 weeks so I'll see what he thinks. Fingers crossed it is just a med dosage alteration - although I've been on the same dosage for years now so I don't know why it would change, as I haven't lost any dramatic weight (yet.)

I will keep you posted :)

Thanks again!
22 Apr 2016, 10:15
Lizwardo wrote: Thank you for your advice and warm welcome :) I have had my bloods tested in February and they were all ok but I have a follow up appointment with the endocrinologist in 2 weeks so I'll see what he thinks. Fingers crossed it is just a med dosage alteration - although I've been on the same dosage for years now so I don't know why it would change, as I haven't lost any dramatic weight (yet.)

I will keep you posted :)

Thanks again!

My levels change every now and when it happens I get indescribable tired/exhausted and - even more depressed, just sit in my armchair and cries for no obvious reason. Keep my fingers crossed that the endocrine doc will figure it all out.
5 posts Page 1 of 1