The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Newbie support needed!
17 Jan 2013, 10:59
Hi fellow fasters!
I first became interested in 5:2 when i watched the Horizon doc with Dr Mosley in august and thought it may be a good way of improving my health and dropping some baby weight. I did a few days before christmas which ment i didnt put on any weight over the festive period (which is a first!).
This is all great but i feel as though the weight loss is very slow and i guess im getting impatient although i know its a lifestyle change and i should be in for the long hall.
Also im finding that i dont want to tell people what im doing because when i spoke to my sister about it she layed into me saying its a silly fad diet and that its dangerous and that i should just do weightwatchers or something! All i was looking for was a little support :cry:
However my hubby has been great and positive but refuses to try it with me which would help on fast days. (He really loves his food and has a perfect BMI so perhaps he really doesnt need to)
It will be great to chat to some like minded people going through the same things. Pennyfaster :)
Re: Newbie support needed!
17 Jan 2013, 11:10
Hi Pennyfaster

Weight loss is a slow process and we must be patient. I too am soooo impatient, wanting the 6 stone I need to lose to vanish instantly.

You could try many things with this diet, like adding another fast day to your week, so you go 4.3 or check your TDDE on this site http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx so that you know you are not over eating on feed days. Sometimes our body fights us and we end up giving up because we don't get the results we want. This diet does work, I've read so many reports of people who have been successful. The good thing is that you are your own person and if you believe that this will work then don't let anyone tell you different.

All diets work, it's if you can keep it up to maintain your weight loss that matters. With this diet, it is one that you can do for the rest of your life; going to 6.1 for maintenance etc.

I am on here most days and offer my support to you. Good luck.

Michelle xx
17 Jan 2013, 11:18
Hi Penny & welcome to the forums & the 5:2 lifestyle :)

If you don't have a lot to lose, the losses may be slower than for those who have more weight to shift. A slow loss is more sustainable in the long term and more likely to stay off. I lost a stone in about 6 weeks when I started (August), the next stone was much slower, coming off by mid December. I'm on about 1lb a week loss at the moment, sometimes a little less sometimes a little more. But, what other lifestyle allows me to eat all the things I fancy 5 days a week and still lose weight? I feel it's so effortless now. So keep at it my dear, it's so worthwhile :)

Please, please don't do weight watchers or slimming world! People say it works, but few ever seem to stick with it and everyone I know who has tried it has ended up going back and forth to it for years, losing, gaining, losing gaining. They all try to find ways to 'cheat'. It's too restrictive IMHO and the fact that the advocate low fat food is terrible! If you've got a bit of time to kill, try watching 'The Men Who Made Us Fat' (the videos are linked on the resources forum) and you'll see why these things are so very bad for us!
17 Jan 2013, 11:30
Thanks Shell and Moogie!
I have got about 2 stone to lose so i guess its not too much and i know i should add in some more exercise. I keep making excuses like i get home from work late and ive been on my feet all day or i cant because i have to look after my daughter! I just have to do it!
I am currently doing 4:3 but i know im impatient so no ammount of weightloss per week will be enough!
I did do slimming world for a bit a few years ago and lost some weight but felt so restricted and bored with it after 6 months that i gave up. I dont ever want to do those diets again. I tried explaining to my sis but she wouldnt listen (she has never stuggled with her weight).
I have seen the man who made us fat and found it very interesting. Thanks again for your replies and suggestions, much appreciated x Pennyfaster
17 Jan 2013, 12:48
Welcome to the forums! I know it's so depressing to start yet another diet, and I'm sorry your sister and husband aren't more supportive. Hopefully you'll get all the support you need here :-)
17 Jan 2013, 14:02
Pennyfaster, why don't you point your detractors in the direction of Michael Mosley's "Horizon" programme? They can't argue with science, surely?

Two stone isn't a great deal to lose - you say it's baby weight - how long ago did you have your baby? I think 5lbs is a great loss, actually - it's the same amount that I've lost and I've been doing this since September! But I'm in it for the long haul - I'm not overweight, just have a tendency to a bit of a post-menopausal lump round the middle if I don't watch it. It's the difference between wearing a size 12 top and a 14 waist when I'd rather be a straight 12, thank you very much.

I wouldn't do three days personally, not when you have a little 'un to run after. You need to know you can stay on it and three days a week sounds quite unmanageable - to me at least! Maybe you can also persuade your husband of the other benefits of 5:2 - it's not just to do with losing weight after all. Actually my main motivation was to ward off Alzheimers! Good luck, you're doing brilliantly!
17 Jan 2013, 15:02
Thanks guys.
My hubby is being supportive of me doing this i just find it hard when im having my fast dinner and he has a big plate of food!
My little girl is nearly 11 months old and i have lost some of the weight but would love to be near my pre pregnancy weight as i have loads of clothes that i cant wear.
I have been looking for the horizon doc but its not on youtube or iplayer, does anyone know where i can find it?
Thanks, Pennyfaster.
17 Jan 2013, 15:56
There is a link to it in the resources section :-)
17 Jan 2013, 16:36
Please don't let people put you off. To me this way of life is the first I've ever seen which is not a "quack diet" I studied food technology many moons ago and have always worked in scientific environments and to me this is the first "diet" with any scientific backing that I can believe in. Admittedly I don't have a lot to loose and am doing it for the health benefits as much as anything else however it is great for when I want to loose the odd half to one stone such as before or after a holiday. I have been doing it since August and feel a great deal healthier.
17 Jan 2013, 16:46
Hello and welcome to the forum.
17 Jan 2013, 19:34
Hi penny,

Unlike you I was a little silly and did tell the guys I work with I was on this diet when I started back in August. They were less than supportive and I got the usual mickey taking etc you would expect.

5-6 months on after seeing me loose 2st and seeing my blood test results, 4 out of an office of 14 have joined me and are now also following this diet.

Good luck with this diet :)
17 Jan 2013, 19:37
mole3 wrote: Hi penny,

Unlike you I was a little silly and did tell the guys I work with I was on this diet when I started back in August. They were less than supportive and I got the usual mickey taking etc you would expect.

5-6 months on after seeing me loose 2st and seeing my blood test results, 4 out of an office of 14 have joined me and are now also following this diet.

Good luck with this diet :)

Massive 'like'!
:D
18 Jan 2013, 20:10
Thanks all, I am really determined to make this work for me as im already starting to feel healthier. Not sure what to say to collegues in the coffee room at lunch when they ask why im not eating much. Want to wait a while to tell them.
18 Jan 2013, 20:39
As it's only two days a week, just say you're not feeling hungry today?
18 Jan 2013, 22:16
Pennyfaster wrote: My hubby is being supportive of me doing this i just find it hard when im having my fast dinner and he has a big plate of food!

Hi Penny,

First of all I second the suggestion that your hubby should consider the health benefits apart from weight loss. I don't need to lose any more weight, but I'd sure as hell like to avoid Alzheimer's!

Secondly, you too can have a big plate of food on your fast day - I always do!

Check out this recipe on my blog:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk ... vegan.html

HTH! B&W
15 posts Page 1 of 1