The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

11 posts Page 1 of 1
First time -- today!
22 Jan 2013, 01:52
Hi

Today is my first day on the diet. I've managed to get by not eating anything except 2 apples and 2 oranges and about 4 mugs of tea with milk. I intend to keep going until tomorrow evening, so do 36 hours.

Currently my BMI is around the 35 mark and ideally need to loose about 5 st. to bring it back to the normal range. I'm 6' and around 19 st. at the moment.

Can anyone tell me if it is OK to have fruit (apples, oranges, clementines) on the fast days?

Cheers
H
Re: First time -- today!
22 Jan 2013, 07:28
I eat whatever I like on the fast days within the calorie limit.

It may help not to think of this as a diet which has connotations of lots of rules.

You have made a good start - keep it up!
22 Jan 2013, 07:48
If fruit works for you, that's fine but it's not very filling for the amount of calories. Some people find it makes them hungrier.

I would experiment over the next few fasts and see what works best.

Good luck!
22 Jan 2013, 08:21
Yes I agree about the calories in fruit. I was surprised to see that a clementine is about 50 calories!
22 Jan 2013, 10:39
Hi all,

It's my first day of fasting today too! So far I have had a cup of tea with milk (20 cals) and a Muller Light yogurt (88 cals), doing ok so far but it's only 10.30am! I am going to have some tomato soup for lunch (100 cals) and save the rest of my cals for dinner (Weight Watchers meal 299 cals), unless I get desperate and have some raw carrot to keep me going! I am drinking lots of green tea in between too.

It's my birthday tomorrow so got to make a cake tonight, got a feeling that the smell of cake baking might not have been the best idea on my first fast day but at least I can look forward to eating it tomorrow :D

Good luck to everyone fasting today,

Sarah x
22 Jan 2013, 11:52
Shouldn't someone else be baking the cake for you? Shame!
22 Jan 2013, 12:08
Ha ha I know! At work everyone has to bring in cakes on their birthday so it works out fair! My boyfriend is baking me another cake for the weekend though so don't feel too sorry for me :)

Birthday week = probably not the best week to start a diet but the 5:2 seems to be the only diet where it may actually be possible...
22 Jan 2013, 16:16
Did anyone else feel really sick on their first day of fasting? I had consumed 240 calories throughout the day but by about 4pm I felt really sick so had to eat a Ryvita (41 cals). This is going to push me over to 523 calories by the end of the day (got a Weight Watchers ready meal planned for dinner), which I am bit disappointed with as I wanted to stick with the 500. Don't feel it bodes well for me sticking to the diet... someone please tell me it gets better?!
22 Jan 2013, 16:29
My first day today too. So far found it fine but its only 12md, so have been for a long hilly walk whilst fasted, no ill effects. Came home, black coffee, half a mango ( not sure how many cals got to look it up, l/f greek yogurt 50 cals and a boiled egg 80 cals, feel satisfied and am aiming to eat nothing more until my supper of haddock and salad. Feel really positive that this is the lifestyle change I need to make
22 Jan 2013, 16:31
It does get better SJ and 23 calories is not going to derail you ;)
22 Jan 2013, 16:45
I would keep away from fruit on the fast days as its not very filling AND will spike your blood sugar and you'll just want more ..and more....
11 posts Page 1 of 1