The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Another one joins....
25 Jan 2013, 12:01
Heard about this diet before xmas. Tried it on and off for a bit and have now decided to take it seriously.
I need to loose 2 stone, so here goes.
Been doing it properly for three weeks now and finally my fast days have handle-able :D .
But yesterday I have my first "pig out" up day! :? I dont know why but I just felt like pigging out and couldn't stop myself from doing it. Normally my up days have been ok and I have stuck to my normal foods. Do hope this was just a glitch, as my weight is back up again :roll:
Re: Another one joins....
25 Jan 2013, 12:42
Hi arcoiris and welcome :)

Don't worry about the pigging out day - I've had a fair few of them during my fasting and have continued to lose weight.

Remember, just compare your weight on a weekly basis - weigh in around the same time of day once a week and compare those figures to get a true idea of your loss. If you hop on the scales immediately after a piggy day, it's bound to be up a bit - but it will balance out by the time your next 'proper' weigh in is :)

I used to weigh myself daily (sometimes several times), but since starting 5:2 I have cut right back. Even if I do step on between my Friday morning weigh ins, I don't take anything to heart. It's just a guideline to me - if it's gone up a little I just bear in mind that maybe I shouldn't be *too* piggy the rest of the week ;) But that doesn't mean I don't let myself have a treat or two most days!
25 Jan 2013, 13:31
Thanks for the welcome Moogie, :D

I weigh myself everyday - but do realize it will fluctuate, but so long it didn't get too much of a difference I wasn't bothered.At the moment I am trying ADF.

Unfortunately since my amazing loss of 1/2 a stone in the beginning (before Xmas) I haven't lost any - I keep bouncing 3lbs on and off! But reading this forum I think its due to the fact that I havent been able to stop myself from eating after the 24hrs on a fast day at night, so this is perhaps what has been my downfall. :oops: :oops:
I find that up until I eat I can handle it - although cooking the families tea is sometimes where I fail! So I am considering perhaps doing a total fast.
25 Jan 2013, 14:46
Hi arcoiris

Yes, you should not eat more than 500 cals for the whole day from waking in the morning until going to sleep at night so that is around 36 hours of very low calorie intake. If you just do 24 hours and then eat dinner and some snacks your overall calorie intake will not be much reduced and so weight loss will be very slow indeed.

I find that overeating at my one meal (which is very easy to do because I feel I should eat all of the 500 cals) seems to make me feel hungry again soon afterwards. The same happens next morning. If I eat too big a breakfast I feel hungry again soon after. I suspect my brain is so out of touch with the signals coming from the stomach it doesn't know the difference between hunger and over-eating!

I'd be interested to know how you get on with a total fast...but for me I think cooking the family's tea would be too painful!
25 Jan 2013, 20:33
Hi Carorees,

Yes your right about the overeating at the one meal.
I didn't try a total fast tonight and ate my 500cals at dinner time and am now sat here with a rumblin tum! lol

I think I will try a total fast as it might stop me over eating and it must be possible to do - fingers crossed my oh doesn't worry too much about me doing that - i will keep you posted, but tomorrow is an eat day - yeah!! lol
30 Jan 2013, 13:22
Ok - so I decided not to try an full fast in front of the OH in case he worried - So yesterday was the first chance I had to try this - I couldn't manage it!
I got till about 8pm last night and then started having the same feelings as i did when I first started fasting:- light headed, tired etc. So I had a bowl of soup and two crumpets which took me just over the 500cals. But I managed not to eat anything else after that.
So I suppose that is an improvement in itself.
6 posts Page 1 of 1