The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Newbie - day after first fast
28 Jan 2013, 12:58
Hello! I did my first fast yesterday and it went pretty well - the hunger didn't get unbearable and I felt fine.

Today, however, my appetite seems pretty huge. I had been hoping for the much-discussed reduction in appetite on non-fasting days and am still hoping it will kick in once I've been doing this for a while. Did anyone else have a similar experience? Today I am just concentrating on trying to eat 'normally'!
Hi Fillerbunny

Welcome to the forum.

Well done on completing your first fast.

I have to say that I felt quite odd the day after the fast for many weeks. I thought I was very hungry and my stomach felt odd, like when recovering from a tummy bug. I would feel full quickly after eating, only to feel hungry again soon after.

However, I discovered last week that if I reduced my breakfast after the fast day by about a third, I felt perfectly normal afterwards and not hungry. I think it may be that the stomach discomfort was due to overfilling and not hunger. My stomach had shrunk during the fast and didn't like a big breakfast. My brain had not adapted though and so I filled up my plate with as much food as usual.

I've no idea, though, what it would have been like to have reduced my breakfast size after the first few fasts...perhaps it is something that occurs after a few weeks.

I'm sure that a lot of the "side-effects" are down to psychology not physiology!
hi Fillerbunny, this is my first fast day, to be honest i am starving, i am so looking forward to my breakfast, i think keeping in touch with the forum helps, i was struggling with what to eat with what as not to overdo the calories, i think the ready meals would make it more enjoyable, i really enjoyed my dinner tonight, feeling a bit headachy to night, but so glad i stayed with the 500 calories, first day over.
My first fast day was yesterday, too. I thought I'd be ravenous this morning, but I'm having to sip my coffee slowly. I think that in the early days, your body doesn't know what's going on, so it goes a bit haywire. I should imagine it'll settle down pretty soon, once you get into the rhythm of the fasting.
Yesterday was my first fast. I didn't eat anything until I got in from work - felt ok during the day if somewhat cold. I was famished when I got in though - I think I need to have something ready just to heat up straight away on fast days, I probably went over 500 calories for dinner because I started picking at crisp breads and a banana whilst waiting for it to cook! Maybe I need to have something mid afternoon? Feel ok this morning, just normal pre-breakfast peckishness - be interested to see if I feel more hungry than usual as the day progresses or not.
Well done everyone, and thanks Caroline! Yeah I think there's bound to be a period of adjustment. I did my second fast yesterday and found it easier than the first one, and slept *really* heavily last night. Today I feel fairly normal so far. Fingers crossed...
6 posts Page 1 of 1