The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

18 posts Page 1 of 2
I think I have cracked it!!
30 Jan 2013, 12:30
This is my second week on 5:2 and yesterday was my third fast. I decided to go all day without food and save it until the evening, and it was great. I used myfatsecret to monitor and plan my calories and ended up having 448, including a 100 ml of milk so I could have a few cups of tea. Didn't find it too hard at all, was getting hungry by 5pm but just distracted myself and had tea at 6pm, a little earlier than normal, but had nothing since then and don't feel ravenous. So think this is the way forward for me, will try the same on Thurs my next fast day
Re: I think I have cracked it!!
30 Jan 2013, 15:16
Excellent - well done fireflylady. Keep at it - there's a way out there for everyone! Good luck. :)
30 Jan 2013, 15:34
Sounds really positive. I think one of the biggest revelations that the horizon programme gave me was when Dr M said,and I paraphrase,"hunger passes -it comes in waves and doesn't get worse." I think that I always thought that when I was hungry I would become more ravenous,but he is right, hunger does come in waves and I am not so scared of feeling it now I have experienced it in the 5/2 diet.
30 Jan 2013, 15:40
Sounds good & well done.. Tomorrow will be my 3 rd day on 5:2 & I'm planning on having my 2nd fast.. Yesterday I spread my calories out as was up at 0430 for work so it was a long day but to be honest I think I could have gone the full 24 hours before eating.. I did the 16 hour rule & then it was a full 36 hours with only 500 calories in the end.. So thinking tomorrow I'm gonna try the 24hour thing depending what time I finishing eating today.. Only just having my lunch as not been hungry all day but don't wanna restrict calories on feeding days incase it messes things up!!..
30 Jan 2013, 15:59
Yes, it's funny isn't it? It's as if we're all experiencing proper hunger for the first time and finding that it comes and goes and isn't really a big deal after all! :roll:

I've stopped carrying a banana around with me and having an emergency oatcake by my bed. Panic over! :D
30 Jan 2013, 16:17
Last night at 11pm was the first time I'm my 31 years of life that I think I actually experienced proper hunger... I have never felt anything like it!!... I could have happily taken a chunk from my BF!! I was so very hungry... & to think some poor people can't have that feeling by choice like we can!!.. & I know what you mean about the emergency snacks lol I shan't be doing that anymore!!! So what if I have to go a few hours without good ill live as last night proved!! & ill feel better for it too!!
30 Jan 2013, 16:26
Yes, SamG123, took me a while to realise I wasn't going to have an attack of the vapours, keel over, go into a coma or start eating the furniture. :lol:

I don't even feel that hungry anymore on fast days - or any time (spookily :o )
30 Jan 2013, 16:44
Hmm, I did my first fast yesterday. My hunger was manageable all day (I ate at 2pm and 7pm) but by late evening it got worse and worse. I woke up at 2.30am, was still awake at 4am, painfully starving, and eventually had to eat some crumpets to get back to sleep!
30 Jan 2013, 16:53
Glenda, I'm sure it will improve.

I had to eat an oatcake in bed on the night of my first fast but not since. :)
30 Jan 2013, 16:54
Glenda that was me last night too but as I was up early for work I stayed in bed but I've never known hunger like it!!.. I had spread my calories out over the day however tomorrow when I fast again I'm gonna save them for one big meal at 5/6pm as do not wanna be like that again in bed!!.. I also thought I'd be starving today but I'm not & I'm forcing myself to eat at least 1500 calories as my TDEE at sedentary is about 1800 though I'm never sedentary anyway & according to my fitbit I burn about 2000-2400 depending on gym/work days so don't wanna be eating too low on feeding days..
30 Jan 2013, 17:00
Yes I switched to having all my calories in the evening to avoid bedtime hunger.

Seems like lots of people do this and also seems easier to fast all day if you don't start eating.
30 Jan 2013, 17:28
That's encouraging, folks. Thanks.
30 Jan 2013, 17:28
Don't forget to drink plenty of water. It'll help you feel full for longer. Soup is even better, if you can work it into your total calories, as it stays in the stomach longer then pure water.
30 Jan 2013, 17:33
I have found that since starting the 5:2 diet that I now know what it feels like to be hungry so on my eating days I am a lot more aware of what hunger is so am therefore less likely to snack.
30 Jan 2013, 17:46
Oh, and I have sleep problems anyway so I need to do my best to avoid. I might try a larger evening meal and no lunch tomorrow.
18 posts Page 1 of 2