The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello
14 Jan 2013, 06:43
Hi everyone

Having watched the Horizon programme last year and briefly tried the eating regieme then I have decided to give it a proper try this year. I need to shift 4 -5 stone and the other health benefits are very appealing

My plan is to have at least two fast days a week for 2013. The only exceptions will be holidays. I will also try and slip in the odd week with three days fasting to accelerate the weight loss, but won't beat myself up if I don't manage that very often.

I am also going to try the 2:2 alcohol advice - no more than 2 glasses with at least 2 days off a week (once again with exceptions for holidys :D ). I have actualy started an alcohol free month from 3/1 to 2/2 and have managed to stick to it so far.

I hope this group takes off and we can provide mutual support where we can celebrate our successes and let off steam when we need to
Re: Hello
14 Jan 2013, 13:38
Hi David,

I'm new here too. Good that we have somewhere to talk to other dieting victims! Your goals sound very ambitious (a trait I have noticed with 5:2 - people seem to be aiming really high, and it's worked).

I tried this briefly after the Horizon programme last year, but only lost two pounds. Laziness quickly kicked in. I have since put on nearly a stone, so, am ready again to lose it.

My goal? To lose two stone. I am on various medication for blood pressure and depression, which makes losing weight a lot more difficult - shedding even one pound is really difficult. The body just doesn't want to lose it!

My main concern with 5:2 is the hunger pangs, and in limiting my evening meal. Today is day 0, so, I'm going to try just eating veg tonight. Sounds ridiculous, but not eating carbs is my biggest challenge: I feel completely unsatisfied without some form of delicious carb. Potato, rice, pasta!

Good luck with your diet
14 Jan 2013, 14:26
Hi Will

Surprised you didn't lose much when you tried 5:2 before...how long did you do it for? Dr M says to have some protein because it helps stave off the hunger pangs. He suggests keeping the protein to below 60g but if you have fish or chicken with your veggies you can get a reasonable sized portion. If you don't have carbs you get a really massive pile of veggies, so stick with it. Dr M also says that the carbs make you more likely to have hunger pangs and to try to avoid them before a fast too if you find fast days a struggle (I have been following him on twitter so have noted some advice he has been giving).

I have been following the regime since the start of November and mostly don't notice hunger pangs now.

We are here to support you so instead of eating, come here and have a moan!

Good luck
14 Jan 2013, 14:31
Ha, thanks Caroline. Carbs are my (and, I think, other people's) biggest enemy. A few years ago I lost half a stone in a couple of months through a combination of stress/worry but mainly cutting out carbs. I was astonished how quickly it fell off, but it was quite painful never to have them (I'm talking about the lovely ones: potatoes, starch, pasta, white rice).

Good point though about protein. I suppose I can have a small piece of chicken tonight, with a vast amount of veg.

Glad to hear you don't suffer hunger pangs. It's 2.30pm now and I'm beginning to struggle!

I'll let you know how I get on!
14 Jan 2013, 14:42
Just remember, you can have your carbs tomorrow!

It has helped me to use the my fat secret website and app to track calories. I very roughly track calories on feed days just to make sure I am not going crazy, and try to make it so that over the week I eat no more than the number of calories the app says I need to lose weight. This has resulted in a 1 kg loss per week (apart from Xmas when I didn't fast for 2 weeks and put on a couple of kg so it shows how quickly one can backtrack!). Because of the low calorie days, the calorie allowance on the other days is fairly generous but remember that, as someone so succinctly put it, although you can eat anything you want you can't eat everything!

If you feel hunger pangs have a drink...water, tea, coffee, or a cup of Bovril, oxo or similar...and remember that the hunger pangs will soon pass.
14 Jan 2013, 15:08
I got about 2'ish as well and started feeling really grumpy so I had half a veg stock melt in a mug of hot water.

Only 5 cals and it felt really substanstial... I'll have to get some more of them :)
14 Jan 2013, 15:12
Veg stock - excellent idea. Will try that on the next fast. I guess my problem is feeling so tired/weak without food. I'm always amazed hearing that people manage to exercise when fasting. I feel ridiculously pathetic when I don't eat - something I assume will, if I don't cave in, pass in due course.

I am, though, surprised how easy people are finding it. We all need will power, and I probably have less than others, but even so - this isn't easy, or fun!
14 Jan 2013, 15:26
Sorry you're finding it hard going Will. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? Weight, height, rough idea of calories eaten on feed days?

If you have been used to high carbs, fast days can be a bit of a shock to the system. Your body does get used to it and seems to be able to keep your blood sugar levels steady more easily with time. It could be that your resting insulin levels are high resulting in low blood sugar and making you feel weak and wobbly. As your insulin levels drop, which they will as you continue with this lifestyle, your blood sugar levels on fast days will be better and you will feel more energetic.

Hang in there, dude!
14 Jan 2013, 15:32
You're absolutely right about insulin levels. At least, that's my belief - and one of the main reasons I want to do this, to reduce my risk of diabetes.

Age 30
Height 6ft 1
Weight 13 stone 13
No idea about calories. I eat very healthily on the whole, and cook almost all my meals, but am an enthusiastic eater and generally eat for two!

Target weight is 12 stone 8, ideally within six months. At a loss of 1 pound/week, which is what others seem to be capable of, that's 18 pounds I need to shed, just under five months. Let's see!
14 Jan 2013, 15:48
Quick calculation on the calorie counting app by my fat secret says you are allowed 2700 calories a day and you should lose weight (assuming low activity level; 2500 if sedentary, 3100 if active) so you are allowed more on fast days (25% of your RDI) than you have been having...675 in fact. Perhaps you can be kind to yourself and allow another 75 cals on fast days which might help with the hunger a bit too.
14 Jan 2013, 16:31
Interesting. 2700 seems high to me, but who am I to argue? I'll try and stick to 600 today (I've had two scrambled eggs and nothing else, so, should be fine!)

I've also been trying to find this mystery app - it's just "Fat Secret", not "My fat secret", hence why I couldn't find it!

Thanks for all your help and wisdom
14 Jan 2013, 22:07
The app will tell you what your RDI for slow weight loss is, based on your age, height, weight and activity level.
12 posts Page 1 of 1