The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

25 posts Page 1 of 2
Hyperthyroid no more!
09 Jan 2014, 16:38
So before IF, I was diagnosed with hyperactive thyroid. I had been on thyroid suppressing drugs for about 7 months when I started on January8, 2013, at 30mg per day.

About three and a half weeks ago, I was completely weaned off of my thyroid suppressing drugs -- these are drugs that suppress thyroid hormone production. I have had several low thyroid blood draws over the past year, followed by a reduction in medication, followed by wait time to see if my thyroid would stabilize at a good level, followed by another low thyroid blood draw, followed by more medication reductions, followed by more wait time to see if my thyroid would stabilize at a good level.

Well this morning I got the news that Tuesday's lab results were completely normal after nearly four weeks with no thyroid suppressing medications! The doctor is hopeful that I will be able to stay medication free :-)

So while my 11 pound weight loss over the past year isn't terribly inspiring, my doctor is very pleased that I've lost any weight at all with my thyroid levels over the past year and he is hopeful that I will be able to lose weight like a normal person now. *fingers crossed* I did take about five weeks off of fasting and dieting because the holiday season was so hectic and stressful - but I didn't gain any weight during that time, which I attribute to my fitbit/daily walking exercise.

So wish me luck - this week I have restarted 5:2 as a healthy (obese) person with no medical issues at all!
Re: Hyperthyroid no more!
09 Jan 2014, 16:40
Wow Tracie, that's fantastic!!! You must be soooo pleased! I bet your weight loss will really pick up now!

Perhaps you should ring into the Diane Rehms show right now with your story!!!
09 Jan 2014, 16:43
That is brilliant, very happy for you. Inspiring to others too. Good luck with the next stage of 5:2
09 Jan 2014, 16:47
Great news Tracie, so pleased for you!
09 Jan 2014, 16:49
:heart: Well done @Tracieknits That's absolutely fantastic news you must be feeling well chuffed, good luck for your onward 5:2 journey and we will travel together, cheers to bringing both our BMIs down hopefully from that O group. :drink: :drink:
09 Jan 2014, 16:55
Great news. Here's to your improved loss - you have been sooooo patient. :)
09 Jan 2014, 18:09
Yay! That is great news. I hope all continues to go well for you! :like:
09 Jan 2014, 18:33
Oh lucky you!! Had no idea that the body could repair this.....Assume that weightless will be much more easy now. Think I need to make an appointment with my GP and check my levels. Wonder might have happened now that I have lost a nice piece of weight over the last year.
Well done :like:
09 Jan 2014, 18:47
Excellent news and so inspiring {{{+}}} onwards and downwards :0)
09 Jan 2014, 18:55
Wonderful news @Tracieknits :like: :heart: :grin: :clover: :smile:
09 Jan 2014, 19:31
Brilliant news Tracie you must be so pleased :like:
09 Jan 2014, 20:08
That's great news Tracie, well done! :victory:
09 Jan 2014, 20:16
Fantastic news, it does work!
09 Jan 2014, 20:18
Thank you so much everyone!

And Wolfie - that's a great idea. Whenever you lose a chunk of weight, it's fair to assume some levels probably changed :-) I hope you get good news too!
09 Jan 2014, 20:50
Congratulations Tracieknits. That's great news!
25 posts Page 1 of 2