The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Anxiety and Fasting
05 Jun 2013, 22:16
I suffer from chronic anxiety syndrome and I was wondering if anyone out there also has anxiety or depression.

If you have, how has it effected your symptoms? I had a panic attack today and I'm worried it's linked to the fact that it's a fast day.
Re: Anxiety and Fasting
05 Jun 2013, 22:30
Hello stokerface, what a shame you suffer with those conditions. I do a lot of work with people who experience these sorts of conditions and I know how difficult it can make life! When you fast it is a bit stressful for the body and stress hormones are released (adrenals and cortisols), generally not at big triggering levels though. These same stress hormones are also released during anxiety. Therefore, I imagine this may explain your panic attack. I'm sure you've heard it before but try to breathe through it and not let anxiety boss you around! Good luck
05 Jun 2013, 22:48
I have anxiety and depression. I haven't had any changes in my panic attacks since starting this WoE. Early on I found that if I put off eating until dinner time I felt bad enough that I tipped into depression. Getting thru my day can be hard enough without having to fight a lack of energy and feeling cold. I'd end up cocooning in bed or in front of the TV and getting nothing done.

10 weeks or so in and my general "every day" anxiety has lessened a bit due to losing weight and feeling better about myself.
06 Jun 2013, 00:24
I started 5 2 8 weeks ago and occasionally and get anxiety when fasting. Once I eat I calm right down. It is a challenge but I have been able to walk thru it. I'm calling willpower. I will be successful losing weight.
06 Jun 2013, 06:51
The ketones created during fasting can have an antidepressive effect, but the slight stress of fasting can counteract this at first. I think that as time goes on the antidepressive effect will dominate. I would not rush to assign your panic attack to it being a fast day...we humans are too ready to see patterns where none exist! The benefits of fasting on brain chemistry should help in the long term I would hope.
06 Jun 2013, 06:56
Hi there.

with the first few fasts i found myself getting down toward the end of the day. Now i'm on fast 7 and I feel much more positive on a fasting day, and my mind doesnt seem to race as much?

I feel much more positive.

I hope it balances out soon :)
06 Jun 2013, 06:59
Very interesting I suffer from night panic attacks, I've been feeling very positive and in control since being on 5:2 but recently they have got worse, I think it may be that I'm more alert in the evenings and have more energy, and when I go to bed my body is tired but my mind alert, in the past I've had a few wines at night which was like a relaxant, I'm trying a new routine relaxing bath & chamomile tea.
12 Jun 2013, 14:39
Thank you everyone for your replies. Just knowing that it's not just me helps a lot! Lynzinthesun, if you're having trouble at night can I recommend Guided Imagery. I have a CD from my hynotherapist that is amazing, I've really suffered with night panic attacks and night terrors over the last couple of years and they've all but gone since I've started listening to this. I've sure you'll be able to find some relaxation specific ones on the net or contact MarkMansfield.com - that's my hypnotherapist and I'm sure you could get a CD off him.
17 Jun 2013, 08:31
stokerface wrote: Thank you everyone for your replies. Just knowing that it's not just me helps a lot! Lynzinthesun, if you're having trouble at night can I recommend Guided Imagery. I have a CD from my hynotherapist that is amazing, I've really suffered with night panic attacks and night terrors over the last couple of years and they've all but gone since I've started listening to this. I've sure you'll be able to find some relaxation specific ones on the net or contact MarkMansfield.com - that's my hypnotherapist and I'm sure you could get a CD off him.

Thanks to you too - will check it out - BTW love your blog x
9 posts Page 1 of 1