The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Seeking advice from pro 5:2ers
27 Aug 2013, 14:14
I'm nearing my 6 month anniversary of being on the 5:2. I've lost 18 lbs. of which I'm grateful! However, as with many, it's slowed way down to nothing in the last several weeks. I've been consistant with my fast days and only a couple of times have a I ventured over the 500 calorie range. I've stuck to my TDEE on feed days, for the most part.

My question is:
To kick my weight loss back into gear, should I
A) Try 4:3
B) Try 16:8
C) Try liquid only fasts
D) Add exercise

Please don't say all four! That would be dreadful. I'm just curious what the majority of you have tried and had success with, if you went thru several weeks with no weight loss. I have no intention of quitting, but would sure like to start losing again. At 6 months, I should have lost 25 lbs., if I were to be at the 1 lb. a week status. I would just like to know what 'extra' thing would work best. I'd surely rather not add an extra day of fasting, or keep my eating in an 8 hr. window, or only have liquids on fasts, unless I'm sure it will help me lose again. I'm willing to try any of them, but would appreciate your input. Thanks!
My personal vote would go to 16:8 and exercise. Mainly because that is what I'm now doing and partly because I couldn't do either of the other two options. :clover:
Adding exercise should kick it in again. Think a few of us hit that nasty plateaux at 18lb.
Firstly, don't make any changes that you don't feel you can stick to in the long term or you may end up resenting it!

How do you do your fasts? Do you split your calories or do you have just one meal? What sort of things do you eat on your fasts?

I plateaued for 7 weeks, you might find my blog helpful:
www.the52dietplan.com/losing-weight-aga ... t-plateau/

I would also suggest keeping an honest food diary for a couple of weeks and just make sure you actually are eating to TDEE on your feeds. It's easy for extra calories to slip in here and there - a pinch of grated cheese while prepping dinner, slightly more sugar in your tea/coffee than you thought etc etc.
I agree with Moogie...try whichever seems the most appealing but first, check how many calories you are eating each week.

For me, 16:8 has resulted in a speed up in weightloss. I think that not eating until lunch, as long as I eat normally for the rest of the day gives me a daily calorie reduction of around 300-500 cals. This is because on a feast day I used to have breakfast and often I would also have a piece of cake with mid-morning coffee. Both of these are carb-heavy, so by going to 16:8 I have also cut my carb intake. Some people are more sensitive to carb intake than others so that simply cutting carbs can improve weightloss. So, you could add to your list option E) cut down on carbs.
Can someone explain what 16:8 is, I'm new to this!
Susywoozy check out ballerina's post for it as she booted it for me few days ago :clover: Sue

Oops nearly forgot Cindy I'm doing 4:3 but if you don't fancy the extra day go with 16:8 as its working for Caroline :clover: Sue
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Moogie....I split my fast days into 2 meals. Either a can of soup or a frozen entree which are all between 200-300 calories each. I have one around noon, and the other around 6:00 pm. Otherwise I fill up on water. Also, when I first began, I kept very close track of my TDEE thru Fitnesspal. I have since quit doing that, but always mentally keep track, as I learned from doing that, that 1 oreo is 70 calories, etc.

Caroees.....that sounds like a good idea, to not start eating until noon on feed days. Then all I would have to do is stop eating at 8:00 and I'm doing the 16:8! Guess I'll give that a shot. Oh, and I'm getting a new treadmill, so I'll add exercise too! Again, thanks for the responses and I welcome more!
I do fasting monday/Wednesday and a half fast Friday which occasionally turns into a full fast, seems to have helped my weight loss be more consistent. I also balance out a binge with skipping breakfast if I need to, I weigh daily and this seems to keep me more in control of my weight loss as I recognise the patterns now. Good luck getting off your plateau! :0)
9 posts Page 1 of 1