The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

24 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: 5weeks in & Still nothing
18 Mar 2013, 20:38
BettyB4 wrote: I've decided I'm going to stop moaning. Keep with it. I know I'm doing it right. I'm not stuffing my face on feed days, if anything I'm less hungry. I'm going to stick with it, keep up the gym/swimming/walking. Maybe it's just taking a while for my body to adjust, I've always struggled to lose weight. I feel better on this, my energy levels are up and I don't want to give up. I've had a really great fast day today. I feel good and ill weigh in tomorrow and also take my measurements. I might just weigh in one a month from now on? As long as I'm not gaining eh!

Well done you, that's great to read.
I think measuring would be a good idea. Also the weighing once a month if you can. To be honest I would fine that harder than the fasting is! Good luck :smile:
18 Mar 2013, 20:43
Hi BettyB4,

Glad to hear you are going to stick with it! Definitely the correct choice!

"Nothing"

I note that your profile indicates you have lost 1.36 kg since 11/02. To be honest, it doesn't look to far off the "1 lb a week" average for the group.
I'm sure just double checking what your eating on feed days and being patient will see you heading in the right direction real soon!
18 Mar 2013, 20:47
It sounds like you're getting fitter too?
18 Mar 2013, 21:03
I didn't lose anything for the first 3 weeks either and then started losing a pound a week. However, if I go over my TDEE the weight will go back on even if I compensate for a couple of days by eating less! I think for some of us it takes a while for our bodies to adjust to the new eating regime.
19 Mar 2013, 11:44
I said my wife was in the same boat so it's only fair to report that she lost 3lb this week after losing virtually nothing over the last 4 or 5 (I've lost track.) Stick with it, I reckon.
19 Mar 2013, 13:37
BettyB4 wrote: Thanks guys.
I do 2 sleep fasts. If I get peckish I have a cuppa soup 89 cals then a main meal on fast days, mostly fish and veg then 40cals kept for a wee highlights before bed.
On feed days I tend to be around the 1500 cal mark apart from weekends it's closer to 2000 cals. I don't drink juice, can't stand fizzy drinks, only water/tea. If I snack it's on nuts, don't eat crisps. Chocolate is confined to weekends and small amount as a treat. I even upped my cals as per the tdee but not helped. I'm just unsure on how to proceed. I'm sticking to this 100%, even gave up the wine.

There is no magic trick to this. If you are not losing weight, it is because you are taking in too many calories somewhere along the line, either on fast days or on feed days.

500 calories on fast days. On feed days, eat responsibly. What does responsibly mean? It means eat what you would normally eat to sustain your weight. If it is not working, try going off the fast for three weeks. Weigh yourself everyday and try to maintain your weight. Then go back on the fast. You do this so that you gain a sense of what normal eating is. When you go back on the fast, you should lose 1-2 pounds per week or more if you are 218 pounds.
19 Mar 2013, 14:18
Two questions: what did your TDEE calculation come out like? Have you been diagnosed/had symptoms of underactive thyroid?

Actually three questions: which TDEE calculator did you use? Try several and see what the average is.
20 Mar 2013, 12:42
I think it is easy to lose track of what 'normal' eating is. On 'feed' days I am sometimes at a loss, and wonder what I used to eat! Anything near my required calorie intake for weight maintenance seems really greedy now. It would almost be a relief to fast all the time, though I know that would lead to yet more dysfunction around food. I do sometimes wonder what I have started, even though I am really pleased with my new bod...........
20 Mar 2013, 17:15
Firstly, thanks everyone for your input on this topic. It seems as though sticking to 1500cals tue, thur and fri, fasting on mon & tue and then allowing myself a little more at weekends might actually be ok for me. As much as the scales are not in my favour, yesterday I weighed in after my fast on Monday and my 3.5lbs are back OFF again, I know for a fact I am not over consuming on cals but I have also lost an accumulated 8 inches. This being from Chest, hips, thighs and around my belly button.
So 2nd fast day of the week tomorrow and let's see after another 5 weeks.
24 posts Page 2 of 2